Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ The tough run in for Cardiff/Plus others “

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Cardiff City and Southampton's relegation run-in compared, the results they now need and the predicted final tally

It looks like it will come down to these two sides for the final relegation slot

By Mathew Davies

Monday 4th March 2019

How will Cardiff City and Southampton fare over the course of the relegation run-in.

It was another disappointing weekend for Cardiff City.

A 2-0 defeat at Wolves was compounded by the news that they could be without their talismanic captain for the rest of the relegation run-in.

The picture at the bottom of the Premier League is a tad bleak for the Bluebirds.

Three defeats on the spin, conceding 10 goals in the process, has knocked confidence.

Still, they are only two points from their nearest rivals Southampton. The Saints went down 3-2 at Old Trafford against Manchester United, but not without a spirited fight.

Burnley, Brighton, Crystal Palace and Newcastle are far from safe with nine games still to go, but Cardiff's main rival appears to be the Saints; it will be their second relegation scrap in two years after they pipped Swansea City to safety last term.

Will it catch up with them this season or will they once again condemn a South Wales team to the Championship?

Here we analyse the run-ins and predict their final points tallies.

Southampton: 27 points

March 9: Tottenham (h)

March 30: Brighton (a)

April 5: Liverpool (h)

April 13: Wolves (h)

April 20: Newcastle (a)

April 27: Bournemouth (h)

May 4: West Ham (a)

May 12: Huddersfield (h)

TBC: Watford (a)

Cardiff City: 25 points

March 9: West Ham (h)

March 16: Brighton (a)

March 31: Chelsea (h)

April 6: Man City (a)

April 13: Burnley (a)

April 21: Liverpool (h)

April 27: Fulham (a)

May 4: Crystal Palace (h)

May 12: Man Utd (a)

Analysis

On the face of it, you'd have to say Cardiff City have the harder run of fixtures. The Bluebirds face four of the so-called big hitters, with City and Liverpool going full throttle for the title, while Chelsea and Man Utd are battling it out for a place in next season's Champions League.

On the plus side, they also have to play teams in and around them in Brighton, Burnley, Fulham and Crystal Palace. Not only are they opportunities to register three points, they are also chances to deny rivals vital points.

Southampton have Spurs and Liverpool in the next month but face a number of mid-table sides with little to play for; Wolves, Bournemouth, West Ham and Watford.

Re: “ The tough run in for Cardiff/Plus others “

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:22 pm

Premier League Table
Link

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145418

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:23 pm

I say Brighton are in trouble as well.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:23 pm

We've been really poor the last three games if we continue like that we've no chance !!!

But if we play as we did in the two previous games we have a great chance !!!

The next two are massive, West Ham are a good side but Brighton are rubbish, if we can't beat them we've had it, and Brighton's game after us is Southampton, so they will have a say and aren't yet safe themselves !!

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:24 pm

All tough games and we really need to pick up the pace now but I don't agree its just us and Southampton. I still think Brighton, Burnley and Newcastle are still in this. We only have to look at out two wins on the bounce to see how quickly things change. Newcastle will probably have enough to push away but you never know when a team will go on run of good/bad results.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I say Brighton are in trouble as well.

Definitely and play us and Southampton and an FA cup quarter final this month so a massive month for them, hopefully they will be distracted !!!

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:28 pm

Every game for every team (involved in the relegation battle) will be tough for the remainder of this season and we simply need our own supporters to get behind or team...

Too many on here seem to have fallen in 'expectation mode' when we knew at the start of the season survival would be an exceptionally tough ask

Maybe that is down to Neil Warnock and his squad?

They have a certainly pulled a few rabbits out of the proverbial hat since that initial tough start and have driven supporter hopes to a level we mightn't have anticipated

Time for a bit of reality here and time to remember we have already put some pleasantly unexpected results together and can (on any given day) do it again

Neil Warnock talked about the 'Mini League' around us and that is still what we need to concentrate on...

West Ham United is an important game for us but our season won't be defined by this single result; still a lot of hard work ahead and we should all (Dahboy excepted) know by now that no Neil Warnock side will give up without a fight!

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:48 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I say Brighton are in trouble as well.

Definitely and play us and Southampton and an FA cup quarter final this month so a massive month for them, hopefully they will be distracted !!!

:thumbright: :bluebird:

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:33 pm

2blue2handle wrote:All tough games and we really need to pick up the pace now but I don't agree its just us and Southampton. I still think Brighton, Burnley and Newcastle are still in this. We only have to look at out two wins on the bounce to see how quickly things change. Newcastle will probably have enough to push away but you never know when a team will go on run of good/bad results.

Totally agree, Burnley's run in is a nightmare for them but wouldnt be surprised to see them pinch a result against one of the big boys

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 pm

2blue2handle wrote:All tough games and we really need to pick up the pace now but I don't agree its just us and Southampton. I still think Brighton, Burnley and Newcastle are still in this. We only have to look at out two wins on the bounce to see how quickly things change. Newcastle will probably have enough to push away but you never know when a team will go on run of good/bad results.

I agree..

last season with 9 games remaining Swansea were in 13th place with 30 points ,did not win another game.

on the other hand 2014/15 LEICESTER with 9 games left were bottom with 19 points then won 7 drew 1 lost 1.

funny old game

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City and Southampton's relegation run-in compared, the results they now need and the predicted final tally

It looks like it will come down to these two sides for the final relegation slot

By Mathew Davies

Monday 4th March 2019

How will Cardiff City and Southampton fare over the course of the relegation run-in.

It was another disappointing weekend for Cardiff City.

A 2-0 defeat at Wolves was compounded by the news that they could be without their talismanic captain for the rest of the relegation run-in.

The picture at the bottom of the Premier League is a tad bleak for the Bluebirds.

Three defeats on the spin, conceding 10 goals in the process, has knocked confidence.

Still, they are only two points from their nearest rivals Southampton. The Saints went down 3-2 at Old Trafford against Manchester United, but not without a spirited fight.

Burnley, Brighton, Crystal Palace and Newcastle are far from safe with nine games still to go, but Cardiff's main rival appears to be the Saints; it will be their second relegation scrap in two years after they pipped Swansea City to safety last term.

Will it catch up with them this season or will they once again condemn a South Wales team to the Championship?

Here we analyse the run-ins and predict their final points tallies.

Southampton: 27 points

March 9: Tottenham (h)

March 30: Brighton (a)

April 5: Liverpool (h)

April 13: Wolves (h)

April 20: Newcastle (a)

April 27: Bournemouth (h)

May 4: West Ham (a)

May 12: Huddersfield (h)

TBC: Watford (a)

Cardiff City: 25 points

March 9: West Ham (h)

March 16: Brighton (a)

March 31: Chelsea (h)

April 6: Man City (a)

April 13: Burnley (a)

April 21: Liverpool (h)

April 27: Fulham (a)

May 4: Crystal Palace (h)

May 12: Man Utd (a)

Analysis

On the face of it, you'd have to say Cardiff City have the harder run of fixtures. The Bluebirds face four of the so-called big hitters, with City and Liverpool going full throttle for the title, while Chelsea and Man Utd are battling it out for a place in next season's Champions League.

On the plus side, they also have to play teams in and around them in Brighton, Burnley, Fulham and Crystal Palace. Not only are they opportunities to register three points, they are also chances to deny rivals vital points.

Southampton have Spurs and Liverpool in the next month but face a number of mid-table sides with little to play for; Wolves, Bournemouth, West Ham and Watford.

Annis Southampton are better than us atm it's going to be very tough to stay up.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:41 pm

Someone said - Soton have to play mid placed teams who have nothing to lay for.... I beg to differ - for every place higher up the league a team finishes is worth 1 million pounds....I think teams will be very motivated by that

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:27 pm

dogfound wrote:

I agree..

last season with 9 games remaining Swansea were in 13th place with 30 points ,did not win another game.

on the other hand 2014/15 LEICESTER with 9 games left were bottom with 19 points then won 7 drew 1 lost 1.

funny old game

That was insane. Are we going the Swansea way but starting on 25 points in 16th?