Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WEST HAM - DO WE ATTACK OR DEFEND FOR OUR LIVES???

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:39 am

Do we play for a point and pack it tight defend for our lives, with this kind of team ?
Etheridge, Peltier, Manga, Morrison, Bennett
Patterson, Camerasa, Arter, Gunnerson, Hoilett
Niasse

Or do we attack, and consider bringing the wingers and forwards in??

After the defeats by Everton and Watford, with West Ham about the same level, I think we need to try and keep it tight, and I think that is what Warnock will do, our last attacking based team struggled especially the wingers.

What would you do, and what do you think Warnock will do ??

And what team would you pick?

Re: WEST HAM - DO WE ATTACK OR DEFEND FOR OUR LIVES???

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:50 am

Even if we defend with all we’ve got, I can’t see us keeping a clean sheet. Not totally our fault, I just think West Ham’s attack is so full of quality. Chicarito, Arnautovic, Carroll, Anderson, Snodgrass etc

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:53 am

Etheridge
Peltier manga morrison bennet

Patterson Camarasa Arter Reid

Niasse Zahore

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 pm

We need 5 in the middle and one up front

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 pm

I think we need a happy medium, I think people assume playing 2 strikers means we are more attacking but as against Wolves that's not the case. Id rather give the wingers a bit more freedom with 1 upfront myself.

Etheridge

Peltier
Manga
Morrison
Bennett

Gunnerson
Arter

Murphy
Reid
Camrasa

Niasse

At home for me Reid needs to be in that number 10 role, he gives so much energy and helps out the midfield while still offering a threat. It does mean push Camasara to more of a wide position but he can tuck in, help the midfield but also did well in wide areas earlier in the season. Its a little lobsided but it has worked previously.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:04 pm

Why the hell would we try to defend. We have done that so many times this year and got a total hiding!

Id rather go for it

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:32 pm

I know it seems a silly and maybe obvious answer, but realistically we have to score more than the opposition. I mean by that I don't see us stopping any of the sides we have left to play not scoring against us. We have to go for it. Goal difference is already out of the window. That ship has sailed. :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:33 pm

All two strikers does is leaves us short in midfield and means two players aren’t getting any service. Our best performances this season have been with Reid behind one guy up top. I hope we play that Saturday. Whether that means two or three centre backs I’m easy. I’d like Manga Morrison Cunningham and wing backs personally.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:45 am

Counter attack.
Flood midfield with 5. When we get the ball push into a 4231.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:03 am

Bluebina wrote:Do we play for a point and pack it tight defend for our lives, with this kind of team ?
Etheridge, Peltier, Manga, Morrison, Bennett
Patterson, Camerasa, Arter, Gunnerson, Hoilett
Niasse

Or do we attack, and consider bringing the wingers and forwards in??

After the defeats by Everton and Watford, with West Ham about the same level, I think we need to try and keep it tight, and I think that is what Warnock will do, our last attacking based team struggled especially the wingers.

What would you do, and what do you think Warnock will do ??

And what team would you pick?

Catch 22 question really, because we can't defend to save our lives, then again we can't score goals either. The main reason why we have been hammered at home by the top 6-8 teams is because we have given them far, far too much respect and defended way too deep from the kick off. If you notice all the other teams around us, (above us) they have all beaten a top 6 team this season and run a few very close, at home they have had a right go at them, this is what we have to do because shutting up shop hasn't worked so far has it.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:35 am

Playing one up with 5 in midfield doesn't necessarily mean that it's more defensive than having two up and four behind.

If we play with two holding in the centre of midfield (Gunnarsson and Arter for me) it should stop the opposition running straight at our centre backs but also release our wide midfield players and "number 10" to attack when we have the ball.

I think the manager has to be brave and make a decision to play either Zohore/Niasse/Ward and not try to squeeze Zohore and Niasse in because that just doesn't fit how we are set up.

We have to stop the West Ham midfield (Rice, Noble and Snodgrass) otherwise we will struggle to get hold of the ball.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:35 pm

Attack is the best form of defence, especially with our defence. We have to be in the game. I'd hate us to go down with a whimper.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:46 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Playing one up with 5 in midfield doesn't necessarily mean that it's more defensive than having two up and four behind.

If we play with two holding in the centre of midfield (Gunnarsson and Arter for me) it should stop the opposition running straight at our centre backs but also release our wide midfield players and "number 10" to attack when we have the ball.

I think the manager has to be brave and make a decision to play either Zohore/Niasse/Ward and not try to squeeze Zohore and Niasse in because that just doesn't fit how we are set up.

We have to stop the West Ham midfield (Rice, Noble and Snodgrass) otherwise we will struggle to get hold of the ball.

Totally agree, just because two strikers are playing it doesn't mean we are attacking more.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:10 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:Why the hell would we try to defend. We have done that so many times this year and got a total hiding!

Id rather go for it

THIS. We are at home and playing one of our 9 Cup Finals. Have to go for it, need 3 points. :bluescarf:

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:19 pm

We gave arsenal a good game at home early in the season because we went for it plain and simple, although we went down 3 2 my arsenal mate said we gave them a game they did not expect from us, and personally i thought it was the best game i have watched at home this season so i say go for it we just got to score more goals than them.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:33 pm

Etheridge
pelts
manga
Morrison
Bennett

Arter Gunnar

Reid Cama Niasse

Ward

Give that a go.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:58 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Playing one up with 5 in midfield doesn't necessarily mean that it's more defensive than having two up and four behind.

I am pretty much in agreement, I would try and make us solid and have five in midfield, I would probably go with this
Etheridge
Peltier Manga Morrison Bennett
Arter Gunner
Patterson Camerasa Hoilett
Niasse

I like Bobby Reid in behind Niasse, but can't fit him in.

It will be really interesting to see what Warnock does, but I think he will try and be solid and stick some battlers in!!!

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:35 am

Without scoring any goals we cant win matches and we desperately need as many points as we can possibly get. Goals win games so lets try and score more than our opponents !!

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Bluebina wrote:

I am pretty much in agreement, I would try and make us solid and have five in midfield, I would probably go with this
Etheridge
Arter Gunner
Niasse

It will be really interesting to see what Warnock does, but I think he will try and be solid and stick some battlers in!!!

Murphy for Paterson and you were spot on

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:13 am

maccydee wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Etheridge
Arter Gunner
Niasse

Fair play, Murphy was brilliant as well wasn't he, didn't see that one coming as Warnock mentioned him in the press conference didn't he, I wouldn't want to change that team much at all, we did look solid and hard to beat, and the midfield were brilliant breaking up play and pinching the ball back!!!

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:49 am

Bluebina wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Etheridge
Arter Gunner
Niasse

Fair play, Murphy was brilliant as well wasn't he, didn't see that one coming as Warnock mentioned him in the press conference didn't he, I wouldn't want to change that team much at all, we did look solid and hard to beat, and the midfield were brilliant breaking up play and pinching the ball back!!!

Agreed. It's the first time in recent weeks when I saw the selection I wouldn't have changed a thing.

We are now into the home run and therefore continuity will be key. Even if we lose against Chelsea and Man City we need to stick with it as that team has a real chance of beating Brighton, Fulham, Burnley and Palace which would be more than enough.

In my opinion that was our best eleven that started and now is the time for the big players to step up.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:20 pm

More of the same as the West Ham game,a shining example was Harry Arter, any influence on other players then all the players should all give 100% like Harry Arter did against West Ham, he was amazing.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:39 pm

Clubfortyfourer wrote:More of the same as the West Ham game,a shining example was Harry Arter, any influence on other players then all the players should all give 100% like Harry Arter did against West Ham, he was amazing.

He was brilliant, they all were, it was hard to pick out a man of the match, they all gave their all :thumbup: