Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HARRY ARTER SITUATION 'RULES' EXPLAINED

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:06 am

Harry Arter's Cardiff City situation, what the loan rules say and why Aston Villa and Watford face disappointment

Monday 21st January 2019

Harry Arter, despite being absent from Cardiff City's 3-0 defeat to Newcastle, has become a major talking point.

And it's not just because of the groin injury that ensured Arter missed the Magpies' defeat , but rumours the Republic of Ireland international could make a shock departure from Cardiff this month.

Irish media claim parent club Bournemouth are considering recalling Arter, from his season-long loan to the Bluebirds, with it understood that the agreement to take the 29-year-old from the south coast to south Wales included the option to recall in January.

[i]This is what the rules say

Law 53.2.2 in the Football League rules states the following:

"Any recall clause requiring the early termination of a Standard Loan can only be included in a full Season Standard Loan and this can only be activated during the second (January) Transfer Window.

"Any other early termination of a Standard Loan must be by way of a mutual agreement in writing (including by way of a recall clause within the Standard Loan Agreement) between both Clubs and the Player but can only be completed after the expiry of 28 days and only during a Transfer Window."

In short, if all parties agree, then he can technically be recalled. Cardiff are certain to not want this to happen, of course, so could block it, but it's not totally unrealistic to suggest their hand may be forced if Arter wants a permanent move.

As for an actual recall clause, which Cardiff could do nothing about, we understand there isn't one in this instance and Cardiff fully expect Arter to be at the club until the end of the season.

The other clubs

Aston Villa and Watford are reportedly interested, with the Hornets - who were keen on the combative midfield star in the summer - surely the more likely destination for a player who is undoubtedly Premier League quality.

Bournemouth may choose to cash in on Arter rather than allow his Cardiff loan to continue. He is contracted to them until the summer of 2021 and would fetch upwards of £10million.

The Cherries have done this before, recalling Lewis Grabban from his loan to Sunderland 12 months ago because they wanted to sell the striker.

In the end, Grabban went on loan again, though it was a more lucrative deal (in Bournemouth's eyes) to Villa, before Nottingham Forest paid the Vitality Stadium club around £6million for the 31-year-old in the summer.

What Arter wants

The positive for Bluebirds fans is Arter has shown no signs of being unsettled at Cardiff, in fact quite the opposite.

That's despite living in London with his partner Rachel and commuting to Cardiff on the train from Paddington, staying over in a flat in the Welsh capital from time to time.

This is what he said back in November : "I've said to my family already the dream season would be Cardiff to stay up, the manager to stay on and then hopefully I can sign because I've loved every minute of being here.

"I've loved every training session and every game. Every home game has had a meaning and the fans have been brilliant.

"That's down to the lads - they can see they're giving their all. Fingers crossed, it stays this good for me and we can sit after the 38th game with us having stayed up and looking to stay here permanently."

What it means for Cardiff

With the Bluebirds already in the hunt for a midfielder player this month and failing to land Adrien Tameze from OGC Nice, the albeit unlikely event of Arter leaving would be a huge problem.

Joe Ralls has looked short of confidence this season, again disappointing in the defeat to Newcastle, while Aron Gunnarsson's fitness remains a concern for Warnock.

One small positive of Arter leaving is it would open the space for Warnock to sign another Premier League player loan, possibly Victor Moses or another central midfielder.

The worst case scenario would be for Arter to leave and Cardiff not sign a midfielder, leaving Ralls, Gunnarsson and Victor Camarasa as the only recognised midfielders. Loic Damour is expected to leave the Bluebirds this month.

Cardiff would also lose a player who has looked as comfortable in the Premier League as anyone else in their squad. They'd miss Arter's intensity, pressing, tackling and his underrated knack of picking a pass.

In other words, the Bluebirds must remind Arter how he is valued and ensure he remains until the end of the season (as a minimum) to help out in the relegation scrap. Thankfully, that seems the likely outcome at this stage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: HARRY ARTER SITUATION 'RULES' EXPLAINED

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:20 am

Nothing is out there to suggest (a) Harry Arter wants to be recalled (he has stated he is very happy here and would like to stay beyond this season), and (b) City would agree to any request by Bournemouth if (and it is reported that it isn't) it is written in to the 'season long loan agreement'

Happy with that, as Harry after is a popular player amongst City fans and both they and the manager would be gutted to see him go! :thumbright: :notworthy:

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:21 am

I think that the only realistic danger is Watford. Until there's an announcement we don't know , but after that article was published Wales Online changed its mind and said they thought there was a release clause.
It'd be a disaster, but it could be fixed and my real worry is some last minute development which doesn't give us time to cover it by bringing in another player in the window.
The other way is to make an offer to buy him ourselves with a relagation release clause.

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:24 pm

The best logic which I can apply to this is that if it were completely untrue, then one of the parties at least would have denied it by now because it's a quite destructive story to be out there.
We mustn't be caught short at the last moment and unable to replace him for this vital run of games

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Losing him would be nothing short of a disaster.

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:02 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Losing him would be nothing short of a disaster.

Agree! :thumbright:

To me (as proved v Newcastle) Arter would be a massive loss; but confident he's staying with us :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:27 pm

I hope you're right, and you may well be, but in the absence of a denial by either club or the player himself, I think we'd be wise to assume that there's some negotiation in progress. It'd be a nasty trick by Bournemouth if it happened actually and a potentially very damaging one.
Having said this , we don't know whether any such negotiations would complete of course.
Once again , all we can do is see what happens but prepare ourselves for a potential shock and have a plan b ready to go.

I think we must be prepared to spend money if necessary to avoid this problem because it could undermine all the other efforts to reinvigorate the team and do what is necessary in the coming games .

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Sven wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Losing him would be nothing short of a disaster.

Agree! :thumbright:

To me (as proved v Newcastle) Arter would be a massive loss; but confident he's staying with us :ayatollah:

The Watford one concerns me to be honest, likely to stay up and he would get a new and potentially improved contact, nearer to home.

Hopefully he stays as to me he is the one player who has real premier league quality and experience.