Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Louis van Gaal announces retirement

Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Former Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal announces retirement

Former Man Utd manager Louis van Gaal will not be making a return to football having announced his retirement.

Former Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has announced his retirement.

The Dutchman who left Old Trafford in 2016 after two seasons in charge has confirmed that the United job will be his last in football as the 67-year-old has confirmed his retirement.

“I am a pensioner now. I have no ambition to be a technical director or a TV pundit," Van Gaal told Dutch TV show VTBL.

“My wife Truus gave up her job for me 22 years ago, and followed me when I went abroad. I told her I would quit as a coach when I turned 55, but instead kept going until I was 65.

“She is entitled to have a life with me outside of football. I can say she is very happy. I think I could have worked as a technical director.

“But in this role you can’t attend training or say anything for fear it won’t suit the coach, directors or media. I don’t think I want a job like that.”

Van Gaal was hired in the summer of 2014 following the sacking of David Moyes before the end of the previous season and he guided United to the FA Cup in 2016 but was sacked two days later.

Since then the Dutchman has not gone back in to football management and it was announced in 2017 that he had retired for family reasons. That wasn't true and the 67-year-old insisted he was just on a sabbatical.

But two years later and he's now confirmed he won't be making a return.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-louis-van-gaal-15957434

Re: Louis van Gaal announces retirement

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:17 pm

I don't think he ever got over not getting the Swansealona job! :cry: