Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: “ The problem at Cardiff has been there all season “

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:32 am

reading this thread says a lot about people.
There are some that are totally negative, have given up and the sort will never succeed in life as they are too busy being negative on themselves and those around them.

It's a game - a game of strategy, tactics and cunning. There are 9 cup finals left. Treat everyone as if it's your first and last.

Weve been here before - divided we fall.
If you have something positive to say - then say it . If you dont have something positive to say - then think of something positive to say. As the opposite of this adds nothing.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:12 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:reading this thread says a lot about people.
There are some that are totally negative, have given up and the sort will never succeed in life as they are too busy being negative on themselves and those around them.

It's a game - a game of strategy, tactics and cunning. There are 9 cup finals left. Treat everyone as if it's your first and last.

If you have something positive to say - then say it . If you dont have something positive to say - then think of something positive to say. As the opposite of this adds nothing.

I think the relevant point to the original post was that as a football club, we are where we are, due to the actions & management that was taken not only last Summer,,, but more importantly since.

I dont think anyone has quiet given up on things yet, however, no amount of positive mental attitude will change what's come to pass. Roll on the next game!

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:12 am

blemmy wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:Totally agree,,, & the writing was on the wall last August 11th. It took us until October 20th to win our first game,,, v Fulham.

We planned to eventually fail,,, the forlorn hope was that there would be three teams worse than us....

With our current playing squad, & tactics, how could we possibly expect anything else in the Premiership???

This post is absolutely spot on and I have stated a very similar view on this forum since our horrendous opening few matches of the season when we dropped too many points against teams in our "mini league" because whilst we defended well enough, we simply couldn't hit the side of a barn with a banjo striking wise!!

Yes I've heard all the "sensible" comments from posters on this forum about learning from our last experience in the Premier and not mortgaging the family silver in case of relegation but like it or lump it, the bottom line we should have learnt was that you have to speculate to accumulate or you simply won't survive in this league. OK - if as a fan you are happy with the Championship and/or yo yoing up and down- and power to your elbow if you are; I won't knock you - then the minimal investment strategy is a good one but if like me you feel City have been "also rans" for too long then you won't be happy with that approach. I agree its not my money and he who pays the piper calls the tune and I am grateful for what VT has done so far but we can't fairly blame NW, his tactics or the players for where we are today as they are doing the best they can with what they have but its simply not enough for us to avoid relegation IMHO.

I suspect we will need to find a rich Arab sheik to reach the promised land of becoming an established Premier club because we will never progress beyond surviving as "also rans" with VT at the helm.

PS. Please don't flag up the position at Fulham with their £100m spend. They are just one club - who I suspect have suffered from bad management and bad decision making - or I will point you to 17 other clubs in the Premier who have spent much more than us either in this season and/or in previous years to bring in the required Premier quality depth of squad we can only dream about at the moment.

Just my honest view of things.

:( :( :( :bluebird: :( :( :(

FULHAM...its not just Fulham though is it.? what about the 3 relegated clubs last season and the season before , were they small spenders also ?

on the whole i agree and disagree with your post. we have nowhere near enough quality on one hand but more positions than you can point a stick at need strengthening on the other..the plan was spend small hope we can stay up and strengthen again instead of spending 3 /4 times as much maybe still going down and then being in serious financial difficulties for years..not sure if you missed the accounts being published last week but we lost 34 mill in a promotion season much of that historic..

as much as i would love Tan to be like man city or chelseas owner ,he is not and you have to be grateful for what he does.yes it could be better but it could be a 100 times worse too. those that do not see that are either too young to remember the double relegation in the 80s and the the whole of the 90s or just never bothered turning up back then. i did and therefore appreciate this GOLDEN ERA..it might not feel like it but after 18 consecutive years in tiers 3 and 4, trust me it is.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:19 am

Even if we had bought a premier league quality striker would he be scoring goals for us? Yes Zohore and Niasse were both pretty dreadful but the service to them was poor also. I rather suspect had Sala been in the team on Saturday he would be tearing his hair out at the lack of quality crosses into the box. Only worth having a premier league strike if you have some premier league players supplying him with some chances.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:49 am

Forever Blue wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:I know it’s disappointing but we’re still in it. Found this form guide, it doesn’t include yesterday’s match but over the last 6 we’re sat 15th and over the last 5 we’re sat 13th

Last six

05CFE1D8-DAC5-4E2A-B0C5-8A43786F58F6.png

Last five

6DB0C8B3-198C-4BF6-8487-DA0E88ACE891.png

Paul, my big worry is as well that in the last three games we've virtually collapsed and I think the Sala/money/contract could not be effecting our management.

West Ham home for me is more than vital we win it :thumbright: :bluebird:

We've coped ok at times and scored a few goals, the bigger worry is now we are leaking them like a sieve !!!

If we can't get back to basics and defend as a team we are going down!!!

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:54 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:reading this thread says a lot about people.

Agreed we need to stick together, we need to go straight back to basics like Burnley did and start by making us hard to beat, it's alright attacking but when we leave ourselves open at the back, we will need five goals to win a game and even then we will draw a few !!!

Back to basics defend as a team, we start with a point and protect that point while trying to pinch two more !!!!

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:57 am

Sloper Road wrote:Gun Ho at corners and long throws all our defenders become attackers and we get sucked in on the counter attack every time.
Tactics cost nothing.
When we played Wolves at home everyone was surprised at our line up with 5 in the middle and one up front and we won... What did we do yesterday played two up front and go smashed...only one man can be blamed for tactics.

Agreed we've gone away from what we are good at, if we keep it tight we only need a goal to win the game, it can be ugly but gets results !!!

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Crayfish wrote:Even if we had bought a premier league quality striker would he be scoring goals for us? Yes Zohore and Niasse were both pretty dreadful but the service to them was poor also. I rather suspect had Sala been in the team on Saturday he would be tearing his hair out at the lack of quality crosses into the box. Only worth having a premier league strike if you have some premier league players supplying him with some chances.

I agree

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:19 pm

dogfound wrote:
blemmy wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:Totally agree,,, & the writing was on the wall last August 11th. It took us until October 20th to win our first game,,, v Fulham.

We planned to eventually fail,,, the forlorn hope was that there would be three teams worse than us....

With our current playing squad, & tactics, how could we possibly expect anything else in the Premiership???

This post is absolutely spot on and I have stated a very similar view on this forum since our horrendous opening few matches of the season when we dropped too many points against teams in our "mini league" because whilst we defended well enough, we simply couldn't hit the side of a barn with a banjo striking wise!!

Yes I've heard all the "sensible" comments from posters on this forum about learning from our last experience in the Premier and not mortgaging the family silver in case of relegation but like it or lump it, the bottom line we should have learnt was that you have to speculate to accumulate or you simply won't survive in this league. OK - if as a fan you are happy with the Championship and/or yo yoing up and down- and power to your elbow if you are; I won't knock you - then the minimal investment strategy is a good one but if like me you feel City have been "also rans" for too long then you won't be happy with that approach. I agree its not my money and he who pays the piper calls the tune and I am grateful for what VT has done so far but we can't fairly blame NW, his tactics or the players for where we are today as they are doing the best they can with what they have but its simply not enough for us to avoid relegation IMHO.

I suspect we will need to find a rich Arab sheik to reach the promised land of becoming an established Premier club because we will never progress beyond surviving as "also rans" with VT at the helm.

PS. Please don't flag up the position at Fulham with their £100m spend. They are just one club - who I suspect have suffered from bad management and bad decision making - or I will point you to 17 other clubs in the Premier who have spent much more than us either in this season and/or in previous years to bring in the required Premier quality depth of squad we can only dream about at the moment.

FULHAM...its not just Fulham though is it.? what about the 3 relegated clubs last season and the season before , were they small spenders also ?

on the whole i agree and disagree with your post. we have nowhere near enough quality on one hand but more positions than you can point a stick at need strengthening on the other..the plan was spend small hope we can stay up and strengthen again instead of spending 3 /4 times as much maybe still going down and then being in serious financial difficulties for years..not sure if you missed the accounts being published last week but we lost 34 mill in a promotion season much of that historic..

as much as i would love Tan to be like man city or chelseas owner ,he is not and you have to be grateful for what he does.yes it could be better but it could be a 100 times worse too. those that do not see that are either too young to remember the double relegation in the 80s and the the whole of the 90s or just never bothered turning up back then. i did and therefore appreciate this GOLDEN ERA..it might not feel like it but after 18 consecutive years in tiers 3 and 4, trust me it is.

It's all about opinions and me and you will have to agree to disagree on this one.
I mentioned Fulham as that's the team the non-spenders always throw up when someone dares mentioning spending some money!!
It will be interesting to see what the accounts for this year and next year show in terms of losses and profits as we are likely to take in (even if relegated) near to £180m and what have we spent?
I don't knock NW or the players - they have and continue to do their best but we cannot survive in this league without more significant investment in the team. As I said - if you are a fan happy with status quo then good luck to you - I'm not. I believe and you must surely also believe that under VT we will never move to the next stage - you are comfortable about that - fine - but I'd rather see us progress and I look forward to the dream of us finding that owner that can finance us becoming an established team in the Premier league but will continue to support City whether we do or not - just as I have for the last 50 years.
:thumbright: :bluebird: :thumbright:

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:21 pm

Crayfish wrote:Even if we had bought a premier league quality striker would he be scoring goals for us? Yes Zohore and Niasse were both pretty dreadful but the service to them was poor also. I rather suspect had Sala been in the team on Saturday he would be tearing his hair out at the lack of quality crosses into the box. Only worth having a premier league strike if you have some premier league players supplying him with some chances.

Exactly - everything comes back to investing in quality - if we can't and we didn't - we are going only one way no matter how hard the players work or whatever tactics NW engages.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:41 pm

blemmy wrote:
dogfound wrote:
blemmy wrote:

It's all about opinions and me and you will have to agree to disagree on this one.
I mentioned Fulham as that's the team the non-spenders always throw up when someone dares mentioning spending some money!!
It will be interesting to see what the accounts for this year and next year show in terms of losses and profits as we are likely to take in (even if relegated) near to £180m and what have we spent?
I don't knock NW or the players - they have and continue to do their best but we cannot survive in this league without more significant investment in the team. As I said - if you are a fan happy with status quo then good luck to you - I'm not. I believe and you must surely also believe that under VT we will never move to the next stage - you are comfortable about that - fine - but I'd rather see us progress and I look forward to the dream of us finding that owner that can finance us becoming an established team in the Premier league but will continue to support City whether we do or not - just as I have for the last 50 years.

tbh mate I really don't get the idea you seem to hold that you want to progress and others do not and are against being good { how can anyone come to that conclusion }..
its not about people being happy with relegation or what you call the staus quo..its more to do with reasonable expectations..i would be chuffed if we had an owner prepared to throw money, but we havent, we have one that absorbs the overspend..
what have we spent....about 50 mill in fees if we end up paying for ES {i think we will } plus all the add ons.plus what we spent last year plus promotion bonuses, plus many new improved contracts..what is left is not enough to go on a spending spree big enough to make a real difference eg signing a 50 mill pound match winning midfielder like Gylfi..let alone 2 or 3 experienced prem players to go with him..
its nothing to do with not wanting to progress.
and everything to do with knocking a very good owner which most will not do.
feel free to throw a 100 mill in whenever your ready..i wont complain

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:08 pm

dogfound wrote:
blemmy wrote:
dogfound wrote:
blemmy wrote:

tbh mate I really don't get the idea you seem to hold that you want to progress and others do not and are against being good { how can anyone come to that conclusion }..
its not about people being happy with relegation or what you call the staus quo..its more to do with reasonable expectations..i would be chuffed if we had an owner prepared to throw money, but we havent, we have one that absorbs the overspend..
what have we spent....about 50 mill in fees if we end up paying for ES {i think we will } plus all the add ons.plus what we spent last year plus promotion bonuses, plus many new improved contracts..what is left is not enough to go on a spending spree big enough to make a real difference eg signing a 50 mill pound match winning midfielder like Gylfi..let alone 2 or 3 experienced prem players to go with him..

So at last we agree - VT is not the man to take this club forward - that' s what I've been saying all along!

As far as my being able to put £100m into the club is as unlikely as frogs growing feathers but if I did have the kind of money VT has and the kind of money we as a club will earn over this season and next; I would put the money in because I am a real City fan who wants to see his club up there with the best. As a very famous man once said: "Ambition is enthusiasm with a purpose"
:thumbup:

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:01 pm

blemmy wrote:
dogfound wrote:
blemmy wrote:
dogfound wrote:
blemmy wrote:

So at last we agree - VT is not the man to take this club forward - that' s what I've been saying all along!

As far as my being able to put £100m into the club is as unlikely as frogs growing feathers but if I did have the kind of money VT has and the kind of money we as a club will earn over this season and next; I would put the money in because I am a real City fan who wants to see his club up there with the best. As a very famous man once said: "Ambition is enthusiasm with a purpose"
:thumbup:

trouble is we don't lack enthusiasm, ambition or purpose we lack a money tree.
id like a trilionaire owner too, we havent got one, never had one and are unlikely to get one..

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:07 pm

It's not how much you spend, it's what you spend it on.

David Brooks 11.5m or Josh Murphy 10m?

Spent money on Bacuna who doesn't make us any better. Smithies, Cunningham, Madine there's another 10m if fees are to be believed.

Probably more money than NW has ever previously been given to spend.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:It's not how much you spend, it's what you spend it on.

Spent money on Bacuna who doesn't make us any better. Smithies, Cunningham, Madine there's another 10m if fees are to be believed.

I was calling to get Brooks last season .

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:08 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:It's not how much you spend, it's what you spend it on.

I'm pretty sure Warnock said we offered for Brooks before we got Murphy or at last hinted at it.

Mind I'm not sure Brooks would be having quite the same season if he played for us.

I generally agree our transfers this season have been a shambles.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Brookes definitely wouldn't have had the season he has had if he'd signed for us. But then I doubt Murphy would have the season Brookes has had if he'd gone to the football hotbed that is Bournemouth.

Its very doubtful that Bacuna and Cunningham would get anywhere near top end of the Championship let alone Premiership and I find their signings more than strange. And Madine.

We've spent beyond badly and really not made the best fist of survival. It's amazing that we are still in with a shout but that says more about others weaknesses than our own strengths.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:47 am

you do realise how miniscule these transfers are in the premier league grand scheme of things..?
EG.
Fred 52 mill and like a dozen apps..
Drinkwater 35 mill and a dozen apps in 2 seasons.
Gibson...15 mill and a burnley record signing 1 start.
Jakanbakhsh.. 17 mill .brightons record signing..4 starts
Diakhaby ...10 mill and 6 starts at Huddersfield..

the list goes on and on and if someone was to make a comprehensive flops list starting with the most expensive per minute played our manager wouldn't feature until page three hundred and eighty six..

and some of our fans go on and on and on about Warnock wasting money :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:04 am

dogfound wrote:

you do realise how miniscule these transfers are in the premier league grand scheme of things..?
EG.
Fred 52 mill and like a dozen apps..
Drinkwater 35 mill and a dozen apps in 2 seasons.
Gibson...15 mill and a burnley record signing 1 start.
Jakanbakhsh.. 17 mill .brightons record signing..4 starts
Diakhaby ...10 mill and 6 starts at Huddersfield..

the list goes on and on and if someone was to make a comprehensive flops list starting with the most expensive per minute played our manager wouldn't feature until page three hundred and eighty six..

and some of our fans go on and on and on about Warnock wasting money :lol: :lol: :lol:

We are dealing in different worlds.