Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Dalman talks about Sala money & Warnock’s agent links “

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:04 pm

BBC

Tuesday 12th February 2019

Chairman Mehmet Dalman says Cardiff will be "honourable" with Nantes over the £15m transfer for Emiliano Sala and has defended withholding a payment.

Dalman confirmed the French club are threatening legal action, but they are seeking "clarification" on the issue.

Sala's body was recovered from the wreckage of a crashed plane last week.

Dalman also issued strong backing to Neil Warnock over his connection with football agents, believing people have had "knives out" for Cardiff's manager.

Confirming the Nantes action, Dalman said: "Of course, if we are contractually obliged to pay them then of course we will. We are an honourable club.

"But if we are not - and there are some anomalies in that - then surely you would expect me as the chairman and guardian of this club's interests to look into that and hold our position. That is what we are doing.

"We are still in the process of gathering information and that process will be ongoing. And when we reach a level where we have enough information, I am sure we will sit down with Nantes and move forward."

Dalman says Cardiff are looking to get a full picture of events.

"They [Nantes] have asked for what they believe is the money due to them and there is a process and they have initiated that process," he added.

"What we are saying is, that we are not in agreement with that process given the extraordinary events that have taken place and the tragic circumstances. We are not making any positive or negative statements.

"We are simply saying, please understand there are a lot of questions which need to be answered and that is what we are trying to do."

Warnock has complained about a "vendetta" against him, amid criticism of his connection with agent Willie McKay, but Dalman says he has no case to answer.

Football agent McKay says he arranged the flight that Sala took from Nantes, but was not involved in selecting the plane or pilot.

Asked about Warnock's relationships with agents he said: "I have absolutely no worries about that. We take our relationships from the day he started working at Cardiff. I don't really want to get involved in any vendettas and mud throwing, it's nonsense.

"We have seen people taking knives out against Neil and that is just nonsense. I want to air my frustration with that behaviour and give my full support to what the team is doing.

"The best way to get even is by being successful. I am not going to pay attention to rumours and bad press. We just have to stay focussed and do what we should be doing. That is to win football matches."

Dalman denied close relations to McKay, although two of McKay's sons had been in the Cardiff Academy.

He says it is unfair that there has been unfair scrutiny of Warnock and the club are supportive of him.

"I feel the need to raise this," Dalman said. "I brought Neil into this club and I think he has done a tremendous job for us in more ways than one. It is important that he understands we are there for him.

"He was there for us in a difficult period and got us promoted. He has brought some great players into the club and I want him to know we are a family. The fans, the board, the chairman, the CEO and the owner are fully behind him as he strives to achieve the status of staying in the Premier League."

Dalman also dismissed talk of Warnock stepping down from his post, amid the emotion of the death of Sala, after Warnock said he considered his future "24 hours a day, seven days a week."

"That discussion has never taken place and I have absolutely no intention of holding that discussion," he said.

Re: “ Dalman talks about Sala money & Warnock’s agent links

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:13 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:BBC

Tuesday 12th February 2019

Chairman Mehmet Dalman says Cardiff will be "honourable" with Nantes over the £15m transfer for Emiliano Sala and has defended withholding a payment.

Dalman confirmed the French club are threatening legal action, but they are seeking "clarification" on the issue.

Sala's body was recovered from the wreckage of a crashed plane last week.

Dalman also issued strong backing to Neil Warnock over his connection with football agents, believing people have had "knives out" for Cardiff's manager.

Confirming the Nantes action, Dalman said: "Of course, if we are contractually obliged to pay them then of course we will. We are an honourable club.

"But if we are not - and there are some anomalies in that - then surely you would expect me as the chairman and guardian of this club's interests to look into that and hold our position. That is what we are doing.

"We are still in the process of gathering information and that process will be ongoing. And when we reach a level where we have enough information, I am sure we will sit down with Nantes and move forward."

Dalman says Cardiff are looking to get a full picture of events.

"They [Nantes] have asked for what they believe is the money due to them and there is a process and they have initiated that process," he added.

"What we are saying is, that we are not in agreement with that process given the extraordinary events that have taken place and the tragic circumstances. We are not making any positive or negative statements.

"We are simply saying, please understand there are a lot of questions which need to be answered and that is what we are trying to do."

Warnock has complained about a "vendetta" against him, amid criticism of his connection with agent Willie McKay, but Dalman says he has no case to answer.

Football agent McKay says he arranged the flight that Sala took from Nantes, but was not involved in selecting the plane or pilot.

Asked about Warnock's relationships with agents he said: "I have absolutely no worries about that. We take our relationships from the day he started working at Cardiff. I don't really want to get involved in any vendettas and mud throwing, it's nonsense.

"We have seen people taking knives out against Neil and that is just nonsense. I want to air my frustration with that behaviour and give my full support to what the team is doing.

"The best way to get even is by being successful. I am not going to pay attention to rumours and bad press. We just have to stay focussed and do what we should be doing. That is to win football matches."

Dalman denied close relations to McKay, although two of McKay's sons had been in the Cardiff Academy.

He says it is unfair that there has been unfair scrutiny of Warnock and the club are supportive of him.

"I feel the need to raise this," Dalman said. "I brought Neil into this club and I think he has done a tremendous job for us in more ways than one. It is important that he understands we are there for him.

"He was there for us in a difficult period and got us promoted. He has brought some great players into the club and I want him to know we are a family. The fans, the board, the chairman, the CEO and the owner are fully behind him as he strives to achieve the status of staying in the Premier League."

Dalman also dismissed talk of Warnock stepping down from his post, amid the emotion of the death of Sala, after Warnock said he considered his future "24 hours a day, seven days a week."

"That discussion has never taken place and I have absolutely no intention of holding that discussion," he said.

Sounds like there is a contract issue

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:40 pm

I can see big problems occurring and this not getting sorted, I just hope we do not end up looking the bad guys, as so far we have been impeccable in honouring Emiliano Sala :bluebird:

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I can see big problems occurring and this not getting sorted, I just hope we do not end up looking the bad guys, as so far we have been impeccable in honouring Emiliano Sala :bluebird:

I know i wouldn't want to pay 15 million for nothing without answers remember its our money not paying a 20 pound bar bill ,If it says we have to pay in the contract then we should but i think there might be a death clause or a start date in the contract if that's the case then we shoulsnt pay. I bet this has never happened before so could be a test case

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 pm

Have spoken to lots of business owners and included myself in that, all had the obvious same answer. Absolutely 100% you evaluate what has happened gather the facts and all the details, speak with the Insurers and legal teams and once you are satisfied then you proceed. Any chairman or finance director of a company who didn’t do that wouldn’t be doing a very good job. It’s sensitive, it’s tragic and it is complicated but you tie job you are in charge to do and at the same time treat it with dignity and respect.

Shouldn’t have gone public, Nantes should have waited and when the time was right arranged a meeting with city to discuss and have reassurances. City will do the right thing when they have all that information. No doubt about it but for now patience is required. If they paid out without investigating I would be asking serious questions. Well done Cardiff and Dalman.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Stringfellow wrote:Have spoken to lots of business owners and included myself in that, all had the obvious same answer. Absolutely 100% you evaluate what has happened gather the facts and all the details, speak with the Insurers and legal teams and once you are satisfied then you proceed. Any chairman or finance director of a company who didn’t do that wouldn’t be doing a very good job. It’s sensitive, it’s tragic and it is complicated but you tie job you are in charge to do and at the same time treat it with dignity and respect.

Shouldn’t have gone public, Nantes should have waited and when the time was right arranged a meeting with city to discuss and have reassurances. City will do the right thing when they have all that information. No doubt about it but for now patience is required. If they paid out without investigating I would be asking serious questions. Well done Cardiff and Dalman.

Good post

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:Have spoken to lots of business owners and included myself in that, all had the obvious same answer. Absolutely 100% you evaluate what has happened gather the facts and all the details, speak with the Insurers and legal teams and once you are satisfied then you proceed. Any chairman or finance director of a company who didn’t do that wouldn’t be doing a very good job. It’s sensitive, it’s tragic and it is complicated but you tie job you are in charge to do and at the same time treat it with dignity and respect.

Good post

But obvious isn’t it wez? In all fairness I don’t see many questioning it other than the Cardiff haters, media stirring it and Nantes. We really are hated aren’t we. They look for everything.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Spot on and makes a nonsense, IMO, of the previous thread where most posters said - we bought him so we should pay.
It’s much more complicated than that with these extraordinary and unique circumstances.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:45 pm

I think Mehmet and the club are exactly right here.

There is an insurance claim likely to be made and I suspect China Reinsurance (or China Re) Syndicate 2088 have already instructed the club not to make any payment unless they say so.

https://www.insuranceinsider.com/articles/124285/lloyds-insures-missing-cardiff-city-footballer-for-16mn

In the same way as Car Insurers tell us not to admit or to make any payments, when we are in the wrong, the same goes here - albeit on a much bigger scale.

I dont think for one moment Cardiff are witholding payment. I think they are working closely with insurers, fact finding, and have been instructed by insurers not to make any payment until such time as all the facts are known.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:I think Mehmet and the club are exactly right here.

There is an insurance claim likely to be made and I suspect China Reinsurance (or China Re) Syndicate 2088 have already instructed the club not to make any payment unless they say so.

https://www.insuranceinsider.com/articles/124285/lloyds-insures-missing-cardiff-city-footballer-for-16mn

In the same way as Car Insurers tell us not to admit or to make any payments, when we are in the wrong, the same goes here - albeit on a much bigger scale.

I dont think for one moment Cardiff are witholding payment. I think they are working closely with insurers, fact finding, and have been instructed by insurers not to make any payment until such time as all the facts are known.

Spot on :thumbup: If Nantes take City to Court I really can't see them getting anywhere as it would be reasonable to wait until all the facts are known from a through investigation. Once everything is known and if City are deemed fully liable then we will pay the £15m then.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:24 pm

Dalman talks a good game, I’ll give him that.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:47 am

Well said. You’re right that Nantes should not have gone public. I really hope they’ve learnt that now as this case is going to take considerable time to resolve. Ultimately, warning letters/payment reminders are necessary when approaching a payment deadline but there was no need to involve the press. I hope they can be patient now whilst the facts are established

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:21 am

We are so lucky to have these Gentlemen running this football club.

As a business you do what your insurer tells you not just hand over 5million !! Not sure about French business law but really, to go public was extremely disrespectful to the families of those involved in this tragedy.