Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff City's future '

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:37 pm

Are these the three Cardiff youngsters that could finally make it after nearly nine years of nothing coming through the Cardiff City Academy ?

A report on the three Cardiff under 21 players who stood out this week in the defeat v Swansea City's youngsters in the Welsh Cup Semi-Final

CARDIFF CITY'S FUTURE :bluebird: :bluebird:

Dan Griffiths

Having come into this game with an incredible tally of 23 goals in 20 games in all competitions, the former Liverpool striker looked the most likely source of joy for Cardiff on a night where they otherwise struggled to break down their opponents.

There were several intriguing battles with Cabango that the 18-year-old will undoubtedly learn from, but he showed flashes of brilliance all evening, holding up the ball well and coming close midway through the first half with an eye-catching overhead kick.

He will have perhaps been a little frustrated on an evening where Cardiff struggled to really assert themselves, but his positioning and reading of the game nevertheless looked promising.

Dan Martin

A left-back by trade, the 19-year old was deployed on the wing on Wednesday evening and put in a very encouraging performance.

Martin, a key figure in Jarred Harvey's under-23s side following a successful trial at the beginning of the season, looked a threat on the left side midfield before being replaced after the break, putting in several inviting balls into the box that probably should have been turned into concrete chances by his peers.

Joel Bagan

Linked up reasonably well with Martin Down the left, but was also ever-present all over the Cardiff back four.

Bagan, who joined the Buebirds from Southampton in the summer of 2018, is capable of playing a variety of positions and his versatility has helped him become a regular at under-18 level, having made 22 appearances.

His highlight here was a superb clearance off the line to deny Swansea's Ollie Cooper, displaying great awareness and vision to cover his goalkeeper before the Swans striker was able to get an audacious lob away.

Re: ' Cardiff City's future '

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:40 pm

DAN GRIFFITHS STRIKER:

DATE OF BIRTH
16/01/2001

SIGNED
01/07/2018

COUNTRY
Wales

Daniel joined Cardiff City in the summer of 2018 from Liverpool.

He is a Welsh youth international forward - who impressed during a trial at CCS. Griffiths opened the 2018/19 campaign with two goals on his debut for the U18 side in a 5-0 victory over Colchester United.

Dan has made 20 competitive appearances during the 2018/19 season for Cardiff City's U18 side, scoring 23 goals, as of March 4th, 2019. :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:06 pm

If they are not good enough at 19 /20 when will.they be good enough I'm a great believer of chucking them in the deep end

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 pm

wez1927 wrote:If they are not good enough at 19 /20 when will.they be good enough I'm a great believer of chucking them in the deep end

That is a good idea if fans, managers and club had the time to let them fail and then pick them self up again. But they don’t. I don’t know if you have played football. But inconsistent is the name for a youngster, hence why maturing and experience is vital.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:01 pm

I think we could do a lot worse than form a partnership with some Spanish Segunda B side - given that many of us have a passing interest in them anyway ;)

Any Under23 players who are of at least the quality of present AB players could be loaned out and play regularly in a competitive league

I also think this could improve our Scouting in the area

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:42 am

Without even reading about each of them my guess is NO.
Based on the fact that we’ve not exactly had a history of youngsters coming through our club.