Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City penalty referee Lee Mason involved in more spot

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 am

Huddersfield Town Cardiff City penalty referee Lee Mason involved in more spot-kick controversy at West Brom vs Nottingham Forest -

Examiner Live

Wednesday 13th February 2019

Lee Mason, the referee who awarded Huddersfield Town a penalty at Cardiff and then changed his mind, is embroiled in more spot-kick controversy.

The 47-year-old official from Portsmouth took charge of the important Championship clash between West Brom and Nottingham Forest at The Hawthorns.

In addition to the penalty incident late in the game, Mason came under the spotlight for not punishing what appeared a stamping challenge by Forest's Lewis Grabban on Mason Holgate

Boss Martin O'Neill refused to criticise Mason after Dwight Gayle denied Nottingham Forest victory at The Hawthorns.

The striker went down easily under pressure from Alexander Milosevic and Yohan Benalouane to earn a penalty two minutes from time and allow Jay Rodriguez to rescue a 2-2 draw.

Gayle could face a retrospective ban for simulation if the Football Association investigate the incident.

Last season Omar Niasse was banned for two games after diving to win a penalty for Everton against Crystal Palace.

O'Neill said: "I spoke to the referee, he said it if it was a mistake it was an honest one and I accept that.

"It certainly looked like a dive, I've seen it back twice from a rather long lens angle and not on TV but everyone I have spoken to says it was a dive.

"In this day and age, it's very difficult for a referee, harder than it's ever been.

"It would have been great to have won the game, away from home against a side looking for automatic promotion."

Mason, of course, awarded Town a penalty in the 0-0 draw at Cardiff City on January 12 in what proved to be David Wagner's last match with the club.

After protests from Cardiff players, Mason changed his mind after a short consultation with his assistant Stuart Burt, much to Town's frustration.

Of last night's incident, West Brom boss Darren Moore said: "In real time it looked a penalty, once I look back at it I'll be able to give my opinion on it. It's earned us a point. The way the boys kept going was the most pleasing thing for me.

"The referee was in the perfect position and he's given the penalty, we have to trust what the referee has seen at the time. In the heat of the moment he's got a closer view than I had.

"I'm delighted with the point because the performance was lethargic. It wasn't just one or two, it was the whole team. Maybe it's just the volume of games. We just weren't quite on it."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff City penalty referee Lee Mason involved in more

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Gayle waited for contact that never came, so when his foot touched with defenders foot he went 6ft in air with somersault! Looked spectacular and anyone would thought he'd been kicked in air? Should get ban but doubt it as was the slightest touch on him. :o

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:51 pm

God help us if we get that baldy knobend reffing us again before the end of the season - we'll have no chance.

Or Kevin Friend for that matter - he's another tosser.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Gayle now charged for deceiving official... :thumbup: