Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Everything Neil Warnock said after Cardiff City's vital West

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:20 am

Everything Neil Warnock said after Cardiff City's vital West Ham win including the two players who impressed him most

Here's the full transcript of his post-match press conference:

Have you answered your critics today (Nathan Blake / Danny Gabbidon) ?

"That's the only way you can answer them.

"I think even the lads mentioned the 'split camp' and the 'splinters' and what's been said this week. But you don't get a performance like that with a split camp.

"I thought they were fabulous: from one to 11 and the subs. I don't think there was a weakness today. I thought we worked hard this week in training and it's benefited.

"The selection I thought was right today, we wanted to have a go at them from the start and not sit back like we did against Watford.

"It's always nice for a change to score the first goal, which put a bit of pressure on them - because they're a good side. They're fighting to try and get in Europe. The only disappointment is we didn't score another two or three when we had some fabulous opportunities. But it's not us to make it straightforward, is it?"

Did you mention the criticism?

"I didn't have to. The lads were all talking about it.

"We were asking them to stand up - 'will you stand up please, you rifters!' - but nobody stood up.

"You always get that when you get defeats, because you (the media) have got to write about something.

"I think you said it was the most important game of my career or something like that. You have to fill news bulletins I suppose.

"For me, it was an important game. You can say about the other results, but I just think it brings a few more back into the pack. It makes a few more nervous.

"I think we're quite capable of getting results between now and the end of the season.

"You can see the confidence. There's one or two real plusses for me today: Murphy and Hoilett, not just scoring and making goals but the defensive side of the game as well.

"You've got (Aaron) Cresswell and (Ryan) Fredericks, two of the most attacking full-backs in the league, and they (Murphy and Hoilett) were magnificent.

"You can go through the team as well. I was really pleased how we set up and played some good football at times."

How are Camarasa and Bennett after their injuries?

"Victor has got cramp. It's quite physical to play for us. He apologised when he went off but I said 'don't worry, you did enough in an hour!'.

"Joe has just snicked a hamstring, nothing serious. But it's three weeks until the next game, so he should have an opportunity there."

What about the other results?

"It’s bound to bring the mood down, you want them all to lose when you’re in our situation.

"But our result will have surprised a few looking at the papers this morning, everyone predicted a 2-0 defeat so it’s great to have the opposite, I hope they all had money on it!"

Was that the biggest win of the season?

"I think it was the biggest win of the season just because of how poor we were in the last three matches.

"There are a lot of positives today, a lot of answers for the critics. That’s our eighth clean sheet, I would like to see how many other teams in the bottom half have eight clean sheets this year.

"The centre-backs and full-backs were fabulous then you go into midfield with (Aron) Gunnarsson running the show.

"Arter got the crowd involved with his energy, Camarasa oozed class and Oumar played a part, the centre-halves knew they were in for a tough game today.

"I asked the wide players to contribute to goals and you couldn’t have asked for much more. Wingers always get criticised but today I thought they were fantastic."

A three-week break now?

"I wish it was four weeks, because you’re only as good as your last result. I’ll sleep for three weeks.

"We’re giving a number of the players four days off, but they’re the internationals who are going away next week.

"It has worked well for some of them, Bruno and Gunnarsson haven’t had any time off so it’s nice for them to have a few days before they go away.

"We will be working hard until they come back and we’ll be prepared for the Chelsea game.

"We play Chelsea next and they’ll have everyone away. I wish we had more away because it means we’d have more quality players.

"It’s one of those things because whatever happens, 28 points is unbelievable for this group of players really.

"But now we have an opportunity to ruffle a few feathers and bring teams into it who weren’t expecting to be in it.

Will Victor's medical team check up on him?

"I imagine they’ll check it, they’ll be on the phone and probably want a scan. He’ll be out for three weeks but should be back for Chelsea."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.