Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Problem is high expectations and fickle fans not NW.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:38 am

Problem is high expectations and fickle fans not NEIL WARNOCK.

When Warnock took over we were staring at the abyss. We had just had a couple of years of very mediocre performances and the crowds had dropped accordingly. We were left with about 14,000 die hards and were losing money hand over fist. We were down the bottom of the championship and our great Welsh hope Trollope hadn’t worked.

Then in came Warnock and started to transform the club. He brought in players who he trusted and in Bamba especially someone who could be his representative in the dressing room and on the pitch. This led to an immediate improvement in results and play off form until the end of the season where we easily finished safe. There was even talk of a play off push. He still hadn’t spent much if any money.

Those that knew football knew that NW would use the preseason time wisely and put more of a stamp on the club. Still the fickle fans complained. ‘He hasn’t had much money’ and ‘we are dealing in free transfers’ and complained at our less than excellent preseason including a loss to Shrewsbury. The most optimistic of fans thought play offs were a possibility.

But we started the season flying. Five wins put us top and two of the free transfers were firmly in the team and performing well. This naturally raised expectations and meant when the performances started to drop the fickle fans started to have something to bleat about. We were still in the top two at Christmas again above any expectations. Four losses over the Christmas period allowed the fickle ones to shout loud. One saying we could forget about the top two. Some even suggesting a change of manager.

In the following transfer window some shrewd signings were made but still some weren’t happy. We have missed out on a,b,c or we have overspent for Madine. Despite the fact his fee was heavily skewed by extras if we went up.

We then went up. Again this was against all expectations and truth be told was a year ahead of the most optimistic of predictions. The club was together like it hadn’t been in years. We were all pulling as one.

The summer transfer window was tough. We couldn’t attract the quality we wanted as a newly promoted club without significantly over paying. This would ruin all the good work that had been done to make us closer to debt free. Somehow this was Warnock’s fault and the fickle fans slated him. ‘Full of championship players was the criticism’ and ‘no striker.’ Almost like they were telling our manager something he didn’t know.

Widely predicted to finish 20th we started the season poorly, no goals and losses we looked like we were struggling to cope. ‘Warnock isn’t a premier league manager’ they said ‘he’s never done it at this level.’ Some pundits and fans just didn’t give him a chance. Lowest points total ever was said.

Then a win, and a couple more home wins and suddenly we were on a roll and expectations again were raised. The fickle fans went quiet for a bit. Moving into Christmas period and afterwards. Not a great transfer window and those reasons have been discussed over and over. Then a great performance (while losing) against Arsenal and then two wins. Suddenly we were looking up instead of down. Again the fickle fans were quiet. The team that was going to go down in last with the smallest points total to match their lowest budget were suddenly a win away from 13th. Wow. Expectations raised.

We all know what came next. Ten goals conceded and three losses.

But I hope I have shown that Warnock deserves our backing and our respect. The reason why our expectations are higher are because of him. He has turned it around before and can do again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Problem is high expectations and fickle fans not NW.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:04 am

Superb post and you're spot on. It only seems like yesterday that we couldn't afford a pot to piss in and used to leave one floodlight on until just before kick off to save on electric along with a wafer thin black and white programme, while the team were fighting to stay in the football league. Still can't believe that in 20 odd years we've come this far, we need to all get behind the team for the next 9 games and not criticise a manager who has given us one of the best seasons in living memory, we have never been so united in our support and now is not the time to be divided, we can still do this.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:05 am

Superb post and you're spot on. It only seems like yesterday that we couldn't afford a pot to piss in and used to leave one floodlight on until just before kick off to save on electric along with a wafer thin black and white programme, while the team were fighting to stay in the football league. Still can't believe that in 20 odd years we've come this far, we need to all get behind the team for the next 9 games and not criticise a manager who has given us one of the best seasons in living memory, we have never been so united in our support and now is not the time to be divided, we can still do this.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:06 am

banana bob wrote:Superb post and you're spot on. It only seems like yesterday that we couldn't afford a pot to piss in and used to leave one floodlight on until just before kick off to save on electric along with a wafer thin black and white programme, while the team were fighting to stay in the football league. Still can't believe that in 20 odd years we've come this far, we need to all get behind the team for the next 9 games and not criticise a manager who has given us one of the best seasons in living memory, we have never been so united in our support and now is not the time to be divided, we can still do this.

Cheers. Oh we have had some shocking times. Success used to be promotion to the bottom but one league, where we always struggled.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:08 am

It's football everyone has a different view on tactics, managers, players etc.

You'll hear pundits "experts in the game" disagreeing at times.

I'm sick of this "fickle" fan label being put on anyone with an opposing view.

If somebody thinks warnocks doing a bad job so be it that's their view it doesn't make them any more or any less of a fan.

Is it that bad to respect warnock for what he's done for us but at same time think he's tactically messed up in the last 3 games?

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:11 am

WelshPatriot wrote:It's football everyone has a different view on tactics, managers, players etc.

If somebody thinks warnocks doing a bad job so be it that's their view it doesn't make them any more or any less of a fan.

Is it that bad to respect warnock for what he's done for us but at same time think he's tactically messed up in the last 3 games?

Fickle fans is more aimed at the ones who criticise at every opportunity rather than those who have criticised him recently which is deserved.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:12 am

maccydee wrote:When Warnock took over we were staring at the abyss. We had just had a couple of years of very mediocre performances and the crowds had dropped accordingly. We were left with about 14,000 die hards and were losing money hand over fist. We were down the bottom of the championship and our great Welsh hope Trollope hadn’t worked.

Then in came Warnock and started to transform the club. He brought in players who he trusted and in Bamba especially someone who could be his representative in the dressing room and on the pitch. This led to an immediate improvement in results and play off form until the end of the season where we easily finished safe. There was even talk of a play off push. He still hadn’t spent much if any money.

Those that knew football knew that NW would use the preseason time wisely and put more of a stamp on the club. Still the fickle fans complained. ‘He hasn’t had much money’ and ‘we are dealing in free transfers’ and complained at our less than excellent preseason including a loss to Shrewsbury. The most optimistic of fans thought play offs were a possibility.

But we started the season flying. Five wins put us top and two of the free transfers were firmly in the team and performing well. This naturally raised expectations and meant when the performances started to drop the fickle fans started to have something to bleat about. We were still in the top two at Christmas again above any expectations. Four losses over the Christmas period allowed the fickle ones to shout loud. One saying we could forget about the top two. Some even suggesting a change of manager.

In the following transfer window some shrewd signings were made but still some weren’t happy. We have missed out on a,b,c or we have overspent for Madine. Despite the fact his fee was heavily skewed by extras if we went up.

We then went up. Again this was against all expectations and truth be told was a year ahead of the most optimistic of predictions. The club was together like it hadn’t been in years. We were all pulling as one.

The summer transfer window was tough. We couldn’t attract the quality we wanted as a newly promoted club without significantly over paying. This would ruin all the good work that had been done to make us closer to debt free. Somehow this was Warnock’s fault and the fickle fans slated him. ‘Full of championship players was the criticism’ and ‘no striker.’ Almost like they were telling our manager something he didn’t know.

Widely predicted to finish 20th we started the season poorly, no goals and losses we looked like we were struggling to cope. ‘Warnock isn’t a premier league manager’ they said ‘he’s never done it at this level.’ Some pundits and fans just didn’t give him a chance. Lowest points total ever was said.

Then a win, and a couple more home wins and suddenly we were on a roll and expectations again were raised. The fickle fans went quiet for a bit. Moving into Christmas period and afterwards. Not a great transfer window and those reasons have been discussed over and over. Then a great performance (while losing) against Arsenal and then two wins. Suddenly we were looking up instead of down. Again the fickle fans were quiet. The team that was going to go down in last with the smallest points total to match their lowest budget were suddenly a win away from 13th. Wow. Expectations raised.

We all know what came next. Ten goals conceded and three losses.

But I hope I have shown that Warnock deserves our backing and our respect. The reason why our expectations are higher are because of him. He has turned it around before and can do again.

Decent level headed post, not wasting my time on it today. My gripe isn’t people’s opinion on if Warnock has made mistakes or is the right man. It’s about respect, for me you dig in and support Through the tough times and not just when we are winning.

Same attitude in life, but we are all different. Is it the modern day fan or is it just a minority anyway?! I don’t know but it’s Alien to me and it’s so fickle. Not forgetting the emotional tragedy Warnock has to deal with.

If you look at the quality of players we have the fact we are not cut adrift is testement to the work that has been done. Said it before will say it again, if the ship goes down I will be on it. #warnock

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:18 am

Excellent post and very realistic about the way NW has turned the club around from bottom three of the championship to the premier league but also, bringing the club together as one. I would like to see Guardiola, Klopp, Pochettino etc, do any better with the players we’ve got, as I think we have a lot of good players but very few very good or outstanding players. I get as frustrated as any of our fans, with our results and the way we play but I’ll be there next week, supporting the team and when the letter comes about renewing my season ticket, I’ll renew it straight away.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:24 am

Agree we have a very fickle fan base.we also have a very fickle team.they've gone from busting a gut to total implosion.how fickle is that?.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:25 am

skiprat wrote:Agree we have a very fickle fan base.we also have a very fickle team.they've gone from busting a gut to total implosion.how fickle is that?.

That has confused me greatly.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:43 am

maccydee wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:It's football everyone has a different view on tactics, managers, players etc.

Fickle fans is more aimed at the ones who criticise at every opportunity rather than those who have criticised him recently which is deserved.

Excellent post, Maccydee, I would call the fickle fans, professional moaners :thumbup:

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:47 am

He may not achieve it, but Warnock is the only manager around who has any chance of working with this group of players and possibly getting them out of the relegation zone.

There is no point in bringing in anyone else at this stage.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:47 am

Igovernor wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Excellent post, Maccydee, I would call the fickle fans, professional moaners :thumbup:

Thanks pal.

At every point of a drop in standards they are all over it moaning.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:54 am

Very good, well balanced post by the op.

The last three games have been dissapointing But we were playing against very good teams, we csn still get out of this, obviously all games count, it's the Brighton, Burnley and Fulham games that are going to be the pivotal games IMO, if we can nick two wins out of those 3 to put us on, 31 points we then if we can get another 3 points out of the other 6 games and hope 34 points could be enough, that's not unachievable is it? Now is not the time for turning, the team and the manager need our support more than ever.

The critique can come after the 12th of May.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:56 am

Ok where’s Maccydee and what you done to him :?:

Very level headed and on topic post, agree with everything you’ve said on this post :thumbright:

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:00 pm

snoopystorm wrote:Ok where’s Maccydee and what you done to him :?:

Very level headed and on topic post, agree with everything you’ve said on this post :thumbright:

I’m always level headed and sensible.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:06 pm

In my opinion excellent post by Maccydee

Lets remember that by August 2018 Fulham had bought 9 players worth over £100m - and what has that achieved for them!

NW and the club have been sensible. Last year I tipped us to finish 10th (we got promoted). This season everyone tipped us for 20th position (We are in with a shout of staying up).

For once this club is doing things right.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Great post! Agree with everything. He’s had a bad few weeks but what he’s achieved since he came to us has been phenomenal! Even if we lose every game until the end of the season I still want Warnock to manage us next year. It gives us stability, allows him to keep improving the squad, and who better to get us back up!?

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:01 pm

If Warnock got his tactics spot on every game how many games would we win? With this squad?

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:03 pm

The reason I do not join in with all this nonsense about getting rid of Warnock, is that I had realistic expectations in the first place. I have thought from day one that 17th position was just about achievable if we were lucky. I also listen to what those running the club tell us. Tan has made it clear for some time what he is hoping to achieve while he is running the show, and Warnock has been realistic about our hopes all season. I can see there are fantasists on this forum who for some reason think we can mix things up with some of the more established PL sides, but most know that apart from a couple of loan signings, we are trying to avoid relegation with players who are better suited to Championship football. I still think 17th is as good as it can get for us, and even that is a tough ask.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:17 pm

BrightBlueFuture wrote:

If Warnock got his tactics spot on every game how many games would we win? With this squad?

Correct - the reason for our current predicament is not NW or the players - it is higher up in the hierarchy and their minimum investment in the team strategy.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:17 pm

BrightBlueFuture wrote:

Correct - the reason for our current predicament is not NW or the players - it is higher up in the hierarchy and their minimum investment in the team strategy.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:23 pm

I believe high expectations are fine, its our club and ask fans we want good times. but you have to measure your expectations with the reality of the situation. we are by far the smallest club in the premier league in terms of available finances. Bournemouth have a ground that belongs in league 2 but spend millions on players. we cant do that yet so had to take another approach. if tan had spent some more money we would probably have a few more points but it is what it is. we consolidated lots of debts and will more than likely make a big profit this season putting the club in a stronger position to move forward within its means

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:23 pm

I believe high expectations are fine, its our club and ask fans we want good times. but you have to measure your expectations with the reality of the situation. we are by far the smallest club in the premier league in terms of available finances. Bournemouth have a ground that belongs in league 2 but spend millions on players. we cant do that yet so had to take another approach. if tan had spent some more money we would probably have a few more points but it is what it is. we consolidated lots of debts and will more than likely make a big profit this season putting the club in a stronger position to move forward within its means

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:08 pm

rossblue wrote:I believe high expectations are fine, its our club and ask fans we want good times. but you have to measure your expectations with the reality of the situation. we are by far the smallest club in the premier league in terms of available finances. Bournemouth have a ground that belongs in league 2 but spend millions on players. we cant do that yet so had to take another approach. if tan had spent some more money we would probably have a few more points but it is what it is. we consolidated lots of debts and will more than likely make a big profit this season putting the club in a stronger position to move forward within its means

We were quoted against Burnley and their journey many times at the start of the season.

Ie Burnley were relegated with Sean Dyche in their first season but immediately bounced back and became a stronger side for it.

We have many very good players but if the worst happens and we are relegated we need to change our style to stand a chance of sustaining any improvement.

Central Midfield needs 2 new players , Defence 3 , RB and CH x 2 if Bruno leaves and a goalscoring forward 1

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:25 pm

I wish we had NW here instead of Slade after the last Prem fiasco. From my point of view I want no other manager. If we go down so be it but I count myself blessed that hopefully Neil will be at the helm whatever may come. Yes he made a few unexplainable signing given we were playing in the top flight but the transfer market is a murky cess pool of money grabbing agents and players and it's impossible for us to compete for top class players and not get ripped off.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:38 pm

maccydee wrote:

sorry but ...deserved ???????...are you kidding or what....

for exactly what..?

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:46 pm

its results against decent teams mate dont hide behind him messing up....or is every manager to blame for poor tactics everytime they lose.

did not see you or anyone else saying this after beating loads of teams last year with some pretty unauthox tactics and unexpected team selections.
i think most fans HOPED to do better, but realistically anyone who expected much better than we have done is living with the fairies. were the last 3 teams we played better than us.. spend lots more..expected to beat us..favourites with the bookies...4 yeses..

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:00 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

sorry but ...deserved ???????...are you kidding or what....

for exactly what..?

Breaking up the very successful centre back partnership that had done very well. Granted Pelts was injured but personally I think that any of our potential right backs at right back would have been better than breaking up the partnership that worked so well.

Reid and Ralls left out after three pretty decent performances.

No three at the back v Wolves after it has worked so well last two away games.

442 v Everton with Hoilett and NML in the team.

No Harry Arter. Our best midfielder.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:17 pm

A good, well thought out and balanced post.
Like most, I’m a big Warnock fan for what he’s done on and off the pitch here. The people on here who are calling for him to be sacked don’t seem to give any thought to who we could realistically bring in.
I think it’s ok to criticise him as he’s certainly made some strange selections lately, in my opinion, but I still think we have the best manager available (realistically) to keep us up at this time.