Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff heroics expose Fulham's biggest mistake

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:36 pm

Cardiff heroics expose Fulham's biggest mistake

HITC

Tuesday 12th February 2019

Fulham released Neil Etheridge in 2014 and now the goalkeeper is starring in the Premier League with Cardiff City.

While Fulham are seven points adrift and looking doomed, Neil Etheridge is inspiring Cardiff City’s survival dreams.

The 29-year-old goalkeeper has been a revelation between the sticks for the Bluebirds since they were promoted back to the top flight, establishing himself as one of the Premier League’s most underrated glovesmen with some impressive virtuoso performances.

The most recent of those came against Southampton at St Mary’s as Cardiff triumphed 2-1. Kenneth Zohore’s stoppage time winner made him the hero but the win would have been impossible if it wasn’t for another excellent performance from Etheridge.

And the form of the Phillipines international only rubs salt into Fulham’s wounds. The Enfield-born shot-stopper started his career with The Cottagers but he was released in 2014 after making just one first-team appearance for the West London outfit.

“The team had just got relegated to the Championship and it had been a really tough season for me being injured for the majority of it,” Etheridge told Planet Football in December.

Fulham's defenders Brede Hangeland (L) and Chris Baird (R) react in front of goalkeeper Neil Etheridge (C) after a last second equaliser by Odense's Djiby Fall during their UEFA Europa...

“But when I got released it was a shock to be honest. The new manager wanted to change things so I found myself not really knowing what to do. I was forced out of my comfort zone.”

Etheridge has had to be patient for his chance at the top level but he has certainly seized his opportunity with both hands – quite literally.

Fulham, meanwhile, are stuck in the relegation zone having conceded more goals than any other side in the Premier League (58) with Sergio Rico, Marcus Bettinelli and Fabri all struggling to plug the gaps during stints between the sticks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff heroics expose Fulham's biggest mistake

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:49 pm

Not there biggest mistake. That surely is making to many changes to the starting 11 from last season and changing the team around week after week. They did seem to be a better team last year even though it's being judged on a lower standard . Having said that it would be a mistake to right them totally off yet.

I will be controversial now and say whilst he makes great stopping saves, his all round display as a premier league goalkeeper needs a lot to be desired. We just lose momentum on both counter attack and ball retention most of the time he gets the ball. It's either too slow in passing to a defender or kicked out of play or straight to an opposing player. It could be debated that our defenders are not comfortable receiving a quick ball from the keeper but it's a rarity he ever tries. It's one of the main reasons why we have low possession stats.(not the only reason)'and slow build up play, if we do stay up he needs to improve that side of his game or alltough it might seem harsh we will have a keeper who can.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:55 pm

For me he's the biggest bargain we could ever wish for.

Granted not the best kicker

But he can do what he's there for and get us out of the shit :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:39 pm

Sloper Road wrote:Not there biggest mistake. That surely is making to many changes to the starting 11 from last season and changing the team around week after week. They did seem to be a better team last year even though it's being judged on a lower standard . Having said that it would be a mistake to right them totally off yet.

I will be controversial now and say whilst he makes great stopping saves, his all round display as a premier league goalkeeper needs a lot to be desired. We just lose momentum on both counter attack and ball retention most of the time he gets the ball. It's either too slow in passing to a defender or kicked out of play or straight to an opposing player. It could be debated that our defenders are not comfortable receiving a quick ball from the keeper but it's a rarity he ever tries. It's one of the main reasons why we have low possession stats.(not the only reason)'and slow build up play, if we do stay up he needs to improve that side of his game or alltough it might seem harsh we will have a keeper who can.

That’s our system... Warnock never plays in our own half. It’s get it up top quickly, gain possession. If we lose the ball, the two banks press quickly forcing the opposition into mistakes.

Imagine Bamba and Morrison playing out from the back. Can’t believe I even wrote it...

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 pm

Fulham remind me of us when we came up last time - full of hope, spend some money and then it all falls apart

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:57 pm

Sloper Road wrote:Not there biggest mistake. That surely is making to many changes to the starting 11 from last season and changing the team around week after week. They did seem to be a better team last year even though it's being judged on a lower standard . Having said that it would be a mistake to right them totally off yet.

I think you’re completely wrong on that.
He plays to the managers instructions 100% and that’s why he rarely plays the ball out short. It’s also why he usually keeps hold of the ball until our target man gets into position.
Of course his distribution, as everyone knows, is his weakest point but I don’t think he can be faulted this season.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:35 pm

and its not crossed your mind that when a keeper comes to a club and immediately goes long and continues to for 2 years it maybe under instructions.?

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 pm

If we do stay up, who do you think would stay in the team next year. My opinion is that if we are to compete we have have players who are comfortable on the ball at the back. Maybe and I hope so Etheridge will have players he can give the ball to without fear of them losing it.
How else are we going to improve.
Huddersfield didn't change there players and they have suffered big time.
We cant get lucky..if that's the right word once but you can't do it twice.
Swansea stayed up because they could play out from the back, sooner or later we will have to do the same. Not this season I admit but there are lots of occasions Etheridge could give the ball to a free defender with resorting to kicking it to touch.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:42 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

I think you’re completely wrong on that.
He plays to the managers instructions 100% and that’s why he rarely plays the ball out short. It’s also why he usually keeps hold of the ball until our target man gets into position.
Of course his distribution, as everyone knows, is his weakest point but I don’t think he can be faulted this season.

it really is obvious isnt it.?

the defence do not spread, no one is screaming for a short pass, or infact screaming at him because he hasnt gone short. its pass it back to Etheridge and pretty much off to the halfway line for everyone else.
what do people think happens in training and tactics meetings i do not know.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Neil Etheridge often gets knocked for his 'distribution' but he is a goalkeeper not a midfield play maker.

His primary task is to keep the ball out of the net and I think he does a great job as a shot stopper. If he can find a City player from his goal kicks etc. then that is a bonus not a requirement.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Panics when kicking from pass backs fantastic shot stopper.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:05 am

In my mind city's best keeper. He has a presence about him and all round ability is fantastic. Marshall was a good shot stopper but as know didn't come off his line. Id take etheridge every day

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 am

We made the same mistake with Heaton :bluescarf:

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:01 pm

dogfound wrote:

and its not crossed your mind that when a keeper comes to a club and immediately goes long and continues to for 2 years it maybe under instructions.?

Instructions to blast into touch?
I'm not saying he can't pass the ball out I'm saying once we have better ball playing defenders then he will be expected to pass the ball out,time will tell if he can on that one.
Also yes his primary role is to keep the ball out of the net but the better managers with better players do expect the goalkeeper to have ball passing skills. It's how they keep possession and start attacks. Obviously it's not Warnock's way but if we are to improve and stay in division for years to come that's how it's going to be after this season.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Sloper Road wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I'm not saying he can't pass the ball out I'm saying once we have better ball playing defenders then he will be expected to pass the ball out,time will tell if he can on that one.
Also yes his primary role is to keep the ball out of the net but the better managers with better players do expect the goalkeeper to have ball passing skills. It's how they keep possession and start attacks. Obviously it's not Warnock's way but if we are to improve and stay in division for years to come that's how it's going to be after this season.

Will just have to see what happens next season will NW be manager because surely he's on borrowed time due to his age, family and of course recent events. Besides we are not just a long ball team as goals have shown ? :old:

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Sloper Road wrote:
dogfound wrote:

yes under instructions to kick it in touch :o :o

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Playing out from the back without real quality is called the ‘Fulham Way’.. and that’s why they concede so many goals.