Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

So. Do we want to stay up?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:28 pm

SO. Do we want to stay up?

Although it looks almost impossible, there are still 9 games left where we can possibly ensure our Premier League survival. But then what? Do we find ourselves in the same position as Huddersfield have been this season? Hopelessly outclassed and badly lacking in quality players? Or would we be better off returning to the Championship to regroup and get ourselves back up again, perhaps having learned a few lessons. After all, a number of teams - Watford and Crystal Palace notably - spent a number of years bouncing between the Premier League and the Championship before establishing themselves. West Brom, too, were a yo-yo team who stabilised for a while before their relegation last season.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is to hope for Premier League survival. But (gasp!) we will need a new manager and substantial team investment if we are not to become another Huddersfield.

My blog.

https://premierleaguebluebird.blogspot. ... times.html

Re: So. Do we want to stay up?

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:35 pm

stay up and happy with NW either way.

the foundations were his and the squad is improving which it will continue to should we stay up and he remain. I fear a change of manager with such limited quality could be a disaster.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:28 pm

Almost impossible :lol:
We could be out the bottom 3 come Saturday evening.

And of course I want us to stay up. All this talk of going down and being stronger for it when we bounce back is nonsense imo.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:39 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Almost impossible :lol:

And of course I want us to stay up. All this talk of going down and being stronger for it when we bounce back is nonsense imo.

I agree with this idea that its a given we will be stronger next season is nonsense.
how many relegated teams have thought that only to fail dismally.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:43 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Almost impossible :lol:

I agree with this idea that its a given we will be stronger next season is nonsense.
how many relegated teams have thought that only to fail dismally.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:45 pm

Of course we want to stay up, what a ridiculous question, this team will not bounce straight back up next season.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:29 pm

rhondda 1015 wrote:Of course we want to stay up, what a ridiculous question, this team will not bounce straight back up next season.

Agree.

We got lucky last time as it wasn’t the strongest Championship. This season is much stronger.

Anyone who doesn’t want to stay up isn’t really a fan?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:10 pm

YES :bluebird:

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am

We the fans do.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:50 am

But of a no brainier that one lol

Can’t see us bouncing straight back if we do go down as we will lose the boss man

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:03 am

dogfound wrote:stay up and happy with NW either way.

the foundations were his and the squad is improving which it will continue to should we stay up and he remain. I fear a change of manager with such limited quality could be a disaster.

I agree he would be impossible to follow and if he left it would almost definitely cause a slump IMO.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:57 am

In the unlikely event that we manage to stay up, we will clearly have to spend big. If we go down the future looks bleak to me.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Its a bit late in the day to ask that question, I think. Rather we should ask the question: Does a club that spends £28m on transfer fees for Championship players in the summer want to stay up?

StT.
<><

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:00 pm

I actually know people who don't mind if we get relegated. On the basis derbies with Jacks & Wurzels plus all Midlands/London clubs. More competitive given our squads abilities also with Murphy/Reid/NML and solid spine realistic chance to do well again. I personally would love us to stay up but relegation needn't be the disaster some are predicting. I suppose it depends if you are a 'glass half full' person. However we are still in the thick of things so for now let's focus our support/energy on staying up.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:24 pm

Any type of sport is about reaching the highest level as you possibly can,and for football the premier league is the place where you want to be,but the question I ask is,has this season been enjoyable?for me it’s been very disappointing,I don’t want to see cardiff being turned over week after week,I don’t expect to win every game either but at least,we d be competitive in the championship,in the premier we turn up expecting to lose,question is by how many,in the championship it’s much more equal,most teams can beat each other

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:17 am

bluebird58 wrote:SO. Do we want to stay up?

Although it looks almost impossible, there are still 9 games left where we can possibly ensure our Premier League survival. But then what? Do we find ourselves in the same position as Huddersfield have been this season? Hopelessly outclassed and badly lacking in quality players? Or would we be better off returning to the Championship to regroup and get ourselves back up again, perhaps having learned a few lessons. After all, a number of teams - Watford and Crystal Palace notably - spent a number of years bouncing between the Premier League and the Championship before establishing themselves. West Brom, too, were a yo-yo team who stabilised for a while before their relegation last season.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is to hope for Premier League survival. But (gasp!) we will need a new manager and substantial team investment if we are not to become another Huddersfield.

My blog.

https://premierleaguebluebird.blogspot. ... times.html

You dont need to say 'so' - just ask the question 'Do we want to stay up'? - there is a horrible trend now,especially on TV,where anybody being asked a question automatically respond 'So' .....
- drives me round the bend!

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:14 am

I remember having this argument/debate in pre season about the 'bounce straight back up' thing.

The number of teams that have done it is incredibly low.

You only have to look at last year's relegated sides, 2 in the bottom half and Stoke spent a small fortune whilst keeping the likes of Allen, Shawcross, Butland among others.

The year before Hull, Boro and Sunderland who finished Sunderland bottom, Hull 18th and look at Villa, arguably one of the biggest Clubs in the country.

Do we want to stay up? Absolutely. You have to take you're opportunities when they present themselves. I won't knock the Club for being prudent but IMO if we do go down then it will have bee a huge opportunity missed to grow the Club to the next level.