Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gary Madine believes he was "hard done by" during his time

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:57 am

Gary Madine reveals why it all went wrong at Cardiff City, his off-field problems and why he's thriving with Sheffield United

BBC Radio Sheffield.

Thursday 21st February 2019

Gary Madine believes he was "hard done by" during his time with Cardiff City.

The striker joined Cardiff from Bolton for £6m in January 2018 and was part of the side that secured promotion from the Championship.

But after failing to score a single goal in his 19 appearances in all competitions for the Bluebirds, Madine last month joined Sheffield United on loan for the remainder of the 2018/19 campaign.

Madine has already featured six times for Chris Wilder's side, scoring twice in the Blades' 2-0 victory over Reading last time out.

And the forward believes his lack of game time under Neil Warnock severely crippled his chances of making an impact in the Welsh capital when he was thrust into the limelight.

GARY MADINE:

"I didn’t really get going at Cardiff and felt a bit hard done by at times,” Madine told BBC Radio Sheffield.

"I’d play the difficult games away from home and when we had a so-called easier game at home, I wasn’t playing.

"I wasn’t getting any chances so I lost fitness, confidence and goals, and it wasn’t a good place for me.

"I was six hours away from home and I’m a bit of a home boy, I like being home which I am now, three or four times a week.

"As you can tell by the way I’m playing, I’ve got a smile on my face and I’m buzzing."

Following his move to the Steel City, the striker - who scored 10 goals for Bolton in the opening half of the 2017/18 campaign before signing for Cardiff - has opened up on a number of off-the-field problems.

Madine was jailed during his time with United's local rivals Sheffield Wednesday for two separate attacks on fans of both Sheffield clubs.

And the 28-year-old has also discussed his problems with alcohol in the earlier days of his professional career.

"I’ve had my troubles off the pitch but ask anyone who I’ve worked for, and no-one will say a bad word about me in the club," he added.

"When I signed I saw a few fans say that I’d rock the dressing room, but I know Chris did his homework on me and, believe it or not, I’m actually a nice lad and I get on with all the lads here.

"Fair enough, I’ve had a bit of bother when I’ve had a drink in me but day to day, I turn up, do my work and go home without a peep.

"That’s not to say I’ll never have a drink again, though. I’m learning as I get older to pick and choose when to have a drink, rather than thinking I can go out every Saturday and Tuesday and perform at a high level.

"That’s probably why my career stalled a little bit, because I was doing that and you can’t afford to at this level.

"You have to be bang at it all the time and pick and choose when you have a little drink. I’ve learned the hard way.

"I know now you can’t do that but you learn from experience and I’m glad now that I’ve got good people around me. The gaffer and his staff trust me, the lads are great and the fans are great, so all’s good."

Madine's current contract with Cardiff expires in June 2021.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Gary Madine believes he was "hard done by" during his ti

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:03 am

Comes across as a big wuss.

"I was six hours away from home and I’m a bit of a home boy, I like being home which I am now, three or four times a week"

What sort of excuse is that?
:banghead:

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:24 am

Come on Gary stop the excuses you were absolute shit.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:44 am

Was destined to fail as soon as he missed that penalty

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:48 am

Speaks like a man that isn't coming back.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:53 am

GENERAL CHAT wrote:Comes across as a big wuss.

"I was six hours away from home and I’m a bit of a home boy, I like being home which I am now, three or four times a week"

What sort of excuse is that?
:banghead:

I agree.
Dry ya eyes ffs.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:53 am

Sounds like he knows he won't be returning then. Maybe a good thing for all parties by the sounds of this.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 am

Snowflake, home didn't seem to bother him when the cheque book was open.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:18 am

Awww he wasn't happy being away from home. Even with the biggest contract of his life. Truth is he's a donkey.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:29 am

I’m glad he’s doing well at united atleast we should get some dollar back for him.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:56 am

Throughout this world, there are young players ( still in their teens ) who are playing in foreign countries and having to adapt to a totally new way of life and pick up the lingo. Yet Madine, who will be 29 this year, gets homesick?

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:36 am

Melsuttonholyboots wrote:Sounds like he knows he won't be returning then. Maybe a good thing for all parties by the sounds of this.

Brilliant, if true :clap:

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:42 am

Was always going to be a failed transfer as he doesn’t have the ability

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:02 am

Pidgeofcdf wrote:Was destined to fail as soon as he missed that penalty

Agreed his Cardiff career hinged on that second the ball left his foot !!!

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:43 am

He shouldn't be saying stuff like that publicly. A touch of Craig Bellamy syndrome perhaps.

Objectively he was given every chance at Cardiff City, who certainly wouldn't have paid £6m unless they wanted him to play in the team. Unlike a lot of good championship players he got his chance to make the step up but he was the only one who could have done what was needed to impress in the Premiership.
Everyone's has got their limitations and now he knows his, so instead of trying to blame someone else for his shortcomings he should learn a lesson and enjoy his current role as a championship player , which is in itself a great achievement, with the added bonus that he's on Premiershio money thanks to Cardiff City.

I'm dissapointed by his attitude really

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:57 pm

I don’t disagree with him about the games he played and I don’t think he has been given a fair go this season either especially when you consider how we have struggled upfront. No idea if he is up to it as haven’t seen enough of him.

But I never understand it when they go on about being to far away from home, you know where the club is when you sign, if you’re not so great at geography then get your phone out and go on google maps. it’s a pathetic accuse.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:05 pm

Never really given a chance???? 19 games in half a season!!! You were shit Gary despite the manager holding your hand and putting his faith in you. Couldn't hit a barn door comes to mind.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:27 pm

"I know Chris did his homework on me"

I wish we did

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Llantwit bluebird wrote:Never really given a chance???? 19 games in half a season!!! You were shit Gary despite the manager holding your hand and putting his faith in you. Couldn't hit a barn door comes to mind.

Is that starts? Didn't seem that many.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Should've tried scoring some goals then

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:59 pm

So him being home sick was the reason he never run around, fell over his own feet, couldnt shoot and ponced around the pitch. F*** off. I've hated his attitude since he joined the club and this interview just confirms how big of a tw** he is. Blaiming every one and everything else but himself. He's an average championship striker at best who's lucky to be playing for a Sheffield United team that creates 6 chances a game for him. The fact he couldnt get ahead of an injured Zohore, a make shift striker in Paterson says a lot. Even Danny Ward who granted isn't premier league quality still worked his arse off for the team and gave his all unlike that lazy c**t. Rant over :lol:

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:08 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:So him being home sick was the reason he never run around, fell over his own feet, couldnt shoot and ponced around the pitch. F*** off. I've hated his attitude since he joined the club and this interview just confirms how big of a tw** he is. Blaiming every one and everything else but himself. He's an average championship striker at best who's lucky to be playing for a Sheffield United team that creates 6 chances a game for him. The fact he couldnt get ahead of an injured Zohore, a make shift striker in Paterson says a lot. Even Danny Ward who granted isn't premier league quality still worked his arse off for the team and gave his all unlike that lazy c**t. Rant over :lol:

You're obviously on the fence about this.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:12 pm

BobbyBlue wrote:I’m glad he’s doing well at united atleast we should get some dollar back for him.

Let's hope so .

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:16 pm

Fml toughen up chief.... how does he think other people survive, head down and get the f**k on with it... :roll: :lol:

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:09 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:So him being home sick was the reason he never run around, fell over his own feet, couldnt shoot and ponced around the pitch. F*** off. I've hated his attitude since he joined the club and this interview just confirms how big of a tw** he is. Blaiming every one and everything else but himself. He's an average championship striker at best who's lucky to be playing for a Sheffield United team that creates 6 chances a game for him. The fact he couldnt get ahead of an injured Zohore, a make shift striker in Paterson says a lot. Even Danny Ward who granted isn't premier league quality still worked his arse off for the team and gave his all unlike that lazy c**t. Rant over :lol:

You're obviously on the fence about this.

:lol:

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:09 pm

Well he might be thriving at Sheff Utd but he belongs to us he s gotta come back or it's 6 million please Sheffield

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:27 am

Scoularfan wrote:Well he might be thriving at Sheff Utd but he belongs to us he s gotta come back or it's 6 million please Sheffield

We'd be very lucky if we got anywhere near 6m for him. Mind, a lot will depend on how Sheffield United's season pans out. If they get promoted, then 6m will be nothing for them, however, they might feel they would need better than him in the Premier (rightly so, too!). On the other hand, if they remain in the Championship on the back of him having bagged a few more goals, I think 2m would be more reasonable.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:32 am

Alan_in_China wrote:
Scoularfan wrote:Well he might be thriving at Sheff Utd but he belongs to us he s gotta come back or it's 6 million please Sheffield

We'd be very lucky if we got anywhere near 6m for him. Mind, a lot will depend on how Sheffield United's season pans out. If they get promoted, then 6m will be nothing for them, however, they might feel they would need better than him in the Premier (rightly so, too!). On the other hand, if they remain in the Championship on the back of him having bagged a few more goals, I think 2m would be more reasonable.

I'd bite their hand off for £2mill.....even less, just to get him off the payroll.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:47 pm

If he can bang in the goals id bring him back and give him a chance, especially if we do go down.