Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

My View: "On what Cardiff need to stay up."

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:32 am

My View: "On what Cardiff need to stay up."

Depending on the result at Liverpool later today, and because of our dire goal difference, I think we are looking at finishing on 38 points to guarantee EPL safety.

Only in 2011 that wasn't enough to stay up - with Birmingham City the final club to get relegated that year on a high-thirty point total. They had a decent goal difference.

Little doubt now we will likely need to take a minimum of another four points from our remaining three home fixtures and potentially target two wins at Fulham, Burnley and/or Brighton.

The other fall back is Manchester United falling slightly off pace in the League, possibly progressing to the Champions League Final.

If United reach the FA Cup Final - the fixture is six days after they meet Cardiff at Old Trafford on the last day of the EPL season. This could mean them resting players, if they have no chance of making a top four position.

It could be tight, but I firmly believe we must take another 10 points from our remaining eight games.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: My View: "On what Cardiff need to stay up."

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:34 am

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 am

Did anyone else, watch the Southampton v Spurs highlights on MOTD, on another day, Spurs would have been out of sight at half time and Harry Kane could have scored a hat trick before the Saints had scored even one. I think 10 points is a good call and this could go down to the last game. I hope we don’t have to go to Old Trafford to get a point or worse, for survival.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:57 am

Cardiff City, Southampton, Newcastle United, Crystal Palace - How the relegation battle now looks after Bluebirds' win -

After three straight defeats, you'd surely forgive Cardiff City fans for feeling a little anxious about their prospect of Premier League survival.

Make no mistake, they remain in the thick of a relegation dogfight, but the 2-0 win over West Ham United has lifted the clouds that had previously built up around the Cardiff City Stadium in recent weeks.

Goals from Junior Hoilett and Victor Camarasa helped seal a well deserved victory over the Hammers, and the manner of the performance will have delighted boss Neil Warnock.

The Bluebirds were largely comfortably on an afternoon that saw City briefly haul themselves out of the relegation zone, only for Southampton to record a shock win over Tottenham Hotspur, meaning that it's largely as you were at the bottom of the Premier League.

The Saints came back from a goal down to see off Spurs 2-1 at St Mary's while Newcastle United came back from two goals down to record a sensational 3-2 win over Everton.

Crystal Palace will still be looking over their shoulder after their 2-1 defeat at home to bitter rivals Brighton, while Burnley slip to 17th ahead of their daunting trip to Liverpool tomorrow.

So how is it looking?

THE RESULTS

Saturday

Cardiff 2-0 West Ham

Crystal Palace 1-2 Brighton

Huddersfield 0-2 Bournemouth

Cardiff City 2-0 West Ham

Leicester 3-1 Fulham

Newcastle 3-2 Everton

Southampton 2-1 Tottenham

WHERE WE STAND

After yet another defeat, Huddersfield and Fulham both brought themselves a step closer to an increasingly inevitable return to the Championship.

The Terriers are now 16 points adrift at the foot of the Premier League table and it's now surely only a matter of time before their relegation to the Championship is confirmed.

Fulham look certain to join them, with a 3-1 defeat to Leicester leaving them just three points ahead of Jan Siewert's side, and still have Liverpool and Manchester City to come

Cardiff remain two points adrift of safety despite that win over the Hammers, and have a tricky run coming up, with Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool all to come.

Meanwhile, Southampton overtake Burnley on 30 points on goal difference, where they're likely to remain given that the Clarets are to take on title-chasing Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.

Brighton stay below bitter rivals Palace on goal difference, with both teams now five points clear of the dropzone, while Newcastle's fifth straight win sees them rise to 13th.

NEXT FIVE FIXTURES

Huddersfield: West Ham (a), Crystal Palace (a), Leicester City (h), Tottenham (a), Watford (h)

Fulham: Liverpool (h), Man City (h), Watford (a), Everton (h), Bournemouth (a)

Cardiff: Chelsea (h), Man City (a), Burnley (a), Liverpool (h), Fulham (a)

Burnley: Liverpool (a), Leicester (h), Wolves (h), Bournemouth (a), Cardiff (h)

Southampton: Brighton (a), Liverpool (h), Wolves (h), Newcastle (a), Bournemouth (h)

Brighton: Southampton (h), Tottenham (a), Bournemouth (h), Wolves (a), Newcastle (h)

Crystal Palace: Huddersfield (h), Newcastle (a), Man City (h), Arsenal (a), Everton (h)

Newcastle: Bournemouth (a), Arsenal (a), Crystal Palace (h), Leicester (a), Southampton (h)

Cardiff City 2-0 West Ham

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:58 am

Looking at Burnleys fixtures especially the last 4 games, they are in big trouble.

If we can stay within a win of overtaking them by the time we play them we may well only need to win that game to stay up.

They have a horrible run in and i cant see where they gamer any points. They have to play Chelsea, Man city , Arsenal and Everton in there last 4 games.

The relegation place will be decided by who wins the Cardiff v Burnley game

They only really have two game that you would think is winnable for them and that is us and Bournemouth. Bournemouth are no push overs either

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:00 am

I think we are going to be unlucky and 38 points wont be enough unless Burnley or another team have a bad run which upto now hasnt really happened. :roll:

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:01 am

I think the team selection was bang on yesterday from NW. We actually played some good football when we were on the front foot instead of sitting back and letting the opposition set up camp in our half. I think we need to try and take the initiative in games now and start off fast as we did yesterday. I think we have enough to beat Fulham and Brighton. Turf Moor will be a difficult place to go and I also think Palace at home could be a massive game for us. If Palace string a few results together they could have nothing to play for in May and with the home crowd we could turn them over

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 am

9 points from last 6 games so it’s possible.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:35 am

Chelsea home is massive we need to try and turn them over as we have a horrible run of games coming up; Burnley got a few very winnable games coming up, so have saints.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:40 am

I don't think we'll need that many points. That'd need everyone to carry on getting points at the rate they've done recently and I doubt whether that'd happen.
I can see Brighton on Burnley as the most likely to " help" us, and I'd go so far as to say that if we could beat both those teams we'd be okay. The points we get from that would be vital, but so would the points denied to them.
Brighton's stupid commitment to the Cup might be their undoing and don't forget that when we eventually play them they'll be deflated and less focussed on a league game one way or another.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:48 am

My prediction is we will finish the season on 40 points Burnley Fulham Brighton and palace are the game we will win and we could also pinch appoint against Chelsea which could give a bonus point which possibly gives us 41 points

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:14 am

I don’t know why but I’m fancying our chances against Liverpool,maybe their bottle will go or we’ll have one of them Man City days from last time in the prem.
10 Points is going to be tough but can be done. :bluescarf:

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:41 pm

thomasblue wrote:Looking at Burnleys fixtures especially the last 4 games, they are in big trouble.

If we can stay within a win of overtaking them by the time we play them we may well only need to win that game to stay up.

They have a horrible run in and i cant see where they gamer any points. They have to play Chelsea, Man city , Arsenal and Everton in there last 4 games.

They only really have two game that you would think is winnable for them and that is us and Bournemouth. Bournemouth are no push overs either

Doesn’t always work like that but I agree with you, they have some tough games and will target us but we must stay with them.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:15 pm

THOMASBLUE
burnley overturned spurs
And we also have chelsea man city liverpool and manure left to play, so hard to call it depends what we do against burnley themselves palace fulham and brighton , but if we go for it even away like we did yesterday we may well do it but sitting back away from home is no good at the likes of fulham we have to take it to every team we play home and away.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:00 pm

thomasblue wrote:Looking at Burnleys fixtures especially the last 4 games, they are in big trouble.

I'm with you on that, it still rankles with me the smash and grab they did on us with 2 shots on target. I believe we will get our revenge in the reverse fixture

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:29 pm

I think we need as a minimum to beat palace and Fulham. Draw with Brighton and Burnley. Think we still may go down on goal difference if this happens (I did a predictor) so a bonus point against a big boy or turn an away draw into a win against Burnley or Brighton.

Not easy but doable. We may even shock Chelsea or Liverpool :bluescarf:

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Burnely play two home games before we play next v Chelsea. Leicester and wolves, let’s hope they do badly and we get something. That will put them under some pressure.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Would love to go on run like Newcastle are on...5 straight victories and now they are 13th!

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:53 am

We need to beat at least one of the "top teams" and be consistent and beat those around us. I think Chelsea are mentally weak, Liverpool or Man City - one of those will feel the nerves against us and hopefully Man United will be on the beach for the last game of the season.

Be a very interesting finale :happy1:

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:02 am

NEXT FIVE FIXTURES

Huddersfield: West Ham (a), Crystal Palace (a), Leicester City (h), Tottenham (a), Watford (h)

Southampton: Brighton (a), Liverpool (h), Wolves (h), Newcastle (a), Bournemouth (h)

Brighton: Southampton (h), Tottenham (a), Bournemouth (h), Wolves (a), Newcastle (h)

Crystal Palace: Huddersfield (h), Newcastle (a), Man City (h), Arsenal (a), Everton (h)

Newcastle: Bournemouth (a), Arsenal (a), Crystal Palace (h), Leicester (a), Southampton (h)

Who are Brighton, Burnley and Southampton going to beat in this next batch of games ?
Maybe each other, but not many wins, we need to beat Burnley and Fulham and we will stay up IMO, with Brighton and Palace to play still!!!

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 am

Bluebina wrote:NEXT FIVE FIXTURES

Who are Brighton, Burnley and Southampton going to beat in this next batch of games ?
Maybe each other, but not many wins, we need to beat Burnley and Fulham and we will stay up IMO, with Brighton and Palace to play still!!!

After us, Burnley play Chelsea, Man City, Everton and Arsenal, on paper they have very few winnable games left!!!

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:09 am

Bluebina wrote:

After us, Burnley play Chelsea, Man City, Everton and Arsenal, on paper they have very few winnable games left!!!

Brighton still in the cup and it looks like they will get to the semi final, that could be a big distraction and a lot of games to play quickly, which could drag them down?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:14 am

Bluebina wrote:

They could win two of them.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:35 pm

maccydee wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

They could unlikely though isn't it? I think they will lose them all !!

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:04 pm

Bluebina wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

They could unlikely though isn't it? I think they will lose them all !!

What worries me is they have identical fixtures to Huddersfield at the end of last season and they drew with Chelsea & Man City away. If we manage to get a result against Chelsea there is a good chance so will they. Complacency could be our downfall in these situations thinking they'll get nothing from the last four games.

We've got to assume they will get at least a couple of draws and they've already shown they can beat Spurs and should have won at Old Trafford.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:32 pm

burnley arent going down, and neither are newcastle. good, solid teams that grind out points, managed by very good managers who have more nous and tactical knowhow than warnock. palace have far more attacking quality than us, and they wont be going down either.

southampton have been a shambles this year. it is to warnock's great credit that we are within a shout with 10 games or so to go.