Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Champions League - Real Madrid out / Man Utd through “

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:54 pm

Real Madrid have crashed out of the Champions League after a 4-1 home defeat to Ajax. The holders had won 2-1 in their away leg in Holland but exit the competition after a terrible night in Madrid.

Elsewhere, the other team on Tuesday to reach the quarter finals were Tottenham Hotspur as they won 1-0 at Borussia Dortmund. Spurs has won the first leg 3-0.

Manchester United are in the Champions League quarter finals.

They have won 3-1 at PSG, going through on away goals - after losing the first leg 2-0.

Porto have beat Roma 2-1, with that match going to extra time because Roma won the first leg 2-1. Porto went through after scoring a late penalty in extra time.

More second legs next week.

TEAMS IN THE QUARTER FINALS

AJAX

FC PORTO

MANCHESTER UNITED

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Re: “ Champions League update “

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Shows how much Real Madrid relied on Ronaldo

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:02 pm

snoopystorm wrote:Shows how much Real Madrid relied on Ronaldo

Unreplaceable - if that’s even a word.

The crock that is Gareth Bale hobbling about like a cripple again!

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:33 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Unreplaceable is not a word but irreplaceable is

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:22 am

Madrid fans weren’t surprised when Ronaldo and Zidane got out. They all said the Champions League win papered over the cracks.

The fact that they didn’t replace Ronaldo didn’t help - surely they’ll break the bank to sign Hazard in the summer.

Real Madrid and Manchester United are the two biggest clubs in the world, but neither have been the best in their country for a long time.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:46 am

Hong Kong Blue Birds wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Unreplaceable is not a word but irreplaceable is

:lol:
:thumbup:

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:10 pm

Porto and PSG favourites to go through tonight.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:14 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:

Madrid fans weren’t surprised when Ronaldo and Zidane got out. They all said the Champions League win papered over the cracks.

The fact that they didn’t replace Ronaldo didn’t help - surely they’ll break the bank to sign Hazard in the summer.

Real Madrid and Manchester United are the two biggest clubs in the world, but neither have been the best in their country for a long time.

The irony is, signing Hazard would paper over the cracks even more. He's a brilliant player but he's nowhere near Ronaldo or Messi nor is he Mbappe or Neymar.

It'll be interesting to see how long PSG can hold their squad together as they could dominate Europe for years with their attack.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:58 pm

Ajax actually have a very very good young team at the moment so it’s not all down to Real Madrid being shit.

Some of those Ajax players will go for big money in the next few years.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:00 pm

Manchester United are in the Champions League quarter finals.

They have won 3-1 at PSG, going through on away goals - after losing the first leg 2-0.

Porto have beat Roma 2-1, with that match going to extra time because Roma won the first leg 2-1.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:13 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:

Madrid fans are a different breed of idiot

Re: “ Champions League - Real Madrid out / Man Utd through “

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:27 pm

When is handball not handball ? Player turns his back hits his arm var says pen without anyone appealing? :o like saud new rules will mean possibly 4/5 pens a game through handball.. . :lol:

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:38 pm

Porto scored a late penalty in extra time to progress.

They join Ajax, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur in the quarter finals.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:39 pm

The player who shot did appeal, but I think it was only him. It did hit his arm. But this is a classic example of how the new rules are going to go. The player didn't intentionally make himself bigger to block the ball. He jumped and it hit his arm.

As long as there's consistency with these decisions I won't have an issue. However, there won't be...

Here's a replay. And a picture.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x73mwgd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:The player who shot did appeal, but I think it was only him. It did hit his arm. But this is a classic example of how the new rules are going to go. The player didn't intentionally make himself bigger to block the ball. He jumped and it hit his arm.

As long as there's consistency with these decisions I won't have an issue. However, there won't be...

He appealed as you would expect when ball hits an arm? But not in hope of getting decision as its blatantly obvious it was unintentional! And yes new rule will mean a pen will be given because if this is a pen so will 99.9999% of handballs in pen area. Consistency will mean like i said 4/5 pens a game ..... :mrgreen:

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:25 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:The player who shot did appeal, but I think it was only him. It did hit his arm. But this is a classic example of how the new rules are going to go. The player didn't intentionally make himself bigger to block the ball. He jumped and it hit his arm.

I initially though Dalot was appealing for the corner but you’re probably right. Certainly didn’t see any other appeals.

I initially though no penalty. However, as he jumps Kimpembe moves his whole body out of the way while leaving his arm out. I don’t think it’s a natural position for the arm to be - he knew what he was doing. It’s a debatable one, but I think it’s a penalty and can see why it was given.

Would also add that the VAR referee in the VAR room suggested the referee have a look at it, 99% of the time that means the decision should be given. So that’s two UEFA standard referees who believe a penalty should be given.

Agree that there needs to be a consistency. But I still say to anyone who is against VAR, that they need to accept it. Will they get every decision right with it next season? Probably not. But there will be more correct decisions than there are now.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:35 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

He appealed as you would expect when ball hits an arm? But not in hope of getting decision as its blatantly obvious it was unintentional! And yes new rule will mean a pen will be given because if this is a pen so will 99.9999% of handballs in pen area. Consistency will mean like i said 4/5 pens a game ..... :mrgreen:

Think you are missing a bit with that picture.. When watching the re run, his eyes is on the ball before he turnes, and that is clearly a penalty. Would never happen without WAR though.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:08 am

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Think you are missing a bit with that picture.. When watching the re run, his eyes is on the ball before he turnes, and that is clearly a penalty. Would never happen without WAR though.

Yes hes looking at ball after it hits his arm not before it does? The point is he was looking away when ball was kicked . :old:

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:16 am

pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Is he actually looking at ball? Im not sure he is and if he is he could not possibly be looking at ball when it was kicked So is that a pen? . :old:

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:43 am

pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yes hes looking at ball after it hits his arm not before it does? The point is he was looking away when ball was kicked . :old:

He wasn't, if you se the replay. He was looking at both the ball and the path of the ball when it was kicked. He was turned around when it hit though. By the rules, penalty. Without WAR? Not in a million years.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:29 am

pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

He wasn't, if you se the replay. He was looking at both the ball and the path of the ball when it was kicked. He was turned around when it hit though. By the rules, penalty. Without WAR? Not in a million years.

Havent seen replay but only the picture here! Ok so he was looking at ball when it was kicked he jumped turned his back (natural thing is to raise arms) although they are only waist high he then looks at ball as it hits is arm? Although picture appears to show him looking down rather that at ball so not sure you are able to do both things ar once? So why did ref not give pen when it was in full view of him he played on until var officials flagged it up! So Yes no var no pen so Var basically made the decision not ref? Yes can see why given after var but then next season rules on handball as changed so would expect most if not all handball in area to be given as a pen should be hilarious considering there are numerous appeals in a game...

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:36 am

There's going to be some long games next season with the VAR in place.

And yes I think we will be still in premiership.to see it :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:44 pm

JulesK wrote:There's going to be some long games next season with the VAR in place.

And yes I think we will be still in premiership.to see it :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

They're suppose to add time on for var but yet to see appropriate time added for it. :o

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:17 pm

Just saw a clear picture on ssn he clearly is not looking at ball the ball hits his lower arm which is marginally outside his silhouette so no way in million years is it deliberate! But var says it was an error by ref so ref changed his mind like said going to be 4/5 pens a game but hey ho someone will benefit someone will lose out probably smaller clubs? :occasion5:

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:49 pm

Uefa has backed the video assistant referee system's decision to award Manchester United an injury-time penalty that knocked Paris St-Germain out of the Champions League.

Diogo Dalot's shot hit Presnel Kimpembe's arm but was only deemed a spot-kick after the VAR intervention.

Injured PSG forward Neymar called the decision a "disgrace".

But Uefa said the distance the ball covered was "not short" and Kimpembe's arm was "not close" to his body.

Based on this, it added that "the impact could therefore not be unexpected" and "the defender's body [was made] bigger thus resulting in the ball being stopped from travelling in the direction of the goal.

"The referee, therefore, awarded a penalty kick.

"Given that the referee did not recognise the incident clearly during live play [referred to as serious missed incident in the VAR protocol] an on-field review was conducted."

After a lengthy delay where Slovenian referee Damir Skomina conducted the review on a pitch-side monitor, Marcus Rashford scored the penalty to earn United a 3-1 win on the night and send them through on away goals.

It was the 21-year-old's first competitive spot-kick for his club and ensured that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team became the first in Champions League history to overturn a 2-0 deficit from the home leg in a knockout tie.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:29 pm

The interesting part is about his arms being outside silhouette if thats case players cannot jump to head ball without giving away pen if hits arm? as it's physically impossible to jump without using arms and the silhouette is new rule on handball next season! Other thing noticed they used several different angles at slow motion to arrive at decision hardly the obvious error var was suppose to be used for? Looking forward to watching games with lots of pens in them. :occasion5: