Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Passing

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:05 am

Absolutely appalling passing display in the last two games .Havent seen one decent passage of play where we have ended up with a decent through ball or a dangerous attack .Constantly giving the ball away !

Is this even being worked in in training ?

Re: Passing

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:55 am

Sonder89 wrote:Absolutely appalling passing display in the last two games .Havent seen one decent passage of play where we have ended up with a decent through ball or a dangerous attack .Constantly giving the ball away !

Did you miss the excellent Camarasa pass for NML who then almost set up Pats for a tap in? Excellent defending stopped it.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:03 pm

But we do need most of the passes to be effective not just one every now and then.

Look at the upper sides. We are capable of amazing performances reasonably often. Top sides reasonable performances are as good and better than our amazing performances and they turn those out every week pretty much. Passing is a fundamental part of the game and these are well paid full time pros. If we want to regularly challenge better sides we need more than one dangerous pass a game.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:06 pm

maccydee wrote:
Sonder89 wrote:Absolutely appalling passing display in the last two games .Havent seen one decent passage of play where we have ended up with a decent through ball or a dangerous attack .Constantly giving the ball away !

Did you miss the excellent Camarasa pass for NML who then almost set up Pats for a tap in? Excellent defending stopped it.

I assume you are being ironic......I think you understand the essence of what he's saying :thumbup:

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:39 pm

moonboots wrote:
maccydee wrote:

I assume you are being ironic......I think you understand the essence of what he's saying :thumbup:

Not at all.

He said he hasn’t seen one decent passage of play. I pointed out a decent passage of play.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:48 pm

maccydee wrote:
moonboots wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Not at all.

He said he hasn’t seen one decent passage of play. I pointed out a decent passage of play.

Ok

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:47 pm

I think there's a reason why our passing looks so poor this season and it's to do with the way many of the opposition teams play.

The trend at the moment seems to be mainly a variation on the Guardiola method he introduced at Barcelona of "if you lose the ball you have to get it back within x amount of seconds".

So when we get possession the opposition are immediately in our faces putting us under pressure with sometimes two or three players surrounding our man with the ball. This tends to happen high up the pitch which is causing problems with our passing as we have very few players who have the composure to be comfortable on the ball when pressured.

We on the other hand do the opposite. The other team can have the ball as much as they like up to the edge of our box with little or no attempt made to win the ball back quickly when we lose possession. When quality players are allowed to get to the edge of our box without a challenge being made (and often into the box unchallengend as in the first goal yesterday, at Watford and against Man United) then you're going to be in trouble.

Our lack of composure on the ball is a real worry. If we do try to put any pressure on then even teams like Huddersfield pass it round us with ease. The amount of time our midfield is completely bypassed with just one or two passes is frightening.

Hopefully we can sign someone with a bit of composure on the ball who can actually put a foot on the ball and dictate the flow of the game.