Swansea City fans march against American owners

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Hundreds of Swansea City fans march through streets to protest against the club's American owners

Fans march in protest against Swansea City's American owners

Saturday 9th February 2019

Swansea City fans have aired their frustrations and anger towards the club's American owners by holding a protest march ahead of the clash with Millwall.

An estimated 300 supporters marched from Castle Gardens to the Liberty Stadium, with many using the event as a chance to voice their concerns following another desperately disappointing transfer window.

Swansea loaned out Wilfried Bony, Jefferson Montero and Tom Carroll on transfer deadline day while captain Leroy Fer and academy winger Daniel James were also close to securing exits from the Liberty Stadium.

Both players stayed at the club, but not a single player was added to Graham Potter's squad, which was already depleted by a difficult summer window.

Chairman Huw Jenkins has since left his position at the club, but fans nevertheless remain angry at majority shareholders Steve Kaplan and Jason Levien , who now face several big questions.

Chief Operating Officer Chris Pearlman today issued a detail statement on the club's transfer window activity and financial issues following relegation last season. You can read that here.

Take a look at all the pictures from the protest march here.

Disgruntled fans organised the protest through Facebook, leaving Castle Gardens just after midday.

Supporters made their way up towards High Street, before then heading down New Cut Road and then taking Neath Road up to the Liberty Stadium.

Fans sung several songs aimed at Kaplan and Levien, including "Where's the money gone?", and "You greedy b*****ds, get out of our club" - both of which have been heard on a number of occasions this season.

One attendee, Paul Elliot, 71, accused the owners of "asset-stripping" the club, who are facing up to the very real possibility of spending another season in the Championship.

"I think the Americans are asset-stripping this club. They don't seem to be investing any money in this club and the way in which the club was sold and the way in which the Supporters Trust was treated - they were bypassed. The terms of the agreement changed without consultation.

"I think it's absolutely appalling, I don't trust the Americans.

"They should get out of this club and sell it on to somebody who's interested in the club."

Another fan, 32-year-old Michael Walton, said: "They're ripping off my club and I want it all sorted.

"There's something going wrong with them and it needs to be sorted."

Several other fans added that they would not be renewing their season tickets for next year.

Andrew Patterson has been a season ticket holder for 15 years, but says he won't be back next season.

"No investment, no trust within the club. They've been poor in the transfer market and they just don't care about the club."

Fellow supporter Tony Sharpe from Gendros, who's been a season ticket holder for seven years, added: "I didn't renew my season ticket this year because the Americans are clearly not interested in investing in the club, they're just interested in taking from the club.

"Jenkins has still got a lot to answer for. I think he should apologise to the fans for what he's done.

"He instigated the sale, which was supposed to take us to the next level.

"I'm sorry, but the next level isn't the Championship."
Attachments
0_WhatsApp-Image-2019-02-09-at-120533-1jpeg.jpg
0_WhatsApp-Image-2019-02-09-at-120533-1jpeg.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 6999 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Swansea City fans march against American owners

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Wow. Never seen a twelve man march before. Fair play!
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby BiglicksMcGoo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:42 pm

The Yank's must be terrified by the weight of numbers protesting right there, they'll surely give up on the millions still left to wring dry from Swansea Town now, that's for sure....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BiglicksMcGoo

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:Wow. Never seen a twelve man march before. Fair play!

:lol:
2blue2handle

Postby caerblue » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:45 pm

All not renewing season tickets,because no longer in the premier league lol
Attachments
Swansea Supporters Rally Against American Owners.jpg
Swansea Supporters Rally Against American Owners.jpg (68.23 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
caerblue

Postby BLUE54 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:01 pm

caerblue wrote:All not renewing season tickets,because no longer in the premier league lol

Yes, so says that Tony Sharpe fan who has had a season ticket for 7 whole years. Just remind me, how long were they in the premier league??? :laughing5:
BLUE54

Postby BLUE54 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:03 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Scandinavianbluebird wrote:Wow. Never seen a twelve man march before. Fair play!

:lol:

Yes but that's because they were allowed a sub on as well!!! :laughing5:
BLUE54

Postby northernbluebird » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:26 pm

american owners know that in order to make money in this business you have to control your costs.

when done 'correctly' (note that excellent financial performance does not always mean excellent football results - see arsenal, man utd) , it results in huge payoffs. problem is that they expect swansea to fund itself, without putting in a penny in themselves. they are a small club, with modest support, in an economically depressed region, so good luck with that.

with attendances down this year by about 3000, that's about £1-1.5m less ticket receipts too.

diddums.
northernbluebird

Postby Bananas » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Abertawe Town :laughing6: :laughing6: You have to laugh mun :laughing6:
Bananas

Postby northernbluebird » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:43 pm

an insight into their owners ambition for the club:

Q: "Where has the money gone?'."

A (chief executive): "I mean when you say where's the money gone, I'd say the question is what money are you talking about?"

hilarious. :clap:

no-one told them before they brought the club that in order to stand still, let alone progress in this business, you have to invest. they clearly looked at the example of the glazers and kroenke at arsenal, and bought the club as a cash cow. they're about to get a rude awakening if they haven't already.
northernbluebird

Postby Ibby » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:46 pm

The Swansea Fans are sick of it, and you can see the owners are the problems :thumbright:
Ibby

Postby bluebird1972 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:00 pm

They mocked us for years and I must admit it gives great pleasure to see them drowning in their own shit long may it continue
bluebird1972

Postby danielrees17 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:02 pm

That's not a March that's a sponsored walk :lol: :lol: :lol:
danielrees17

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:17 pm

danielrees17 wrote:That's not a March that's a sponsored walk :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not sponsored. It's just a walk..
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby Sven » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:19 pm

Best run club in Swansea, apparently! ;) :laughing6:

One Swansea supporter I know has gone very quiet lately but came out with a beaut today without realising the irony of it...

"That f***er Huw Jenkins has jumped ship! It's alright for him, he's made a bucket load of money and can retire to the sun now. Mind you, he's let us down so much I wouldn't be surprised if the show off buys a house in f**ing Cardiff!" :lol:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Andysince76 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:22 pm

I love the fact that they want investment via loans to put themselves into debt, after all the bullshit they gave us.
I hope they go bust yet again. On a positive note I rarely look at planet scum, but E20 is Roathy and doing what Roathy does, at least it keeps the tosser off here.
Whatever's comfortable.
Andysince76

Postby streamfeeder » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Fellow supporter Tony Sharpe from Gendros, who's been a season ticket holder for seven years, added: "I didn't renew my season ticket this year because....

buys a season ticket when they get to the premier stays for 7 years ,one relegation and he is giving up to go back to watching man u and liverpool on the telly, i work with a few jacks who have been going for many years and to be fair to them they cringe at twats like this :lol:
streamfeeder

Postby neathbluebird » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:34 pm

bluebird1972 wrote:They mocked us for years and I must admit it gives great pleasure to see them drowning in their own shit long may it continue

exactly
neathbluebird

Postby goats » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 pm

It’s going to get far far worse for them I feel. This is just the beginning of the end :bluescarf:
goats

Postby thedoctor13 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:09 pm

the Swansea scum mocked us for years glade to see them suffer :bluescarf: :bluebird: :ayatollah:
thedoctor13

Postby Bananas » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Joke club, joke fans. :wave: F off for good and never come and infect the top leagues again :thumbup:
Bananas

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:
danielrees17 wrote:That's not a March that's a sponsored walk :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not sponsored. It's just a walk..

Nah they're walking because can't afford bus fare! :mrgreen:
pembroke allan

Postby Birminghamnewby27 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:12 pm

So we are no better than them .We are both Schadenfreude,s ....Thought we were classier but my mistake
Birminghamnewby27

Postby ElyBoy1984 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:46 pm

Ha ha fuckin ha. Back where they belong
ElyBoy1984

Postby cendl blue » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:27 am

Can't stand them and would love to see them drop to the bottom by pure shit football and bad football management.
Some of their supporters mocked us for our March for blue which was seemingly much more attended than their protest but I don't take any pleasure in a club being stripped by conning rogues from another country.
cendl blue

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:38 am

Birminghamnewby27 wrote:So we are no better than them .We are both Schadenfreude,s ....Thought we were classier but my mistake

Just had a look at your previous posts and there's a theme going on there where you seem to be going against the grain deliberately and this post (above) is no different. I'm not convinced you're really a Cardiff City fan! :(

For others, in Germany someone described as 'Schadenfreude' is to take pleasure derived from another person's misfortune
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby cardiff 74 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:32 am

Remmber how they said we sold our souls well look at them know
cardiff 74

Postby Cardiff dyskinesia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:19 am

And some of those are people doing their shopping :bluescarf:
Cardiff dyskinesia

Postby Cardiff dyskinesia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:20 am

And some of those are people doing their shopping :bluescarf:
Cardiff dyskinesia

Postby Leytonstoneblue » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 am

Surely the American owners are just upholding Swansea City Councils own Motto, which I believe appears on all there Letter Heads and council paraphernalia

"No Ambition,
No Investment,
Sold Out
"
5 Live commentary, English Wigan V Welsh Wigan April 2013,
" it's gone a bit quiet with the Wigan fans and there aren't enough Swansea fans to make a noise"
Leytonstoneblue

Next

Return to General Chat