What’s your favourite special moment in football

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby snoopystorm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Was think earlier that there are always special moments within the world of football, I don’t mean teams winning cups/leagues etc I mean down right personal that makes you feel proud in that moment, for example Christiano Ronaldo giving his CL medal to the disabled fan as he came down from receiving it kind of special moments.....

As I said I was thinking and mine has got to be from my local U16’s league around 3 years ago, we moved to the area we live now and my boy was asked by lads in school to join the local U16’s team so he could gain friends and fit in, I was asked to join the coaching team. The season progressed well, we’re on the run in sat 8th in the league and in a good run of form, win the next match and we’re up to 5th and can push on for 3rd as long as we got the results.... we were playing the team in 2nd place, they were pushing for top spot. So into the game, 4-2 with 5 mins to go, we came back from 4-0 down, they could see we were tiring but pushing and they were comfortable and knew time was in their side, they had this young disabled lad in their books, we had just scored so they made their substitution, this young lad came on up front, he came over to kick off..... what happened next was really special.. our striker went to tackle him and tripped... so he carries on, our midfielders run straight into each other, he carries on, one of our defenders approach him, starts to back towards goal watching whatbtje striker is doing, with this our defender falls backwards, our other CB just falls about laughing, their striker is through 1 on 1 with our keeper (bearing in mind all this takes 30-40 seconds and this young kid is disabled, think it was cerebral palsy) so our keeper... one of the best in the league on his day... dives completely the wrong way and the young striker scores. Everybody on that pitch (both teams) run across and congratulate him on his goal, we lose the match 5-2.

We go shake hands with the players, ref and opposite coaching staff and they ask if they can chat to our lads in the changing rooms, works out they had this lad on their books all season, never missed training, 1st lad to turn up on match day but the club never had the right opportunity to get him out on the pitch during a game.

Never been prouder of a group of 15 year olds than I was that day, that special moment was better than qualifying for the league cup final the weekend after.
Once a Bluebird, Always a bluebird
snoopystorm

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: What’s your favourite special moment in football

Postby Wolfpac » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:47 pm

snoopystorm wrote:Was think earlier that there are always special moments within the world of football, I don’t mean teams winning cups/leagues etc I mean down right personal that makes you feel proud in that moment, for example Christiano Ronaldo giving his CL medal to the disabled fan as he came down from receiving it kind of special moments.....

As I said I was thinking and mine has got to be from my local U16’s league around 3 years ago, we moved to the area we live now and my boy was asked by lads in school to join the local U16’s team so he could gain friends and fit in, I was asked to join the coaching team. The season progressed well, we’re on the run in sat 8th in the league and in a good run of form, win the next match and we’re up to 5th and can push on for 3rd as long as we got the results.... we were playing the team in 2nd place, they were pushing for top spot. So into the game, 4-2 with 5 mins to go, we came back from 4-0 down, they could see we were tiring but pushing and they were comfortable and knew time was in their side, they had this young disabled lad in their books, we had just scored so they made their substitution, this young lad came on up front, he came over to kick off..... what happened next was really special.. our striker went to tackle him and tripped... so he carries on, our midfielders run straight into each other, he carries on, one of our defenders approach him, starts to back towards goal watching whatbtje striker is doing, with this our defender falls backwards, our other CB just falls about laughing, their striker is through 1 on 1 with our keeper (bearing in mind all this takes 30-40 seconds and this young kid is disabled, think it was cerebral palsy) so our keeper... one of the best in the league on his day... dives completely the wrong way and the young striker scores. Everybody on that pitch (both teams) run across and congratulate him on his goal, we lose the match 5-2.

We go shake hands with the players, ref and opposite coaching staff and they ask if they can chat to our lads in the changing rooms, works out they had this lad on their books all season, never missed training, 1st lad to turn up on match day but the club never had the right opportunity to get him out on the pitch during a game.

Never been prouder of a group of 15 year olds than I was that day, that special moment was better than qualifying for the league cup final the weekend after.

Fantastic story, bet this lad was made up :bluescarf:
Wolfpac

Postby Wolfpac » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:55 pm

My favourite footballing moment was watching Real Madrid in the Champions League final in 2000, it was a 16th birthday surprise present for me from my Mam and Dad, my Grandfather Pablo was from Madrid so I’ve always followed them and my favourite player of all time is Raul, to see him score the 3rd goal to beat Valencia was an unbelievable feeling of joy and excitement, was a cracking weekend for my Dad and I :bluescarf:
Wolfpac

Postby snoopystorm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 pm

Wolfpac wrote:My favourite footballing moment was watching Real Madrid in the Champions League final in 2000, it was a 16th birthday surprise present for me from my Mam and Dad, my Grandfather Pablo was from Madrid so I’ve always followed them and my favourite player of all time is Raul, to see him score the 3rd goal to beat Valencia was an unbelievable feeling of joy and excitement, was a cracking weekend for my Dad and I :bluescarf:

One of the better teams they’ve had in their history, can imagine the euphoric feeling this would have brought even as a teenager :bluescarf:
snoopystorm

Postby since64 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:38 am

It’s 87/88 season and my wife has finally given in and allowed my seven year old son to “go down the city” with his dad ,why she thought that we could be caught up in trouble with crowds of less than 2500 l don’t know but there you are. Anyway the only topics in our house from then on was CCFC,so one day I’ve got a day off work I’m looking after him cause he’s home from school so at a loose end l decide we’ll take a ride down to Ninian Park to try and find out were the City are training( used to do the same when l was a kid in the late sixties) anyway we they are doing a light sessions on NP so we wander in and watch from the enclosure. We were there about five minutes when Jimmy Goodfellow notices us and being the lovely man that he was shouts to me “ does he want to be ball boy” like shit off a shovel he was gone loving it being amongst his hero’s. They finish the session and let him take penalties against George Wood and as they finish and we are about to go home Mr Goodfellow invites us to go with him and show us around the treatment and Changing rooms,well actually he nominated Nigel Stevenson to show him round,and he was amazing got my boy autographs and you could tell he was a top bloke by the way he looked after my boy.Third generation City fan in my family was made that day.
since64

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:05 pm

For me the standout moment for me in football was the Leeds game, everything about it, the build up, the atmosphere, teh result, how it happened - I don't think anything will come close to beating that day and atmosphere.

Outside of City, going to Old Trafford and watching Eric Cantona play was pretty special, the guy was a genius.
2blue2handle

Postby rumpo kid » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:20 pm

3-3 Swansea 1980...

John Buchanan tralala lala

Man City 94 was good. That game had everything.
rumpo kid

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Followed City since 1972 :bluebird: :bluebird:

The best moment for me was drawing with the Mighty Liverpool at Wembley in the League Cup Final 2-2, for me we never lost that day and I hated Liverpool, Leeds etc as a kid in the 70's as most kids in Cardiff schools supported them type of clubs and laughed at Cardiff City and I always said to everyone, one day we will be up there and playing the biggest and best clubs in the UK and we finally did :thumbright: :bluebird:

So for me playing Liverpool at Wembley and finishing the game at 2-2 and my oldest daughter Annaise saying to me as we walked out of Wembley Daddy, we never really lost against Liverpool, we held them at Wembley in a Cup Final, meant so much to me :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby City1983 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:57 pm

Has to be The Promotion from League 1 Play Off Final at the Millennium Stadium in 2003.

Huge day in Cardiff and the day was just perfect.

It took Cardiff years and years in the basement divisions skirting with relegation and the odd promotion. Enjoyed going away to lower league grounds.

That game against QPR was finally when Cardiff became a huge club. Ever since, it has always been at the top echelons of the football league.

Brilliant day and weekend. I partied all week and then went to Magaluf for two weeks. Best time of my life.
City1983

Postby Whistler » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:36 pm

I dont know about the greatest moment in football, but perhaps the greatest "TURN" ROBSON KANU Belgium WOW WOW WOW. As a proud Welshman I just wandered around in a trance that night not believing what I had just seen, I think it must go down in Welsh Football History :occasion5: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :clap:
Whistler

Postby RadnorRoad » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Too many!! Some candidates:

1. First time ever at NP in 1965 and just amazed at the size of the terraces and the green grass (must have been early in season!)
2. Hearing my son who was born and bred in Newcastle describing City as "us"
3. Seeing us beat Real Madrid
4. Seeing us lose to Hamburg and still being massively proud
5. Hearing the net make that rippling sound when Ronnie Bird scored with a rifle shot into the Grange End goal
6. Beating Hereford in front of 35,000 and knowing we were back in the then big time
7. First promotion to Premier League - I was literally speechless when it happened even though it was so clearly going to happen for some time ahead
8. My Dad somehow getting me a shirt that was from a bin at the ground that had been worn in early sixties as an away shirt (white with blue trim) - but, an ex girlfriend put it a washing machine and destroyed it
RadnorRoad

Postby snoopystorm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:25 pm

rumpo kid wrote:3-3 Swansea 1980...

John Buchanan tralala lala

Man City 94 was good. That game had everything.

I remember that match in ‘94, was around a year after I started going down Ninian Park :ayatollah:
snoopystorm

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Whistler wrote:I dont know about the greatest moment in football, but perhaps the greatest "TURN" ROBSON KANU Belgium WOW WOW WOW. As a proud Welshman I just wandered around in a trance that night not believing what I had just seen, I think it must go down in Welsh Football History :occasion5: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :clap:

THIS

Followed by that FA cup win against Boro. :ayatollah:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Playing school football in Grangetown back in the day, beating Kitchener Rd 11-0 and scoring 9 myself :lol:
John Toshack awarding me with a certificate!
:lol:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Melsuttonholyboots » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:47 pm

John Buchanans winner against Wrexham, last kick of the fa cup tie. They had just brought the game back to 2.2 in injury time, we kicked off and got that winner as the Gogs were still celebrating wildly. Oh, and in THAT ICONIC KIT.
Melsuttonholyboots

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:23 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Whistler wrote:I dont know about the greatest moment in football, but perhaps the greatest "TURN" ROBSON KANU Belgium WOW WOW WOW. As a proud Welshman I just wandered around in a trance that night not believing what I had just seen, I think it must go down in Welsh Football History :occasion5: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :clap:

THIS

Followed by that FA cup win against Boro. :ayatollah:

That Robson Kanu turn was something else and one of the best footballing moments I can think of tbh. Would also go with the Play Off semi final against Leicester City which was one of the most emotional and insane games I have seen. Going from leading the game in the first leg to losing the game and then clawing it back to winning on penalties was brilliant. And was an amazing game as of football in general. Just a shame about what happened in the final.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby Whistler » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:09 pm

I have just had re-think just two words FRANCE 2016 JUST FOOTBALL MAGIC being one of those bricks :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5:
Whistler

Postby bluebird1972 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:51 pm

Beating Belguim 2016, great trip from start to finish the feeling after the game will never be repeated for myself
bluebird1972

Postby MOZZER1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:46 pm

to many to mention but here's a few

FA cup final 2008
The Play off final in 2003
promotion year 1987/88 beating wolves 4-1 away
promotion year 1982/83 beating chesterfield away last away game of season
promotion to prem on both occasions

Wales beating England 4-1 at wrexham 1980
The whole euro campaign in France
My lad's debut for the Wales national Futsal team now closing in on 40 caps