The 10 questions Cardiff want answered before paying Nantes

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:38 am

The 10 key questions Cardiff want answered before paying Emiliano Sala transfer fee

Daily Mirror

Monday 18th February 2019

Cardiff have reportedly called on police and football’s governing bodies to investigate the £15million transfer of Emiliano Sala - and want French club Nantes to come clean over the deal.

It emerged this weekend that the Premier League club are ready to sue agent Willie McKay after he admitted inflating Sala's transfer fee.

Cardiff want police to investigate the deal, while also calling on FIFA and the FA to launch their own probes into the circumstances surrounding the transfer.

It’s also reported that Cardiff have written to Nantes with 10 questions they want answered before they consider paying the French club the transfer fee.

The club are yet to make the initial payment to Nantes as they look to gather all of the facts behind the deal, and among the questions they want answered are:

Was Sala a Nantes player when he stepped on to the fatal flight?

Who arranged the flight and why did that person put him on a single-engine plane at night in difficult conditions, without adequate emergency apparatus?

Who took the decision to put Sala on the plane?

Why won’t the owner of the aircraft come forward?

Was the plane licenced to take commercial passengers?

Was pilot David Ibbotson in possession of a licence to carry passengers?

Was Sala third-party owned?

Are Sala’s previous club Bordeaux due 50 per cent of the transfer fee as part of a sell-on clause negotiated when he moved to Nantes in 2015?

What was transfer broker Willie McKay’s cut?

Was McKay’s commission, or part of the transfer fee, due to be split between other parties involved in the deal and, if so, to who?

The 28-year-old had returned to France to say farewell to his former Nantes teammates.

Sala’s funeral took place in his native Argentina over the weekend, with Cardiff manager Neil Warnock among those who attended.
Attachments
1_JS112865108-1.jpg
1_JS112865108-1.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
0_salapic2.jpg
0_salapic2.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: The 10 questions Cardiff want answered before paying Nan

Postby wez1927 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:02 am

Sounds like cardiff have found something dodgy they Probably know the answers but are demanding it in writing
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby wez1927 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:14 am

Could it be that large percentage isnt going to the club but to 1/3rd parties that they think are negligent? Reportedly 10% to the owner himself personally ,20 percent to McKay and another 10 percent to sala s agent plus 50 percent to his former club ?
wez1927

Postby ccfcsince1962 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:18 am

Annis

I have no inside knowledge of whether the Mirror`s claimed list of questions are accurate. However , a number of them seem to be relevant to various future investigations and whether the contract deal with FC Nantes was bona fide. For example

1. Why were Nantes using an intermediary who was not authorised to act as one (Willie McKay) by any football authority? Easy to check as there are published lists of them.

2. Were Nantes aware of the fact that Willie McKay is under a Bankruptcy Restriction Undertaking lasting until at least August 2023 because of his previous bankruptcy conduct? If , so refer back to question1. above. If not , why not? This is important as his creditors in his bankruptcy might be interested to learn what income he was due to earn from the deal.

3. Was Emiliano Sala`s own agent (who is not either of the McKays) aware that someone else was "interfering" in his deal by making flight arrangements etc? If so , why was he allowing an unauthorised intermediary to get involved.

4. Did Willie McKay tell Nantes that he could inflate the transfer fee Cardiff would pay by falsely claiming other Premier League club`s were due to submit offers (hence CCFC`s letter to those clubs seeking the true position)? He is already quoted as telling ES that was his strategy.

The whole thing is a mess which CCFC as a club have effectively been forced to deal with in a formal legal manner when I am sure they would rather not as they have conducted themselves admirably and with great dignity throughout the tragedy.

The story will not go away anytime soon , but I am convinced that when all necessary investigations and legal actions are finalised , the club will be able to clearly demonstrate that it is other parties , not them , that have been the wrongdoers in all this.

In the meantime , all we can do as fans is to continue to support the team on the pitch in its battle against relegation in the same fantastic way that has happened so far this season so that whoever is in charge of the team next season does so as a Premier League team with a bright future.
ccfcsince1962

Postby wez1927 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 am

ccfcsince1962 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:The 10 key questions Cardiff want answered before paying Emiliano Sala transfer fee

Daily Mirror

Cardiff have reportedly called on police and football’s governing bodies to investigate the £15million transfer of Emiliano Sala - and want French club Nantes to come clean over the deal.

It emerged this weekend that the Premier League club are ready to sue agent Willie McKay after he admitted inflating Sala's transfer fee.

Cardiff want police to investigate the deal, while also calling on FIFA and the FA to launch their own probes into the circumstances surrounding the transfer.

It’s also reported that Cardiff have written to Nantes with 10 questions they want answered before they consider paying the French club the transfer fee.

The club are yet to make the initial payment to Nantes as they look to gather all of the facts behind the deal, and among the questions they want answered are:

Who arranged the flight and why did that person put him on a single-engine plane at night in difficult conditions, without adequate emergency apparatus?

Are Sala’s previous club Bordeaux due 50 per cent of the transfer fee as part of a sell-on clause negotiated when he moved to Nantes in 2015?

Was McKay’s commission, or part of the transfer fee, due to be split between other parties involved in the deal and, if so, to who?

The 28-year-old had returned to France to say farewell to his former Nantes teammates.

Sala’s funeral took place in his native Argentina over the weekend, with Cardiff manager Neil Warnock among those who attended.

Annis

I have no inside knowledge of whether the Mirror`s claimed list of questions are accurate. However , a number of them seem to be relevant to various future investigations and whether the contract deal with FC Nantes was bona fide. For example

1. Why were Nantes using an intermediary who was not authorised to act as one (Willie McKay) by any football authority? Easy to check as there are published lists of them.

2. Were Nantes aware of the fact that Willie McKay is under a Bankruptcy Restriction Undertaking lasting until at least August 2023 because of his previous bankruptcy conduct? If , so refer back to question1. above. If not , why not? This is important as his creditors in his bankruptcy might be interested to learn what income he was due to earn from the deal.

3. Was Emiliano Sala`s own agent (who is not either of the McKays) aware that someone else was "interfering" in his deal by making flight arrangements etc? If so , why was he allowing an unauthorised intermediary to get involved.

4. Did Willie McKay tell Nantes that he could inflate the transfer fee Cardiff would pay by falsely claiming other Premier League club`s were due to submit offers (hence CCFC`s letter to those clubs seeking the true position)? He is already quoted as telling ES that was his strategy.

The whole thing is a mess which CCFC as a club have effectively been forced to deal with in a formal legal manner when I am sure they would rather not as they have conducted themselves admirably and with great dignity throughout the tragedy.

The story will not go away anytime soon , but I am convinced that when all necessary investigations and legal actions are finalised , the club will be able to clearly demonstrate that it is other parties , not them , that have been the wrongdoers in all this.

In the meantime , all we can do as fans is to continue to support the team on the pitch in its battle against relegation in the same fantastic way that has happened so far this season so that whoever is in charge of the team next season does so as a Premier League team with a bright future.

The whole deal stinks and wouldn't of come to light if the tragic death of sala didn't happen ,too many dodgy fingers in this deal
wez1927

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:05 pm

ccfcsince1962 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:The 10 key questions Cardiff want answered before paying Emiliano Sala transfer fee

Daily Mirror

Annis

Most transfer dealings involving European clubs especially if the player is South American or African appear to be at best “very complicated to complete”

I think that is why Warnock, Dalman and Choo all seemed exasperated at times trying to get deals done in January

This saga is unfortunately looking like it may drag on for months..and who can blame the club with so much money at stake

Best to leave it to the lawyers and proper authorities to sort it
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Months would be optimistic .
I doubt that the Mirror's version of the questions are accurate because I could personally think of much better and more substantive ones to wriggle out of it, and it's not my speciality. What's more , I'm sure that even accounting for dumbing down , any lawyer would ask " to whom " rather than "to who ".
SirJimmySchoular

Postby castleblue » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 pm

Daily Mirror

It's the answer to question number 1 that interests me the most because it continues this "Theme" of Cardiff City not being sure that the FA/ PL had concluded the registration process. It's the "Subject To International Clearance" aspect of this transfer again and if the International Transfer Certificate had not been received by the FA, FAW and FIFA then Emiliano Sala was a Nantes player at the time he stepped on that plane and not a Cardiff City player as the transfer had not been concluded.

The rest of it relating to who was getting a cut makes my flesh creep and I think most football fans will be saddened that it has taken the tragic loss of Emiliano Sala to highlight the "Seedy" side of the transfer process.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby dogfound » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:52 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:Months would be optimistic .
I doubt that the Mirror's version of the questions are accurate because I could personally think of much better and more substantive ones to wriggle out of it, and it's not my speciality. What's more , I'm sure that even accounting for dumbing down , any lawyer would ask " to whom " rather than "to who ".

I agree.
2 questions regarding commercial flight , but before you get to those questions you have to establish { not think } it was commercial.
the texts between Mckays son and Sala present it as a favour to Sala..be extremely surprised if Mckay attempted to bill our club even if that was his intention .so not sure where any evidence of it being a commercial flight will come from.

bit surprised the owner of the plane has yet to be tracked down too.the fact its not in the public domain { the morror do not know } does not mean the AAIB do not know.
dogfound

Postby RageJon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:00 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Daily Mirror

Sounds like cardiff have found something dodgy they Probably know the answers but are demanding it in writing

Sure sounds like it wez
Always Know If The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze !

Utrinque Paratus
RageJon

Postby Bluebina » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:05 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
ccfcsince1962 wrote:

Daily Mirror

Annis

Most transfer dealings involving European clubs especially if the player is South American or African appear to be at best “very complicated to complete”

I think that is why Warnock, Dalman and Choo all seemed exasperated at times trying to get deals done in January

This saga is unfortunately looking like it may drag on for months..and who can blame the club with so much money at stake

Best to leave it to the lawyers and proper authorities to sort it

It will go on longer than Brexit two years plus !!!!

We will be pisssed off in the end like the loan notes saga !!!!
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:17 pm

dogfound wrote:

I agree.
2 questions regarding commercial flight , but before you get to those questions you have to establish { not think } it was commercial.
the texts between Mckays son and Sala present it as a favour to Sala..be extremely surprised if Mckay attempted to bill our club even if that was his intention .so not sure where any evidence of it being a commercial flight will come from.

bit surprised the owner of the plane has yet to be tracked down too.the fact its not in the public domain { the morror do not know } does not mean the AAIB do not know.

Number six will have follow on questions, was the trip for fun or financial reward, this could go on forever, even if one set of questions are ever answered outside court, it will lead to many more questions.
Bluebina

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:21 pm

castleblue wrote:It's the answer to question number 1 that interests me the most because it continues this "Theme" of Cardiff City not being sure that the FA/ PL had concluded the registration process. It's the "Subject To International Clearance" aspect of this transfer again and if the International Transfer Certificate had not been received by the FA, FAW and FIFA then Emiliano Sala was a Nantes player at the time he stepped on that plane and not a Cardiff City player as the transfer had not been concluded.

The rest of it relating to who was getting a cut makes my flesh creep and I think most football fans will be saddened that it has taken the tragic loss of Emiliano Sala to highlight the "Seedy" side of the transfer process.

Do you remember Jermaine Darlington and his transfer from Cardiff City to AFC Wimbledon?

From what I remember he was registered to play for AFC Wimbledon but the Dons didn't realise they needed International Clearance as he came from a Welsh club. AFC were deducted points, were banned from Cup competitions and had to repay prize money for playing an illegible player.

So taking on your point ES could have been registered as a Cardiff player with the PL but that would have only been part of the ownership process. Until International Clearance was obtained technically he was probably still a Nantes player.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby dogfound » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I agree.

Number six will have follow on questions, was the trip for fun or financial reward, this could go on forever, even if one set of questions are ever answered outside court, it will lead to many more questions.

yes .. but the commercial flight questions are totally irrelevant unless it was a commercial flight.
dogfound

Postby Bluebina » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:07 pm

dogfound wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I agree.

yes .. but the commercial flight questions are totally irrelevant unless it was a commercial flight.

Oh yes of course, they will still need to know about payment for flying the plane though?

There was a query on the actual pilot and changes that will be looked into no doubt.
Bluebina

Postby castleblue » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
castleblue wrote:It's the answer to question number 1 that interests me the most because it continues this "Theme" of Cardiff City not being sure that the FA/ PL had concluded the registration process. It's the "Subject To International Clearance" aspect of this transfer again and if the International Transfer Certificate had not been received by the FA, FAW and FIFA then Emiliano Sala was a Nantes player at the time he stepped on that plane and not a Cardiff City player as the transfer had not been concluded.

Do you remember Jermaine Darlington and his transfer from Cardiff City to AFC Wimbledon?

From what I remember he was registered to play for AFC Wimbledon but the Dons didn't realise they needed International Clearance as he came from a Welsh club. AFC were deducted points, were banned from Cup competitions and had to repay prize money for playing an illegible player.

So taking on your point ES could have been registered as a Cardiff player with the PL but that would have only been part of the ownership process. Until International Clearance was obtained technically he was probably still a Nantes player.

Tony it goes to the very core of FIFA regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players and in particular section 5.2 "A player may only be registered with one club at a time".

So within "Football" regulations ES was either a Nantes player or a Cardiff City player and again as FIFA regulations are completely clear on this the transfer documents or contract WILL have included a clause detailing the transfer documents being submitted and approved through the FIFA Transfer Matching System and in this case subject to an International Transfer Certificate being received.

Another absolute requirement of the FIFA Statutes on player status and transfers is that club MUST insure their registered players against injury, including injury which would end their career.

So if the transfer of ES had not been concluded at the time he stepped on that plane he was still a Nantes player and any insurance claim would be made against their insurance policy. If however his transfer had been completed then his registration had been transferred to Cardiff City and any insurance claim would be against their insurance policy.

Of course notwithstanding any of that there is a massive question of negligence surrounding the status of the flight in which he lost his life.

Players can train at a new club and play in behind closed doors matches until the ITC is received but if they play in a competitive fixture they can expect to get the book thrown at them, as you rightly point out the case of Jermaine Darlington.

Another example of how firmly FIFA apply their statutes is the case of Adrien Silva and his £22m transfer from Sporting to Leicester on deadline day in August 2017 when the transfer documents were submitted 14 seconds late and the transfer was refused. Despite appeals to both FIFA and the Court For Arbitration In Sports the transfer could not be completed until January 2018. Between August 2017 and January 2018 Silva remained a Sporting player and could only train and play in behind closed door matches for Leicester.

I don't want to sound mercenary because two men have lost their lives but in business terms so much hinges on which club ES was registered with at the time of his death.

castleblue

Postby grange_end1927 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:29 pm

me 10 questions to since62 and Dalman.

1. Did you fully insure the player to cover his 5 year contract totalling a reported 30 million?

2. Your 4 man transfer committee voted 3-1 in favour of completing and agreeing a 15 million pound fee and transfer, if you agreed the fee why are you now especially considering you agreed it arguing about the fee you and the committee agreed?

3. As you agreed the 15 million which you now dispute is it safe to say Willie Mckay was actually being paid by Cardiff City to broker the deal and that he advised you badly in regard the fee?

4. If the player was not a Cardiff City registered player why can't Nantes FC claim on their insurance policy rather than request payment from Cardiff City?

5. Do you believe in the quote in regards valuations in any sort of business " somethings only worth what somebody else is prepared to pay?" If so why are you arguing after doing the business and signing the contracts now arguing the agreed transfer fee?

6. When Sala declined the commercial flight offer from the Cardiff City player liaison officer and cited his reasoning why did Cardiff City not offer a direct flight or advise where he could book one privately ?

7. How did Cardiff City player Jack Mckay know the player required a direct flight ? Did Cardiff City player liaison officer advise him?

8.Why were the Mckay brothers given 2 year deals as Cardiff City players when they had been released by many clubs and clearly would never make the level to play in the Cardiff City football first team?

9. Are you investigating  the relationship between Willie Mckay and Neil Warnock and the possibility Warnock was to earn from the 15 million transfer especially from Willie Mckay and that was the reason the transfer fee was in your thoughts now inflated?

10. Who negotiated and concluded the transfer on behalf of Cardiff City if it wasn't  the Mckay agency?  Neil Warnock clearly indicated that to buy players from France the Mckays were needed?
grange_end1927

Return to General Chat