Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Chris Sutton - BT Sport

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:22 pm

Honestly, why is this guy allowed to say anything? I'm not sure if there's a clip I can find apart from something BT Sport uploaded onto Instagram but I was just wondering if anybody had heard what he said this morning; ranting about Brendan Rodgers going to Leicester and claiming that even Celtic's reserves are bigger than Leicester City. I get the debate over who's the bigger side out of Leicester or Celtic but the fact remains, although Celtic have the bigger games, they can go from playing Valencia to someone like Hamilton in the same week whereas Leicester will consistently play the likes of Everton, Watford, Tottenham - even teams that could get promoted from the championship to the premiership (i.e. Leeds, Norwich, West Brom, Middlesbrough) are more attractive to play against than away to teams in the top division in Scotland (i.e. St Johnstone, Livingston, Hamilton, St Mirren) :old:

Re: Chris Sutton - BT Sport

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:43 pm

'bigger club' means different things to different people. does it mean money? support? local support or worldwide support? trophies / league titles?

it's a controversial issue because calling celtic bigger or smaller than a given english club will immediately bring up the age old argument about the PL being richer and more competitive. talk shows love to talk about it because it's an easy way to drive higher ratings.

if you are looking at support both home and abroad, celtic are a much bigger club than leicester. they are probably bigger than any english club other than perhaps liverpool, arsenal and man utd.

when you retire, would you rather regale the glory days of when leicester finished mid table and avoided relegation? or would you talk about winning league titles, competing in the champions league / europa league every season with celtic.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:46 pm

As a manager he said he wants to test himself again in a bigger league. THAT cannot be argued. Although the clown Sutton would probably try.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:09 pm

northernbluebird wrote:'bigger club' means different things to different people. does it mean money? support? local support or worldwide support? trophies / league titles?

it's a controversial issue because calling celtic bigger or smaller than a given english club will immediately bring up the age old argument about the PL being richer and more competitive. talk shows love to talk about it because it's an easy way to drive higher ratings.

if you are looking at support both home and abroad, celtic are a much bigger club than leicester. they are probably bigger than any english club other than perhaps liverpool, arsenal and man utd.

when you retire, would you rather regale the glory days of when leicester finished mid table and avoided relegation? or would you talk about winning league titles, competing in the champions league / europa league every season with celtic.

I understand that and I did say I can get the debate over the first teams but my point is there is no way that Celtic’s reserves are bigger than Leicester. He wasn’t talking about Celtic’s reserves being bigger than Leicester’s reserves, he was saying that Celtic’s reserves are bigger than Leicester full stop. Like what you’re saying, the size of a club can mean something different to everyone but surely a Premiership club is bigger than a Scottish reserve team in every aspect?

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:46 pm

BluebirdForever wrote:
northernbluebird wrote:'bigger club' means different things to different people. does it mean money? support? local support or worldwide support? trophies / league titles?

I understand that and I did say I can get the debate over the first teams but my point is there is no way that Celtic’s reserves are bigger than Leicester. He wasn’t talking about Celtic’s reserves being bigger than Leicester’s reserves, he was saying that Celtic’s reserves are bigger than Leicester full stop. Like what you’re saying, the size of a club can mean something different to everyone but surely a Premiership club is bigger than a Scottish reserve team in every aspect?

sutton was just exaggerating to make his point and he does that to get noticed.

i'd agree that it's ridiculous to compare reserve and first teams, but the point is that with support and history, leicester are miniscule compared to celtic.

if you want to just look at money, it will throw up some odd results. it's one i don't agree with because what matters to most people is what happens on match day, not in a board room.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Man City reserves could whoop Celtic...

That’s where Celtic are.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Scottish football is all about two sides,Celtic and rangers,both have massive support,if a European league was ever created and these two involved, we would see how big they were

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:09 pm

Don’t forget Sutton was a Celtic player for 6 years, so perhaps he’s trying to justify his time up there.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:19 am

noisycat wrote:Don’t forget Sutton was a Celtic player for 6 years, so perhaps he’s trying to justify his time up there.

good point, your probably correct mate.
how proud can a player be of his 4 title winning medals up there when players like Adam Mathews have exactly the same.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Only place apart from one decent season picking off Shearers scraps he could score,his record at Chelsea was abysmal,plus the guys a first class bellend!

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:59 pm

When Sutton played for them there was less of a gap than nowadays, so comparisons are difficult.

In all honesty would Celtic gain automatic promotion if you placed them in the championship next season, i doubt it. Over three seasons with the TV money and their attendance of course they would. After that, who knows if they could survive. But, it will never happen.

A player who has never played for Leicesters first team is on loan there and plays regularly. Huge gulf in class. Impressive stadium, piss poor league, great history, but Brenda is in the now.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Listened to Radio 5 Live commentaries whilst doing some DIY this weekend and left the station on for 606 (or whatever the Sunday version is)

Chris Sutton is a joke and I think he knows it. He is more 'deliberate' than talkSPORTS Adrain Durham and courts controversy just to get 'bites'

Had a couple of 'pops' aimed at Roibbie Savage, too; no doubt trying to get another rise out of him

Sadly, it's keeping him on air and subsequently he is being paid well for it, too! :(

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Sven wrote:Listened to Radio 5 Live commentaries whilst doing some DIY this weekend and left the station on for 606 (or whatever the Sunday version is)

Chris Sutton is a joke and I think he knows it. He is more 'deliberate' than talkSPORTS Adrain Durham and courts controversy just to get 'bites'

Had a couple of 'pops' aimed at Roibbie Savage, too; no doubt trying to get another rise out of him

Sadly, it's keeping him on air and subsequently he is being paid well for it, too! :(

That’s exactly it mate he just spunk’s out click bait by courting controversy and making childish statements.