Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ The pilot is officially named “

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:15 pm

0941F711-949B-428C-9197-B2362419A4CB.jpeg

Wednesday 23rd January 2019

By David Elliott, Charlie Wilson, Katie Sands

The pilot who is missing along with Emiliano Sala has now been named as Dave Ibbotson.

Mr Ibbotson, from North Lincolnshire, and new Cardiff City signing Sala, are both unaccounted for after the light aircraft they were travelling in disappeared from radar near the Channel Islands on Monday, Grimsby Live reports .

The plane had taken off from the French city of Nantes, where Sala had been saying farewell to his ex-team-mates, and was destined to land in Cardiff.

A search operation has been under way since the alarm was raised at around 8.30pm on Monday.

Guernsey Police said on Tuesday that a number of floating objects have been spotted in the water during the search operation, but authorities have been unable to confirm if they are from the missing aircraft.

The search resumed on Wednesday at 7.30am, with the search focusing on coastal areas around Alderney and off-lying rocks and islands.

5604FD5B-7038-4410-A27F-0A3A3D2F5E06.jpeg

Grimsby Live report that Mr Ibbotson is an experienced private pilot from Crowle, near Scunthorpe.

It is understood Mr Ibbotson had been hired along with the Norfolk-registered single engine plane, by Sala’s representatives to fly the player to Cardiff after he had said his farewells.

Mr Ibbotson, who worked as a gas engineer based in Crowle, is believed to have had extensive experience carrying parachute enthusiasts on flights from private airfields.

On Saturday night, Mr Ibbotson checked in on Facebook to the Les Champs d’Avaux hotel at Nantes Atlantique airport.

Today at the family house in Crowle, 10 miles from Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire, a woman who was visibly upset said: “We do not wish to give a comment.”

It comes as police have said a decision over whether to continue the search will be taken later today (Wednesday).

Further details of the plane Sala and Mr Ibbotson were travelling on have come to light today.

Cardiff say they did not organise the private flight for record signing Sala.

The club told WalesOnline this morning that they offered their £15million new striker a commercial flight to come to Cardiff to link up with his team-mates for the first time.

However, other travel arrangements for the journey over the English Channel were made at Sala’s end.

Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman said on Wednesday morning: "I can say to you categorically that the plane had nothing to do with Cardiff City.

“We were not involved in booking the plane. In fact, we are trying to ascertain ourselves exactly what did happen. The club is looking into the matter and we want to find answers too.

“We spoke to the player and asked him if he wanted us to make arrangements for his flight which, quite frankly, would have been commercial.

“I can’t tell you who arranged the flight because I don’t know at this stage - but it certainly wasn’t Cardiff City.”

Cardiff City did not organise Emiliano Sala private plane, chairman Mehmet Dalman says

The UK’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch confirmed they are investigating the loss of the aircraft.

In a statement, they said: "On Monday night, a US-registered Piper PA-46-310P Malibu aircraft (registration N264DB) was lost from radar north of Guernsey.

“The aircraft was en route from Nantes, France, to Cardiff, United Kingdom, with one pilot and one passenger on board.

“In accordance with international protocols, the AAIB is investigating the loss of the aircraft.

“Since Tuesday morning, we have been working closely with international authorities including the US National Transportation Safety Board, the Bureau d’Enquetes & d’Analyses (BEA) in France and the Junta de Investigacion de Accidentes de Aviacion Civil (JIACC) in Argentina.

“We will be gathering all the available evidence to conduct a thorough investigation. However, if the aircraft is not found it is likely to limit the scope of the investigation.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ The pilot is officially named “

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:42 pm

So he's a plumber who takes people on parachute jumps to earn a bit extra. This is getting even more desperately sad if that's possible.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:47 pm

The more I hear about this flight the worse it gets. Who in God's name thought this was a good idea. Maybe the pilot? I don't know. Dear god why didn't he take the offered commercial flight.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:53 pm

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:18 pm

Lets hope the investigation brings everything out in the open.

Been reading the pilots forums and they are stating you may want to jeopardise your own life by flying a single engined prop at night but you never ever put passengers in any danger especially passengers who may not be aware of the dangers.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:22 pm

fred keenor wrote:Lets hope the investigation brings everything out in the open.

Been reading the pilots forums and they are stating you may want to jeopardise your own life by flying a single engined prop at night but you never ever put passengers in any danger especially passengers who may not be aware of the dangers.

its appears its almost akin to hiring a minibus for the night.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:29 pm

It will be interesting to see what role, if any, Emiliano Sala's football agent had in this. Unless I have missed something, Meïssa N'diaye does not seem to have made any official comment. He is also football agent for Sol Bamba. Football agents often make travel arrangements for players in such circumstances.
However, only time will provide the answers I suppose, and it's best not to speculate. Most of the storywill come out in due course.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:35 pm

'I'm a little bit rusty with the landing system': British pilot's chilling warning hours before plane chartered by football agent Willie McKay disappeared over the Channel with Cardiff's £15million striker onboard

Scottish mega-agent Willie McKay has made millions helping top French stars move to England's top leagues
His son is said to have helped broker Emiliano Sala's big money move to the UK and his flight to Cardiff
Chief of sea search John Fitzgerald reveals 'hope' is gone and operation is recovery, not a hunt for survivors
Victoria's Secret star Berenice Schkair, 27, blamed 'football mafia' and said: 'I can't believe this is an accident'
WhatsApp audio note has emerged of 'scared' Premier League striker speaking from doomed flight
From aircraft Sala told a group of close friends: 'I am now aboard a plane that seems like it is falling to pieces'
He later said he was 'getting scared' and told them to send someone to find him if they didn't hear from him
Sala and his pilot disappeared at 8.30pm on Monday in the Piper Malibu near Alderney in the Channel Islands
Cardiff City's chairman revealed their new star turned down their offer of a commercial flight to Wales

By MARTIN ROBINSON, CHIEF REPORTER FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 14:04, 23 January 2019 | UPDATED: 15:21, 23 January 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pm

I cant help think there's something very dodgy around the mistaken identity of the pilot. They were adamant that the original pilot had checked in and briefly they thought 3 were on the plane.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:43 pm

epping blue wrote:I cant help think there's something very dodgy around the mistaken identity of the pilot. They were adamant that the original pilot had checked in and briefly they thought 3 were on the plane.

I completely agree. I've been following Nantes journalist Arnaud Wajdzik's Twitter. Here are some of his tweets the past few hours:

"Contacted by The Times, Dave Henderson formally denies having been in Nantes Monday evening. Curious: his name is on the list of controls".

"Disappearance of the plane with Sala. Why did this famous Dave Henderson, a veteran pilot who did not board at #Nantes, remove his Facebook profile?"

I honestly believe if the plane really landed/crashed into the sea, it would have been found by now. Until the plane is found, I will remain hopeful it's landed on a tiny, remote island with no signal to communicate, however slim that possibility is.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm

The missing pilot carrying Emiliano Sala admitted he was a "bit rusty" in a Facebook message before flying to Nantes.

The pilot flying the plane carrying the record Cardiff City signing has been confirmed as 60-year-old Brit Dave Ibbotson.

The father-of-three, from North Lincolnshire, was at the controls of the single engine aircraft carrying the £15million striker from Nantes.

He and Sala are currently feared dead having been confirmed as the only two people on board. Previous reports of a third person have now been discounted.

The Piper PA-46 Malibu being flown by Mr Ibbotson went missing on Monday evening near the Channel Islands on the way to Cardiff.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:24 pm

60 year old pilot , could have been a heart attack . RIP.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:57 am

Lengee wrote:It will be interesting to see what role, if any, Emiliano Sala's football agent had in this. Unless I have missed something, Meïssa N'diaye does not seem to have made any official comment. He is also football agent for Sol Bamba. Football agents often make travel arrangements for players in such circumstances.
However, only time will provide the answers I suppose, and it's best not to speculate. Most of the storywill come out in due course.

as stated above. Now it appears that hope of a successful outcome has faded, the actual facts around who made the travel arrangements, and how appropriate they were is now being questioned. Mr Mc Kay apparently did the arrangements. The big question is why?
Why was a private flight arranged as opposed to the more logical commercial flight, (as suggested by City), chosen. Then, if choosing a private flights go for a cheap airplane and in bad weather.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:01 am

Lengee wrote:
Lengee wrote:It will be interesting to see what role, if any, Emiliano Sala's football agent had in this. Unless I have missed something, Meïssa N'diaye does not seem to have made any official comment. He is also football agent for Sol Bamba. Football agents often make travel arrangements for players in such circumstances.

as stated above. Now it appears that hope of a successful outcome has faded, the actual facts around who made the travel arrangements, and how appropriate they were is now being questioned. Mr Mc Kay apparently did the arrangements. The big question is why?
Why was a private flight arranged as opposed to the more logical commercial flight, (as suggested by City), chosen. Then, if choosing a private flights go for a cheap airplane and in bad weather.

possibly time. commercial flights are at set times and have set routes which mean you have to travel to and get from airports.
there was no Nantes to Cardiff flight that night so hours and hours of travelling would be involved.
Emiliano was due to train for the 1st time with us the following morning and seemingly went back to say quite a few farewells and the commercial flight would have curtailed the later by quite a few hours ?

the pilot/plane were after all providing a service and therefore possibly not calling the shots regarding times..

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:01 am

Lengee wrote:

possibly time. commercial flights are at set times and have set routes which mean you have to travel to and get from airports.
there was no Nantes to Cardiff flight that night so hours and hours of travelling would be involved.
Emiliano was due to train for the 1st time with us the following morning and seemingly went back to say quite a few farewells and the commercial flight would have curtailed the later by quite a few hours ?

the pilot/plane were after all providing a service and therefore possibly not calling the shots regarding times..