Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ New football law changes “

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:12 am

Goals scored or created with the use of an accidental handball will not stand from next season onwards, the International FA Board (Ifab) have confirmed.

In other changes approved by Ifab, substitutes will have to leave the pitch at the nearest goalline or touchline instead of walking to their technical area in a bid to stop time wasting.

Additional approved law changes included measures to deal with attacking players causing problems in the defensive wall, giving a dropped ball in certain situations when the ball hits the referee and the goalkeeper only being required to have one foot on the line at a penalty kick.

BBC

Monday 4th March 2019

Goals scored or created with the use of an accidental handball will not stand from next season onwards, the International FA Board (Ifab) have confirmed.

The changes mean that a free-kick will be awarded when a goal or clear chance occurs from a handball.

Ifab technical director David Elleray explained the changes at their AGM in Aberdeen.

"Deliberate handball remains an offence," Elleray stressed.

"In the past we've managed to improve the laws by focusing on outcome rather than intent.

"What we are looking at particularly in attacking situations is where the player gets a clear unfair advantage by gaining possession or control of the ball, as a result of it making contact with their hand or arm."

The changes mean gaining control or possession and then scoring as a consequence of handling the ball will not be allowed - neither will a goal scored directly from handling the ball, regardless of intent.

Another change to the laws of the game means that if the player's arms extend beyond a "natural silhouette", handball will be given, even if it is perceived as accidental.

Elleray says this is an effort to put an end to defenders placing their arms behind their backs in fear of giving away a free-kick.

"We've changed it to say the body has a certain silhouette," said Elleray. "If the arms are extended beyond that silhouette then the body is being made unnaturally bigger, with the purpose of it being a bigger barrier to the opponent or the ball.

"Players should be allowed to have their arms by their side because it's their natural silhouette."

In other changes approved by Ifab, substitutes will have to leave the pitch at the nearest goalline or touchline instead of walking to their technical area in a bid to stop time wasting.

Additional approved law changes included measures to deal with attacking players causing problems in the defensive wall, giving a dropped ball in certain situations when the ball hits the referee and the goalkeeper only being required to have one foot on the line at a penalty kick.

Re: “ New football law changes “

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:26 am

I'm confused as to what has actually changed , handball is handball. They are just over complicating the rule with stupid wording.

Players leaving the pitch at the nearest touchline will mean them having to walk all the way around the ground past opposing fans.
Why dont they just stop the clock whilst they walk off?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:08 am

thomasblue wrote:I'm confused as to what has actually changed , handball is handball. They are just over complicating the rule with stupid wording.

Players leaving the pitch at the nearest touchline will mean them having to walk all the way around the ground past opposing fans.

If your hand if by your side and someone blasts it at your hand from 3 yards away then it's not a handball. But now their saying if it goes in the goal or assists a goal then it is a handball? Confusing.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:35 am

For me hand ball is hand ball,makes life so much easier.
Totally agree with with the subs leaving at the quickest point,so annoying for football fans watching a player taking an age to leave the pitch while minutes earlier they were running like Usain Bolt.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:38 am

thomasblue wrote:I'm confused as to what has actually changed , handball is handball. They are just over complicating the rule with stupid wording.

Niasse did this Saturday , walked off outside then walked around to the dug out

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:00 am

dogfound wrote:

Imagine a city player having to walk around the liberty pitch

Or a Chelsea player walking all the way past millwall fans.

It a bit stupid

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:10 am

Why oh whg haven't they stopped goalies time wasting by putting ball opposite side to ball going out? As for handball basically its saying anytime happens in box its either pen or no goal var will have field day with it! 5 pens a game or more? :laughing6:

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:52 am

thomasblue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

It a bit stupid

im just saying it happened Saturday, unusual.
my view is it saves very little time , and the added time is very random anyway.3 mins added Saturday ,6 second half subs and Bennett went down { not sure what happened to him } and the game was stopped for at least 2 mins..

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:26 am

dogfound wrote:

He's ahead of his time, that boy! ;) :thumbright: :lol: :lol:

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 am

pembroke allan wrote:Why oh whg haven't they stopped goalies time wasting by putting ball opposite side to ball going out? As for handball basically its saying anytime happens in box its either pen or no goal var will have field day with it! 5 pens a game or more? :laughing6:

Yup, It'll just get stupid in the end.

People will be blasting balls all over the shop trying to get pens.
What if a defender in a wall is protecting his nuts and it hits that area, Pen? Bollocks if you ask me.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:31 am

dogfound wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

It a bit stupid

my view is it saves very little time , and the added time is very random anyway.3 mins added Saturday ,6 second half subs and Bennett went down { not sure what happened to him } and the game was stopped for at least 2 mins..

Isnt it supposed to be 30 seconds for every sub / goal and so on...

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:08 pm

"Another change to the laws of the game means that if the player's arms extend beyond a "natural silhouette", handball will be given, even if it is perceived as accidental."

Every time the Laws are changed it just confuses the issue.

What is a natural silhouette? Answers on a ...... please.

So if a player seeks to prevent himself from being hit in the head or the genitals, even though no advantage is sought, a free kick and/or penalty would be awarded. Crazy. Won't teams just seek to blast the ball from close range into these areas of the body from now?

It used to be far less confusing once upon a time : ie if a player deliberately sought to gain an advantage by handling a free kick/penalty would be awarded.

I can only see even more irate reactions. The established teams will be favoured and less fashionable not so by interpretation. Even more arguments will ensue.

StT.
<><

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:32 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

It a bit stupid

I thought so but was not the case Saturday.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:32 pm

dogfound wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

It a bit stupid

I thought so but was not the case Saturday.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:

He's ahead of his time, that boy! ;) :thumbright: :lol: :lol:

maybe he misunderstood a overheard convo about these proposed changes and thought he would play it safe , fair walk mind { half the perimeter } and failed to do the ayatolah { must have been in blank everything out mode in prep of walking past the North Bank }.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Why oh whg haven't they stopped goalies time wasting by putting ball opposite side to ball going out? As for handball basically its saying anytime happens in box its either pen or no goal var will have field day with it! 5 pens a game or more? :laughing6:

What if a defender in a wall is protecting his nuts and it hits that area, Pen? Bollocks if you ask me.

No that's ok as be inside his silhouette! But how far outside your body is outside? :lol:

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:55 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

No that's ok as be inside his silhouette! But how far outside your body is outside? :lol:

Its still bullshit though isn't it :laughing5: If you're running then you move your arms anyway... the decision makers have never played the game I would guess...

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:07 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Its still bullshit though isn't it :laughing5: If you're running then you move your arms anyway... the decision makers have never played the game I would guess...

played the game ? it sounds as if most of them are corpses..natural silhouette ? what the f**k is that.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:12 pm

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

played the game ? it sounds as if most of them are corpses..natural silhouette ? what the f**k is that.

Presume silhouette is with hands by side ? Ffs couldn't get handball right with Var at world cup how they going to get this right? :banghead:

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:42 pm

Also if goalie saves pen the ball is dead immediately and goal kick given! :o

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:23 pm

if I am reading this correct... a player attempts a pass but hits your CB on the hand which is within the silhouette and within the laws of the game. the ball lands in his path it opens up ,he runs with the ball .then sees a forward making a run so plays a 30 yrd ball into the path of that forward...…………., who is not allowed to score ????????????????

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:45 pm

dogfound wrote:if I am reading this correct... a player attempts a pass but hits your CB on the hand which is within the silhouette and within the laws of the game. the ball lands in his path it opens up ,he runs with the ball .then sees a forward making a run so plays a 30 yrd ball into the path of that forward...…………., who is not allowed to score ????????????????

Not quite right! its saying if ball hits a player on hand accidentally or otherwise and HE goes on to score it wont count, obviously var will pick out the handball if he passes to team mate who scores... and also if ball hits hand accidentally or otherwise and goes directly in goal that wont count either! What will be interesting is if ball hits players hand outside box he passes and its not spotted by ref goal is scored will Var disallow goal ? Handball outside penalty box is not in remit of var ?

Hope was clear in my explanation? :thumbup: