Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ The problem at Cardiff has been there all season “

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:08 am

NO proper striker( Premier Striker) since the opening day of the season and that is where the problem has been.

We have now gone 3 games and only scored one goal, but we have also gone this season with three games in a row without scoring.

We start the games with all out attack, yesterday at Wolves for 15mins, but actually do nothing.

We started with all out attack at home to Everton and I don’t think we had a shot on goal all match.

Zohore, Reid, Murphy, Ward etc are not Premier League and there lies the biggest problem in my opinion .

I don’t rate Oumar Niasse, his shooting has been awful.

No point getting rid of them if relegated as they are very good Championship strikers and the good news is No other Prem clubs will want them.

But if we stay up all of them have to go in my opinion.

We keep blaming our defence but because we struggle to score the defence is under constant pressure and in the end concedes.

Neil Etheridge for me was superb yesterday and we could of lost 6 nil :thumbright: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ The problem at Cardiff has been there all season “

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:12 am

Scored a goal v Watford.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:15 am

We haven’t gone 3 game without scoring.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:17 am

Totally agree,,, & the writing was on the wall last August 11th. It took us until October 20th to win our first game,,, v Fulham.

We planned to eventually fail,,, the forlorn hope was that there would be three teams worse than us....

With our current playing squad, & tactics, how could we possibly expect anything else in the Premiership???

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:32 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:Totally agree,,, & the writing was on the wall last August 11th. It took us until October 20th to win our first game,,, v Fulham.

We planned to eventually fail,,, the forlorn hope was that there would be three teams worse than us....

With our current playing squad, & tactics, how could we possibly expect anything else in the Premiership???

Spot on Rick from day one

Sat Aug 11 - AFC Bournemouth 2 Cardiff City 0 :cry: Crowd 10,353 Away Support(1,211).

Sat Aug 18 - Cardiff City 0 Newcastle United 0 :thumbright: Crowd 30,720 Away Support (2,157 )

Sat Aug 25 - Huddersfield Town 0 Cardiff City 0 Crowd 21,193 Away Support ( 2,261 )

But we all knew this back in June/ July.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:36 am

I know it’s disappointing but we’re still in it. Found this form guide, it doesn’t include yesterday’s match but over the last 6 we’re sat 15th and over the last 5 we’re sat 13th

Last six

05CFE1D8-DAC5-4E2A-B0C5-8A43786F58F6.png

Last five

6DB0C8B3-198C-4BF6-8487-DA0E88ACE891.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:45 am

snoopystorm wrote:I know it’s disappointing but we’re still in it. Found this form guide, it doesn’t include yesterday’s match but over the last 6 we’re sat 15th and over the last 5 we’re sat 13th

Last six

Last five

Paul, my big worry is as well that in the last three games we've virtually collapsed and I think the Sala/money/contract could not be effecting our management.

West Ham home for me is more than vital we win it :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:51 am

Forever Blue wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:I know it’s disappointing but we’re still in it. Found this form guide, it doesn’t include yesterday’s match but over the last 6 we’re sat 15th and over the last 5 we’re sat 13th

Last six

Last five

Paul, my big worry is as well that in the last three games we've virtually collapsed and I think the Sala/money/contract could not be effecting our management.

I agree that the Sala tragedy and its fallout has caught up with the club. The McKay story in the Telegraph today shows the craziness going on behind the scenes.

The body language of the players seems to have changed too. Niasse completely blanked the fans after he went off by us and walked arou d the pitch.

It's all caught up with us I think.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:52 am

Reply from fb

Glenn Villis:

Spending big on a proven premiership striker should have been priority number one. Didn’t do it last time in the premier and it cost us . Instead of Spending 4m on Cunningham and Reid 12m

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:53 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Last six

Last five

Totally agree Annis, we still need 10 points from 5 games to be in with a chance to stay up, if we get a point from the top 4 then that’s a bonus

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:54 am

Forever Blue wrote:Reply from fb

Glenn Villis:

Spending big on a proven premiership striker should have been priority number one. Didn’t do it last time in the premier and it cost us . Instead of Spending 4m on Cunningham and Reid 12m

Reid is a good player. Has shown a lot of potential.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:54 am

Halifax93 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Last six

Last five

I agree that the Sala tragedy and its fallout has caught up with the club. The McKay story in the Telegraph today shows the craziness going on behind the scenes.

The body language of the players seems to have changed too. Niasse completely blanked the fans after he went off by us and walked arou d the pitch.

It's all caught up with us I think.

Sadly massively.

Last time we had a terrible season up with the Red and it ruined our season a divided club.

This time I think what happened to Emiliano has hurt us big time.

Only coup happen to us, our only two Premier seasons and both turn sour and one beyond sadness.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:55 am

maccydee wrote:

Glenn Villis:

How many goals Neil?

It’s goals what count in the Premier League .

Championship player.

Many compliment Zohore, but he continually fails at Prem level.

Both good players, but you need proven Prem Strikers to survive.

The facts are there.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:59 am

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Glenn Villis:

How many goals Neil?

Championship player.

The facts are there.

4 goals for Reid.

Interested how many minutes he has played.

Never gets a run of games sadly.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:12 am

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Glenn Villis:

How many goals Neil?

Championship player.

The facts are there.

4 goals for Reid.

In 23 games incl cup, not good enough.

If relegated, then hopefully Reid bangs in 20 plus goals.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:15 am

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Glenn Villis:

How many goals Neil?

Championship player.

The facts are there.

4 goals for Reid.

But how many minutes Annis? Been sub or subbed a lot.

23 games and 5 goals including cup.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:19 am

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Glenn Villis:

How many goals Neil?

Championship player.

The facts are there.

4 goals for Reid.

Neil, 4 goals I make it in 23 games.

I have not got a clue in how many minutes, but thats down to Warnock if he thinks Reid is good enough.

Neil you rate Warnock highly like me, so if Warnock thought Reid would do the job he would play him more.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:21 am

Forever Blue wrote:NO proper striker( Premier Striker) since the opening day of the season and that is where the problem has been.

We have now gone 3 games and only scored one goal, but we have also gone this season with three games in a row without scoring.

We start the games with all out attack, yesterday at Wolves for 15mins, but actually do nothing.

We started with all out attack at home to Everton and I don’t think we had a shot on goal all match.

Zohore, Reid, Murphy, Ward etc are not Premier League and there lies the biggest problem in my opinion .

I don’t rate Oumar Niasse, his shooting has been awful.

No point getting rid of them if relegated as they are very good Championship strikers and the good news is No other Prem clubs will want them.

But if we stay up all of them have to go in my opinion.

We keep blaming our defence but because we struggle to score the defence is under constant pressure and in the end concedes.

Neil Etheridge for me was superb yesterday and we could of lost 6 nil :thumbright: :bluebird:

Most accurate post have seen you do annis, absolutely spot on. The quality is not there especially up top and personally think we have done amazing to keep in touch.

Am not sure all of them would need to go if we stayed up but most of the mentioned, on the plus side we have built not just for this season and made the stupid mistakes of the past. It’s a very good championship even when you take out the loan players and one or two that might leave. Niasse started well was awful yesterday and has no belief.

It might not seem important now and I hear the we have to give ourselves a chance in the prem, 100% but just look at Fulham for evidence it can go so badly wrong. We might well have to be a yo yo club for a bit and I know it’s difficult to get promoted again but we have a blueprint for the future. A lot of that is down to Warnock.

People hate losing that’s evident but make no mistake whoever take over if we go down won’t just have decent players at that level but the right character and with championship experience. Murphy if he sorts himself out and Reid will be a real threat in the championship.

It’s frustrating but we aren’t done yet, difficult and almost impossible. But don’t write us off just yet.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:25 am

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Glenn Villis:

How many goals Neil?

Am a massive Reid fan, unfortunately he doesn’t fit the way we play and I don’t think Warnock thought about that first. It is about here and now but also you can’t dismiss what Reid will be capable of should we go down.

Championship player.

The facts are there.

4 goals for Reid.

Neil, 4 goals I make it in 23 games.

I have not got a clue in how many minutes, but thats down to Warnock if he thinks Reid is good enough.

Neil you rate Warnock highly like me, so if Warnock thought Reid would do the job he would play him more.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:31 am

You are right Annis.

I’ve no idea why he hasn’t played him more.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:39 am

I don't disagree we should have brought in a striker in the summer but it's also an issue the way we set up, no striker has really had many chances like other teams create. They have to cover so much ground, chasing lost causes and long balls.

I think if we had brought in a defensive midfielder and a proper right back who Warnock trusted he may have allowed other players more freedom to try and create chances.

It's all very well playing two strikers at wolves but it's pointless it we aren't creating a anything.

I think both Reid, Niasse and Zohore would get goals if we could create a decent amount of chances. Sadly its been more about them creating their own chances on scraps of service which just won't work.

For me the basic problem is the way we set up.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:55 am

Didn't do Fulham much good signing Mitrovitch a premier league striker for £20m,

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:04 pm

Igovernor wrote:Didn't do Fulham much good signing Mitrovitch a premier league striker for £20m,

Exactly or spending 100 million.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:40 pm

Simple answer we don’t hold onto the ball long enough to creat. Should have gone for deeney paid £20 mil £120,000 a wk

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Only Fulham conceded more and only Huddersfield scored less, the issues are at both end of the pitch.

Have we scored a goal from a long throw all season? I don't know why we persist.

The fans behind me spent all game telling Niase to f##k off back to Everton and then when second half started and Peltier was in front of us started the same on him. Niase came off right in front of us and looked as broken as you'll see. He needs a goal from somewhere but no one can say he has had chances created for him because the team haven't.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:07 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:Totally agree,,, & the writing was on the wall last August 11th. It took us until October 20th to win our first game,,, v Fulham.

This post is absolutely spot on and I have stated a very similar view on this forum since our horrendous opening few matches of the season when we dropped too many points against teams in our "mini league" because whilst we defended well enough, we simply couldn't hit the side of a barn with a banjo striking wise!!

Yes I've heard all the "sensible" comments from posters on this forum about learning from our last experience in the Premier and not mortgaging the family silver in case of relegation but like it or lump it, the bottom line we should have learnt was that you have to speculate to accumulate or you simply won't survive in this league. OK - if as a fan you are happy with the Championship and/or yo yoing up and down- and power to your elbow if you are; I won't knock you - then the minimal investment strategy is a good one but if like me you feel City have been "also rans" for too long then you won't be happy with that approach. I agree its not my money and he who pays the piper calls the tune and I am grateful for what VT has done so far but we can't fairly blame NW, his tactics or the players for where we are today as they are doing the best they can with what they have but its simply not enough for us to avoid relegation IMHO.

I suspect we will need to find a rich Arab sheik to reach the promised land of becoming an established Premier club because we will never progress beyond surviving as "also rans" with VT at the helm.

PS. Please don't flag up the position at Fulham with their £100m spend. They are just one club - who I suspect have suffered from bad management and bad decision making - or I will point you to 17 other clubs in the Premier who have spent much more than us either in this season and/or in previous years to bring in the required Premier quality depth of squad we can only dream about at the moment.

Just my honest view of things.

:( :( :( :bluebird: :( :( :(

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 pm

blemmy wrote:

This post is absolutely spot on and I have stated a very similar view on this forum since our horrendous opening few matches of the season when we dropped too many points against teams in our "mini league" because whilst we defended well enough, we simply couldn't hit the side of a barn with a banjo striking wise!!

Yes I've heard all the "sensible" comments from posters on this forum about learning from our last experience in the Premier and not mortgaging the family silver in case of relegation but like it or lump it, the bottom line we should have learnt was that you have to speculate to accumulate or you simply won't survive in this league. OK - if as a fan you are happy with the Championship and/or yo yoing up and down- and power to your elbow if you are; I won't knock you - then the minimal investment strategy is a good one but if like me you feel City have been "also rans" for too long then you won't be happy with that approach. I agree its not my money and he who pays the piper calls the tune and I am grateful for what VT has done so far but we can't fairly blame NW, his tactics or the players for where we are today as they are doing the best they can with what they have but its simply not enough for us to avoid relegation IMHO.

I suspect we will need to find a rich Arab sheik to reach the promised land of becoming an established Premier club because we will never progress beyond surviving as "also rans" with VT at the helm.

PS. Please don't flag up the position at Fulham with their £100m spend. They are just one club - who I suspect have suffered from bad management and bad decision making - or I will point you to 17 other clubs in the Premier who have spent much more than us either in this season and/or in previous years to bring in the required Premier quality depth of squad we can only dream about at the moment.

Just my honest view of things.

:( :( :( :bluebird: :( :( :(

Great post :thumbup:

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:31 pm

Interesting to see we are in exactly the same position this season after 29 games as our last PL jaunt.

3rd from bottom and 2 points adrift of the club above us.

It seems as if we have performed much better this season , how wrong can you be.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:10 pm

We got off to a much better start last time around though capitulated completely at the end of the season.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Gun Ho at corners and long throws all our defenders become attackers and we get sucked in on the counter attack every time.
Tactics cost nothing.
When we played Wolves at home everyone was surprised at our line up with 5 in the middle and one up front and we won... What did we do yesterday played two up front and go smashed...only one man can be blamed for tactics.