Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

These are the Best Times since the 20's...enjoy it

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:18 am

I read most comments on this forum and sometimes I just sit there open mouthed.

What our club has achieved in the last two years is nothing short of miraculous. Don't take my word for it, just look at the facts. Relegation fodder to the possibility of PL survival on a non-level playing field is truly remarkable.

I think our massive over achievement is lost on some fans in this materialistic world where everyone wants everything NOW.

I wasn't around in the 1920's, probably our most successful period (not forgetting the 40's), but we are all around now. We need to revel in this moment. We are in with a fighting chance and the next fight starts at 3pm today,

I've loved every minute of this season, many highs and plenty of lows, but that's football. These are the best times in my time supporting the City, let's just get out there and enjoy it. :bluebird:

Re: These are the Best Times since the 20's...enjoy it

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:06 am

Totally agree with this, sometimes when watching the light show on night games I think back to the days in the dungeon and the one floodlight on until just before kick off to save on electric. The turnaround of this club has been mind blowing, it only seems like yesterday we were fighting to stay in the football league and were getting turned over by teams like Hayes, Weymouth and Merthyr Tydfil and in front of crowds of less than 2,000.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:06 am

Totally agree with this, sometimes when watching the light show on night games I think back to the days in the dungeon and the one floodlight on until just before kick off to save on electric. The turnaround of this club has been mind blowing, it only seems like yesterday we were fighting to stay in the football league and were getting turned over by teams like Hayes, Weymouth and Merthyr Tydfil and in front of crowds of less than 2,000.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:51 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:I wasn't around in the 1920's, :bluebird:
Fake news? ;)

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:08 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:I wasn't around in the 1920's, :bluebird:
Fake news? ;)

That made me laugh :D ......cheers Tony for your kind words :occasion5:

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:25 am

The last 10 years has been the most successful in the clubs history without doubt.

Fa cup final
League cup final
Play off final
Championship winners
Championship runners up
Premier league team for two seasons
Brand new 35k seater stadium
Multiple awards for the club
No threat of financial problems
Smashing transfer records multiple times
Top class foreign and local players pulling on our shirt
Big name managers in our dugout

All down to one man in my opinion even though I hated his Rebrand he has taken this club to another level and deserves a lot of credit.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:01 am

The last 19 years have been City's best times on the pitch I agree and thats why last season I was so disappointed in our home & away support.

This seasons support has been fantastic, but it must continue :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:06 am

Forever Blue wrote:The last 19 years have been City's best times on the pitch I agree and thats why last season I was so disappointed in our home & away support.

This seasons support has been fantastic, but it must continue :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I agree and the hardcore support is gradually growing, however Cardiff have always had a massive floating fan base without doubt most of us know plenty. I ain’t here to criticise them it’s absolutely a choice they make, but yesterday was a gentle reminder with rugby on the tv, 3 awful result that some decided Ccfc wasn’t for them.

They missed arguably one of our best performances of the season. I back them no matter what? It’s in the blood.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:15 am

Stringfellow wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:The last 19 years have been City's best times on the pitch I agree and thats why last season I was so disappointed in our home & away support.

I agree and the hardcore support is gradually growing, however Cardiff have always had a massive floating fan base without doubt most of us know plenty. I ain’t here to criticise them it’s absolutely a choice they make, but yesterday was a gentle reminder with rugby on the tv, 3 awful result that some decided Ccfc wasn’t for them.

They missed arguably one of our best performances of the season. I back them no matter what? It’s in the blood.

I agree with you Gareth,

I watched the game live over here in Spain, I was shocked by how many empty seats, at least 5,000. A lot of floating fans still, but we are getting there :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:27 am

Rome wasn't built in a day but the OP is right.I guess only the older fans will appreciate this.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:41 am

I dont think it's just down to 1 man, but lots of people - who at last - have the best interests of the club in their plans.

I remember having to endure Russell Slade's brand of football and then Paul Trollope. Watching crowds get less and less each week, thinking this is really hard to watch let alone enjoy or be enthused about.

Then thank someone - Neil and his team were appointed - and since then - there has been a togetherness again, 1 team - 1 club and all that stuff.

I feel engaged and part of everything at the club - and hopefully so does my son, and everyone else Ive introduced to watching the club.

So my msg to Ken, Mehmet, Vince and Neil - dont change what youre doing. Lets have some fun, lets try and make the club some money.
Last edited by ReesWestonSuperMare on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:42 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:I dont think it's just down to 1 man, but lots of people - who at last - have the best interests of the club in the plans.

I remember having to endure Russell Slade's brand of football and then Paul Trollope. Watching crowds get less and less each week, thinking this is really hard to watch let alone enjoy or be enthused about.

Then thank someone - Neil and hi steam were appointed - and since then - there has been a togetherness again, 1 team - 1 club and all that stuff.

I feel engaged and part of everything at the club - and hopefully so does my son, and everyone else Ive introduced to watching the club.

So my msg to Ken, Mehmet, Vince and Neil - dont change what youre doing. Lets have some fun, lets try and make the club some money.

A lot of truth there :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:13 am

Great post.

Totally right

Let's hope we stay up then invest

Would love two seasons in Prem then build

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:25 am

May have been 3/4k empty seats but to have 28k actual, with a 'big' rugger match on was pretty remarkable considering the effect rugger has had on our attendances in the past.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:30 am

TheHangedMan wrote:I read most comments on this forum and sometimes I just sit there open mouthed.

What our club has achieved in the last two years is nothing short of miraculous. Don't take my word for it, just look at the facts. Relegation fodder to the possibility of PL survival on a non-level playing field is truly remarkable.

I think our massive over achievement is lost on some fans in this materialistic world where everyone wants everything NOW.

I wasn't around in the 1920's, probably our most successful period (not forgetting the 40's), but we are all around now. We need to revel in this moment. We are in with a fighting chance and the next fight starts at 3pm today,

I've loved every minute of this season, many highs and plenty of lows, but that's football. These are the best times in my time supporting the City, let's just get out there and enjoy it. :bluebird:

Very well put and, as always, the voice of the real fans. It's what I've intended to write myself here a number of times recently but couldn't work up the enthusiasm in the face of all the negativity .
I looked carefully at your photo to see whether I could identify it as Porthcawl,which was somehow the impression I had, but I see that it's actually "Kingsbere", so perhaps you're inspired by Thomas Hardy in your consistently great writing style !

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:49 pm

In the 1920s we were 1st Division runners up, FA Cup winners, FA Cup runners up, Charity Shield Winners and 2nd Division runners up. Definitely our most successful period.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:32 pm

And the highest average attendance in living memory, for me anyway, and I started going down NP in 1968.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:04 am

valleymodeller wrote:And the highest average attendance in living memory, for me anyway, and I started going down NP in 1968.

we averaged 32,410 in 1953/54 this season will be the highest since then.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:17 am

TheHangedMan wrote:I read most comments on this forum and sometimes I just sit there open mouthed.

:thumbup: :bluebird: