Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sanity Check Please Guys.....

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:05 am

First of all, i don't disagree that our last 2 performances have been absolutely dire and yes it has me very worried, but.....

I read so many negative posts about Neil Warnock not spending wisely, and tactics/selections all wrong. I would argue that he has, and continues to do an excellent job for us.

1. When he got us 'promoted' he had a budget that did not compare with many Championship rivals. He used what money was available to bolster the squad, so that we had options and to cover injuries.

2. As a manager he has probably made some wrong decisions, but we assume he bought all players to put straight into the team when some were obviously bought as cover for that 'Just in Case' scenario. This could even include Madine, £6m in todays world is not that big a sum, even when comparing to other Championship sides purchases.

3. How many of you have make decisions which are correct every time, when you go to work? Surely it is about achieving the target at the end (Last year I doubt if the target was automatic promotion, but Warnock achieved that anyway. This year the target is survival, and we are currently in 18th position and (hopefully) strengthening with better quality and in positions which we all recognise need bolstering.

4. Maybe we did have funds available in the summer but, again in comparison with other potential strugglers, his budget was lower than most (If not all). The money that was available was probably less than a lot of the top half Championship sides.

5. We are trying to manage a football club here, and balance the books, look at the mistakes made under Malky and OGS. We had to get on a selling spree to try to balance our books again. Has anyone thought, based on the fact that we were/are relegation favourites, that the Management said we obviously need to get a few players in on minimal budget to help us compete at this level, and if we have not performed at least we have not overcommitted but..... If we are in a position where we could pull of the miracle, we will have had the opportunity to see who has stepped up to the grade and where we see our weaknesses, so we can invest our limited funds in the best area's to give us a fighting chance.

Again, I have to say I am worried after the last 2 performances, but people are questioning why we haven't used Reid and Murphy more (And I am a big fan of Murphy in particular). I would argue that now we have Sala, and Niasse, then it will provide them more opportunity and they will be in the team more often, as they are clearly needed along with ML, Camarasa, Arter to provide a service and create opportunities.

I feel for Paterson, because I don't know where he will fit in, but what a player he has given his all for the shirt every game and provided the versatility to fit in where we needed as a temporary stop gap.

We have Arsenal next, and I don't think we can expect anything out of that. I am now excited about what might happen starting at home to Bournemouth, let's see how we set up against them and hopefully the performance will get people buzzing again.

I have followed Cardiff since 1975/76 season, and I have never seen the fans get behind the team in the way we have this year. Everyone has been awesome, so let's not turn now, we knew this season was going to be very tough with lots of Ups and Downs.

Warnock to stay, without any question he is still the best person for the job.....

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Re: Sanity Check Please Guys.....

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:55 am

:thumbup:

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:58 am

Lawnmower wrote::thumbup:

Double :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:05 am

Keli wrote:First of all, i don't disagree that our last 2 performances have been absolutely dire and yes it has me very worried, but.....

I read so many negative posts about Neil Warnock not spending wisely, and tactics/selections all wrong. I would argue that he has, and continues to do an excellent job for us.

1. When he got us 'promoted' he had a budget that did not compare with many Championship rivals. He used what money was available to bolster the squad, so that we had options and to cover injuries.

2. As a manager he has probably made some wrong decisions, but we assume he bought all players to put straight into the team when some were obviously bought as cover for that 'Just in Case' scenario. This could even include Madine, £6m in todays world is not that big a sum, even when comparing to other Championship sides purchases.

3. How many of you have make decisions which are correct every time, when you go to work? Surely it is about achieving the target at the end (Last year I doubt if the target was automatic promotion, but Warnock achieved that anyway. This year the target is survival, and we are currently in 18th position and (hopefully) strengthening with better quality and in positions which we all recognise need bolstering.

4. Maybe we did have funds available in the summer but, again in comparison with other potential strugglers, his budget was lower than most (If not all). The money that was available was probably less than a lot of the top half Championship sides.

5. We are trying to manage a football club here, and balance the books, look at the mistakes made under Malky and OGS. We had to get on a selling spree to try to balance our books again. Has anyone thought, based on the fact that we were/are relegation favourites, that the Management said we obviously need to get a few players in on minimal budget to help us compete at this level, and if we have not performed at least we have not overcommitted but..... If we are in a position where we could pull of the miracle, we will have had the opportunity to see who has stepped up to the grade and where we see our weaknesses, so we can invest our limited funds in the best area's to give us a fighting chance.

Again, I have to say I am worried after the last 2 performances, but people are questioning why we haven't used Reid and Murphy more (And I am a big fan of Murphy in particular). I would argue that now we have Sala, and Niasse, then it will provide them more opportunity and they will be in the team more often, as they are clearly needed along with ML, Camarasa, Arter to provide a service and create opportunities.

I feel for Paterson, because I don't know where he will fit in, but what a player he has given his all for the shirt every game and provided the versatility to fit in where we needed as a temporary stop gap.

We have Arsenal next, and I don't think we can expect anything out of that. I am now excited about what might happen starting at home to Bournemouth, let's see how we set up against them and hopefully the performance will get people buzzing again.

I have followed Cardiff since 1975/76 season, and I have never seen the fans get behind the team in the way we have this year. Everyone has been awesome, so let's not turn now, we knew this season was going to be very tough with lots of Ups and Downs.

Warnock to stay, without any question he is still the best person for the job.....

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Good post, we are suffering a few injuries and the players are looking fatigued, hopefully, a weeks rest and some of them can shake off the knocks and regains some energy :thumbup:

We need Arrter, Gunner, Morrison and Murphy on the field asap

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:44 pm

A very sensible and balanced post. Have you posted on the wrong board?
Our biggest weakness has been scoring goals. So we have brought in 2 new strikers. What’s wrong with that?
Yes - we are probably still favourites to go down but we can’t just throw in the towel. I’m trying to be realistic but without being as unbelievably negative like many people on here

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:23 pm

A great post.
Yes we have had a terrible January. But we have almost 10 days before our next game,to rest and our new players to get used to their new teammates,and maybe with another two to come in.
We are within 3 points of 4 teams. So it's not exactly terminal,but I agree we need a big improvement,but I'm sure that can be achieved . I think Huddersfield 10 and Fulham 7 points from safety,are gone but we are still alive and fighting,at the moment.
Let's see how it pans out.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:58 pm

Could be worse - look at Fulham.. They spent over 100m and still way below us those muppets!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.