Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A GOLDEN OLDIE.......PETER KING......

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNN_-DoRsQ

Get in! :bluebird: :bluebird:

Re: A GOLDEN OLDIE.......PETER KING......

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:24 pm

I was right behind the net that day. One of the best goals I have ever seen at Ninian Park, and is probably the goal that I remember more than any other along with Clarke's Real Madrid goal.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I was right behind the net that day. One of the best goals I have ever seen at Ninian Park, and is probably the goal that I remember more than any other along with Clarke's Real Madrid goal.

Spot on. I was in the boys enclosure and I seem to recall the keeper turning round to us after and just shrugging his shoulders as if to say "How did he do that?" See a lot of great goals these days but the ball was a lot heavier then so you really had to catch it right to get power.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Was also behind the Boys' Enclosure in the Grange End. Best ever City goal I've seen. And Bobby Woodruff's goal was excellent, too.

StT.
<><

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Aahhh Peter King .... loved him!

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:27 pm

They were great days watching City play i was in my teens then,still watching them now over 50 years later.

Time flies by i will be 65 this month,hope we can get 3 points against West Ham on Saturday.

Then on Monday i am off on a cruise to see the Northern Lights to celebrate my 65th with the wife. :bluescarf:
:bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:58 pm

bluebirdrob wrote:They were great days watching City play i was in my teens then,still watching them now over 50 years later.

Time flies by i will be 65 this month,hope we can get 3 points against West Ham on Saturday.

Then on Monday i am off on a cruise to see the Northern Lights to celebrate my 65th with the wife. :bluescarf:

Have to say that although we didn’t quite reach the 1st division it still remains my happiest times watching the City and Peter King remains a hero along with the rest of the lads from that side,wonderful memories,keep them coming :old:

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 pm

City in Cwmbran wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNN_-DoRsQ

As a very young bluebird at the time, I used to live in Rhoose around the corner from where Peter and his family lived, Used to knock on his door along with many school kids for autographs. Always given with a smile.

To this day my mother has said (as she new Peters's wife), that he, and they accepted us doing that... but how many of todays foot ball players would.

Fantastic player and family.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:54 pm

I remember that one I was in the Grange end. I used to love the floodlit European nights also anyone remember the day bobby brown broke his leg it was against villa I think it was les leas first game we won 3-0 lea got two and we finished the game with nine men.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:55 pm

since64 wrote:
bluebirdrob wrote:They were great days watching City play i was in my teens then,still watching them now over 50 years later.

Have to say that although we didn’t quite reach the 1st division it still remains my happiest times watching the City and Peter King remains a hero along with the rest of the lads from that side,wonderful memories,keep them coming :old:

Agree with this, Band Of Gold blasting from Radio Ninian, hardly a blade of grass on the pitch and great songs from the old grange. So many memories as a kid and still remains my favourite team and era.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:55 pm

since64 wrote:

Agree with this, Band Of Gold blasting from Radio Ninian, hardly a blade of grass on the pitch and great songs from the old grange. So many memories as a kid and still remains my favourite team and era.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Bless them all
Bless them all
The long the short and the tall
There is Freddie Davies
There is Peter king
But toshack is king of them all
Anyone remember singing this in the 70s

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:18 pm

The best days of my life was watching that team ! Fabulous ! I used to stand at the back of the Grange End and nearly every week find myself standing near the front due to the swaying and pushing [ force of the crowd used to carry me down } !! Ah the good old days !! :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:21 pm

Sorry Bowler but i remember the last four lines were, Bless Freddie Davies and Bless Peter King, Bless Barry Jones as he streaks down the wing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:51 am

bowler2177 wrote:Bless them all
Bless them all
There is Freddie Davies
There is Peter king

I remember the last three lines being
Bless Freddie Davies
and bless Peter King
bless Barrie Jones as he streaks down the wing

Then it finished with "we'll never be mastered by no English b*stard, so come on you blues bless 'em all.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 am

banana bob wrote:
since64 wrote:

When I started supporting City, I only remember 3 songs that seemed to be the only ones they had.
On a carousel by the Hollies
Ha ha said the clown by Manfred Mann
Conversations by Cilla Black
As you said, great days.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:59 am

Bless them all
There is Freddie Davies
There is Peter king

:shock:
Not to those words!

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:01 am

Don Keydick wrote:
Bless them all
There is Freddie Davies
There is Peter king

I remember the last three lines being
Bless Freddie Davies
and bless Peter King
bless Barrie Jones as he streaks down the wing

Then it finished with "we'll never be mastered by no English b*stard, so come on you blues bless 'em all.

Your memory is correct :)

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:07 am

......and Golden Goal tickets. And Radio Ninian. And nutters scambling about on the Grange End roof. And Rhymney Beer. And Bovril.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:15 am

Peter King is a gent, lives in Spain now but him and his wife often come back to Cardiff and stays with my mate Tommy.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:52 am

A great servant of the club. Many good players came and went while he was with us but my own favourites were Ivor Allchurch, Ian Gibson, Brian Harris, Don Murray and believe it or not Bobby "the rock" Ferguson.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:29 am

Exiled in Leeds wrote:
City in Cwmbran wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNN_-DoRsQ

As a very young bluebird at the time, I used to live in Rhoose around the corner from where Peter and his family lived, Used to knock on his door along with many school kids for autographs. Always given with a smile.

To this day my mother has said (as she new Peters's wife), that he, and they accepted us doing that... but how many of todays foot ball players would.

Fantastic player and family.

Made me smile to read this,thing is my old man would allow me and my brother to catch the players after the game to get autographs while he waited for the cars to leave the car park opposite NP,anyway even after all these years one of the most difficult players to get to sign was Peter,after all these years I’ve finally found the reason,he spent all his time at home given autographs to you and your mates :lol:

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:49 pm

3rd march 1968 was the first game my old man took me as a nipper to watch the City play Bristol City and sat me on the fence of the boys enclosure on the old grange. I can remember being petrified after hearing the chant " For there won't be many going home", that big dark stand seemed intimidating for a young kid at the time. Totally hooked after that first game though and we never missed a game but the old man was never the same about City after they sold Toshack, I think he thought the board had let the fans down and lacked ambition.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:49 pm

3rd march 1968 was the first game my old man took me as a nipper to watch the City play Bristol City and sat me on the fence of the boys enclosure on the old grange. I can remember being petrified after hearing the chant " For there won't be many going home", that big dark stand seemed intimidating for a young kid at the time. Totally hooked after that first game though and we never missed a game but the old man was never the same about City after they sold Toshack, I think he thought the board had let the fans down and lacked ambition.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:08 pm

I remember that one I was in the Grange end. I used to love the floodlit European nights also anyone remember the day bobby brown broke his leg it was against villa I think it was les leas first game we won 3-0 lea got two and we finished the game with nine men.

Yes I remember Bobby Brown injury was one of my first matches, think it was a boxing day not a broken leg but a bad knee injury.
Just looked on wikipedia yes cruciate never played again, boxing day 1967. Funny can remember that and forget what happened yesterday.
Peter scored some cracking goals along with Ronnie Bird.