Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Problem is high expectations and fickle fans not NW.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:02 pm

maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:It's football everyone has a different view on tactics, managers, players etc.

You'll hear pundits "experts in the game" disagreeing at times.

I'm sick of this "fickle" fan label being put on anyone with an opposing view.

If somebody thinks warnocks doing a bad job so be it that's their view it doesn't make them any more or any less of a fan.

Is it that bad to respect warnock for what he's done for us but at same time think he's tactically messed up in the last 3 games?

Fickle fans is more aimed at the ones who criticise at every opportunity rather than those who have criticised him recently which is deserved.

sorry but ...deserved ???????...are you kidding or what....

for exactly what..?

Breaking up the very successful centre back partnership that had done very well. Granted Pelts was injured but personally I think that any of our potential right backs at right back would have been better than breaking up the partnership that worked so well.

Reid and Ralls left out after three pretty decent performances.

No three at the back v Wolves after it has worked so well last two away games.

442 v Everton with Hoilett and NML in the team.

No Harry Arter. Our best midfielder.

yes when things go wrong its the easiest thing in the entire world to find fault.

pelts was injured so he reverted to the defence we have played more often than not this season. Reid was ill and Ralls and Arter are opinions i do not agree { some do others do not }
but we are up against man for man better teams week in week out , and our manager and coaches spend time analysiing teams and trying to come up with tactics and formations they think best suited..this notion that because we looked ok against team Ameans you just pick the same team and tactics against team b when your always the underdog and if you do not and then lose youve made a mistake just makes zero sense.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:16 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:It's football everyone has a different view on tactics, managers, players etc.

If somebody thinks warnocks doing a bad job so be it that's their view it doesn't make them any more or any less of a fan.

Is it that bad to respect warnock for what he's done for us but at same time think he's tactically messed up in the last 3 games?

Fickle fans is more aimed at the ones who criticise at every opportunity rather than those who have criticised him recently which is deserved.

for exactly what..?

Breaking up the very successful centre back partnership that had done very well. Granted Pelts was injured but personally I think that any of our potential right backs at right back would have been better than breaking up the partnership that worked so well.

yes when things go wrong its the easiest thing in the entire world to find fault.

pelts was injured so he reverted to the defence we have played more often than not this season. Reid was ill and Ralls and Arter are opinions i do not agree { some do others do not }
but we are up against man for man better teams week in week out , and our manager and coaches spend time analysiing teams and trying to come up with tactics and formations they think best suited..this notion that because we looked ok against team Ameans you just pick the same team and tactics against team b when your always the underdog and if you do not and then lose youve made a mistake just makes zero sense.

Oh definitely I put that hindsight is wonderful.

I saw some who said right away oh f**k Morrison is playing.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:11 pm

maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

for exactly what..?

lol, i hear that every game mate and its not just mozza, oh f gunner, oh fck ralls, oh fck pelts, oh fck hoilett.etc etc etc..normally top end beauties that think real football is you pick 11 without giving it real thought...unless you know the managers plans thoughts and rationalle { which none of us do } thats as dim as it gets mind..
youd swear he had picked a fan to play not the captain.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:15 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

for exactly what..?

lol, i hear that every game mate and its not just mozza, oh f gunner, oh fck ralls, oh fck pelts, oh fck hoilett.etc etc etc..normally top end beauties that think real football is you pick 11 without giving it real thought...unless you know the managers plans thoughts and rationalle { which none of us do } thats as dim as it gets mind..
youd swear he had picked a fan to play not the captain.

Definitely.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:26 pm

bluebird58 wrote:He may not achieve it, but Warnock is the only manager around who has any chance of working with this group of players and possibly getting them out of the relegation zone.

There is no point in bringing in anyone else at this stage.

Spot on. I understand people venting frustrations at tactics and team selections, but the suggestion that a new manager could come in at this stage of the season and do more than Warnock with this team and 9 games to go are complete and utter fantasy.

Too many fans think you can just throw money at a problem and it will go away, too many 'Football Manager' experts who think they know what it takes to build and manage a successful team. Whether we are relegated come the end of the season or not, Warnock is the only one I want standing at the side of the pitch.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:35 pm

We have way exceeded expectations but for me warnock has failed in his premiership bid to stay up again if we go down. I say that because he has had backing from our owner and the funds available he has just had 2 poor transfer windows and has failed in bringing in the quality we needed (sala aside obviously). How we didnt sign a striker and right back in the summer is madness really and big money wasted on murphy and reid imo.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:44 pm

RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:We have way exceeded expectations but for me warnock has failed in his premiership bid to stay up again if we go down. I say that because he has had backing from our owner and the funds available he has just had 2 poor transfer windows and has failed in bringing in the quality we needed (sala aside obviously). How we didnt sign a striker and right back in the summer is madness really and big money wasted on murphy and reid imo.

come of it mate. the second window was hugely effected by extra ordinary events . as for big money..is that a joke.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:13 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
maccydee wrote:When Warnock took over we were staring at the abyss. We had just had a couple of years of very mediocre performances and the crowds had dropped accordingly. We were left with about 14,000 die hards and were losing money hand over fist. We were down the bottom of the championship and our great Welsh hope Trollope hadn’t worked.

Then in came Warnock and started to transform the club. He brought in players who he trusted and in Bamba especially someone who could be his representative in the dressing room and on the pitch. This led to an immediate improvement in results and play off form until the end of the season where we easily finished safe. There was even talk of a play off push. He still hadn’t spent much if any money.

Those that knew football knew that NW would use the preseason time wisely and put more of a stamp on the club. Still the fickle fans complained. ‘He hasn’t had much money’ and ‘we are dealing in free transfers’ and complained at our less than excellent preseason including a loss to Shrewsbury. The most optimistic of fans thought play offs were a possibility.

But we started the season flying. Five wins put us top and two of the free transfers were firmly in the team and performing well. This naturally raised expectations and meant when the performances started to drop the fickle fans started to have something to bleat about. We were still in the top two at Christmas again above any expectations. Four losses over the Christmas period allowed the fickle ones to shout loud. One saying we could forget about the top two. Some even suggesting a change of manager.

In the following transfer window some shrewd signings were made but still some weren’t happy. We have missed out on a,b,c or we have overspent for Madine. Despite the fact his fee was heavily skewed by extras if we went up.

We then went up. Again this was against all expectations and truth be told was a year ahead of the most optimistic of predictions. The club was together like it hadn’t been in years. We were all pulling as one.

The summer transfer window was tough. We couldn’t attract the quality we wanted as a newly promoted club without significantly over paying. This would ruin all the good work that had been done to make us closer to debt free. Somehow this was Warnock’s fault and the fickle fans slated him. ‘Full of championship players was the criticism’ and ‘no striker.’ Almost like they were telling our manager something he didn’t know.

Widely predicted to finish 20th we started the season poorly, no goals and losses we looked like we were struggling to cope. ‘Warnock isn’t a premier league manager’ they said ‘he’s never done it at this level.’ Some pundits and fans just didn’t give him a chance. Lowest points total ever was said.

Then a win, and a couple more home wins and suddenly we were on a roll and expectations again were raised. The fickle fans went quiet for a bit. Moving into Christmas period and afterwards. Not a great transfer window and those reasons have been discussed over and over. Then a great performance (while losing) against Arsenal and then two wins. Suddenly we were looking up instead of down. Again the fickle fans were quiet. The team that was going to go down in last with the smallest points total to match their lowest budget were suddenly a win away from 13th. Wow. Expectations raised.

We all know what came next. Ten goals conceded and three losses.

But I hope I have shown that Warnock deserves our backing and our respect. The reason why our expectations are higher are because of him. He has turned it around before and can do again.

Decent level headed post, not wasting my time on it today. My gripe isn’t people’s opinion on if Warnock has made mistakes or is the right man. It’s about respect, for me you dig in and support Through the tough times and not just when we are winning.

Same attitude in life, but we are all different. Is it the modern day fan or is it just a minority anyway?! I don’t know but it’s Alien to me and it’s so fickle. Not forgetting the emotional tragedy Warnock has to deal with.

If you look at the quality of players we have the fact we are not cut adrift is testement to the work that has been done. Said it before will say it again, if the ship goes down I will be on it. #warnock

Spot on Stringfellow, we have defied many "cert" already, including Warnock to be first casualty, why can't we stay up :?: there are twists and turns to come,but I am with you on HMS CARDIFF CITY :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:35 pm

maccydee wrote:Problem is high expectations and fickle fans not NEIL WARNOCK.

When Warnock took over we were staring at the abyss. We had just had a couple of years of very mediocre performances and the crowds had dropped accordingly. We were left with about 14,000 die hards and were losing money hand over fist. We were down the bottom of the championship and our great Welsh hope Trollope hadn’t worked.

Then in came Warnock and started to transform the club. He brought in players who he trusted and in Bamba especially someone who could be his representative in the dressing room and on the pitch. This led to an immediate improvement in results and play off form until the end of the season where we easily finished safe. There was even talk of a play off push. He still hadn’t spent much if any money.

Those that knew football knew that NW would use the preseason time wisely and put more of a stamp on the club. Still the fickle fans complained. ‘He hasn’t had much money’ and ‘we are dealing in free transfers’ and complained at our less than excellent preseason including a loss to Shrewsbury. The most optimistic of fans thought play offs were a possibility.

But we started the season flying. Five wins put us top and two of the free transfers were firmly in the team and performing well. This naturally raised expectations and meant when the performances started to drop the fickle fans started to have something to bleat about. We were still in the top two at Christmas again above any expectations. Four losses over the Christmas period allowed the fickle ones to shout loud. One saying we could forget about the top two. Some even suggesting a change of manager.

In the following transfer window some shrewd signings were made but still some weren’t happy. We have missed out on a,b,c or we have overspent for Madine. Despite the fact his fee was heavily skewed by extras if we went up.

We then went up. Again this was against all expectations and truth be told was a year ahead of the most optimistic of predictions. The club was together like it hadn’t been in years. We were all pulling as one.

The summer transfer window was tough. We couldn’t attract the quality we wanted as a newly promoted club without significantly over paying. This would ruin all the good work that had been done to make us closer to debt free. Somehow this was Warnock’s fault and the fickle fans slated him. ‘Full of championship players was the criticism’ and ‘no striker.’ Almost like they were telling our manager something he didn’t know.

Widely predicted to finish 20th we started the season poorly, no goals and losses we looked like we were struggling to cope. ‘Warnock isn’t a premier league manager’ they said ‘he’s never done it at this level.’ Some pundits and fans just didn’t give him a chance. Lowest points total ever was said.

Then a win, and a couple more home wins and suddenly we were on a roll and expectations again were raised. The fickle fans went quiet for a bit. Moving into Christmas period and afterwards. Not a great transfer window and those reasons have been discussed over and over. Then a great performance (while losing) against Arsenal and then two wins. Suddenly we were looking up instead of down. Again the fickle fans were quiet. The team that was going to go down in last with the smallest points total to match their lowest budget were suddenly a win away from 13th. Wow. Expectations raised.

We all know what came next. Ten goals conceded and three losses.

But I hope I have shown that Warnock deserves our backing and our respect. The reason why our expectations are higher are because of him. He has turned it around before and can do again.

:thumbup: Stick together bluebirds don't let the bellends spoil our fight for to the finish :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 pm

dogfound wrote:
RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:We have way exceeded expectations but for me warnock has failed in his premiership bid to stay up again if we go down. I say that because he has had backing from our owner and the funds available he has just had 2 poor transfer windows and has failed in bringing in the quality we needed (sala aside obviously). How we didnt sign a striker and right back in the summer is madness really and big money wasted on murphy and reid imo.

come of it mate. the second window was hugely effected by extra ordinary events . as for big money..is that a joke.

Yes it was affected because of the sala tragedy obviously but neil didnt want to have a gun held to his head he said where as tan had to be told to not spend his money so we could have signed another striker afterwards. But i was pointing more to the summer window. No excuses can be made for not signing a striker and a right back in the summer. He made two good loan signings in arter and camarassa but you tell me of any money well spent of our 100 million for getting in the premiership then? Not a single penny really and that is truly shocking imo.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:18 pm

RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Yes it was affected because of the sala tragedy obviously but neil didnt want to have a gun held to his head he said where as tan had to be told to not spend his money so we could have signed another striker afterwards. But i was pointing more to the summer window. No excuses can be made for not signing a striker and a right back in the summer. He made two good loan signings in arter and camarassa but you tell me of any money well spent of our 100 million for getting in the premiership then? Not a single penny really and that is truly shocking imo.

not a penny ?
we lost 34 mill last season.
will have a repeat of last years wages in nxt years accounts plus promotion bonuses plus new improved contracts.
we spent 45/50 mill on transfers and that's without add ons like signing on fees ,agents fees and god knows what else..
so not a penny but 10s of millions of pounds..

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:25 am

dogfound wrote:
RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

not a penny ?
will have a repeat of last years wages in nxt years accounts plus promotion bonuses plus new improved contracts.
we spent 45/50 mill on transfers and that's without add ons like signing on fees ,agents fees and god knows what else..

Mate your missing my point. Im on about investment in transfer fees for our premier league campaign not agent fees or wages which every club got to pay. You tell me of a penny well spent on transfer fees for our premier league campaign out of the 100 million revenue we received?????

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:27 pm

RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:
RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

not a penny ?

Mate your missing my point. Im on about investment in transfer fees for our premier league campaign not agent fees or wages which every club got to pay. You tell me of a penny well spent on transfer fees for our premier league campaign out of the 100 million revenue we received?????

money is money and its a huge mistake to just look at transfer fees and not the add ons, they still come out of the pot.
the goal posts have moved somewhat by it now being well spent...I can only answer that by saying both Reid and Murphy have taken part in 23 of our 29 games. how effective they have been is opinion...and their current value, of course is dependent on other clubs wanting them or not..

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:15 am

Hopski wrote:I wish we had NW here instead of Slade after the last Prem fiasco. From my point of view I want no other manager. If we go down so be it but I count myself blessed that hopefully Neil will be at the helm whatever may come. Yes he made a few unexplainable signing given we were playing in the top flight but the transfer market is a murky cess pool of money grabbing agents and players and it's impossible for us to compete for top class players and not get ripped off.

Slade was brought in as a hatchet man,and considering what he had to do,getting rid of lots of players,he did great,absolutely dire football admitted, but we did ok in reality, couldn't see Warnock taking on that task,much too much of a players man imho,generally agree with all your post otherwise. :old: :bluebird: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:45 pm

Does anybody actually enjoy the premiership ride??? One beating after another! !!!

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:41 am

I've always said we would get an extra 10,000 to 20,000 new fans, ones that wouldn't go when we were at the bottom of the Championship but would start to go to games and sho an interest when we got near the top and won promotion.

Those fans don't really have the same understanding and will get frustrated quickly if we are not like Man City or Liverpool and don't buy the top Strikers and players, in simple terms a lot of fans now haven't really got a clue, just ignore the stupidest ones, that think they know more than Warnock!!!

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:59 am

Bluebina wrote:I've always said we would get an extra 10,000 to 20,000 new fans, ones that wouldn't go when we were at the bottom of the Championship but would start to go to games and sho an interest when we got near the top and won promotion.

Those fans don't really have the same understanding and will get frustrated quickly if we are not like Man City or Liverpool and don't buy the top Strikers and players, in simple terms a lot of fans now haven't really got a clue, just ignore the stupidest ones, that think they know more than Warnock!!!

And then you always have the odd negative facker that may know about the game, but is always pretty miserable and negative!