Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: PM off to Strasbourg. Why not Brussels?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:24 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Think so unless something strange happens with the mp's think we should just telll junkers ect ect to and we'll take no deal that will scerew them more than us

Can you give some specific examples that no deal will be better for the UK than remaining please.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm

To interject, yes..

1) The euro zone is in decline.
2) No further bail outs will be required.
3) Foreign terrorists can be deported.
4) Business can be freed of from legislation.
5) Immigration can be controlled.
6) Fisheries can be protected.
7) We don’t subsidise failing EU industries.
8) Out of the CAP.
9) Reduce Tariffs to suit.
10) Our politicians will be more accountable.
11) The French don’t wash.

I could go on..

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:27 pm

CCFCJosh75 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Think so unless something strange happens with the mp's think we should just telll junkers ect ect to and we'll take no deal that will scerew them more than us

Can you give some specific examples that no deal will be better for the UK than remaining please.

Lose divorce payment effect on wine tourists car sales and the many more things that the EU relies on from us? Dont forget its not a one way street regarding economic things! Also several EU countries are in financial mess and a no deal will drive EU into deep recession can you imagine greece spain with severe drop in tourism ? Plus can see other EU countries wanting to keave if we succeed hence yhays why EU are refusing to do bugger all to help us leave, they want MP's to get a peoples vote knowing full well that vote go in their favour and we'll remain.
Ps also see post below for other reasons :thumbup:
And can you list true benefits of staying? Because upto now its them saying jump we say how high! :|

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 pm

The major concern now is not in the detail, but the betrayal of the people by the Govt. You’d think Corbyn, Abbott, and the spotty student brigade would be on the streets at this affront to democracy.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:09 pm

rumpo kid wrote:To interject, yes..

1) The euro zone is in decline.
2) No further bail outs will be required.
3) Foreign terrorists can be deported.
4) Business can be freed of from legislation.
5) Immigration can be controlled.
6) Fisheries can be protected.
7) We don’t subsidise failing EU industries.
8) Out of the CAP.
9) Reduce Tariffs to suit.
10) Our politicians will be more accountable.
11) The French don’t wash.

I could go on..

1) It is falling but 'Over the past two years, the economy of the rest of the EU has been growing faster than that of the UK. '
2) Could happen the other way, could not.
3) Under section 15 of the Immigration Act 1971, the Home Secretary has a very broad power to deport any foreign national whose removal from the UK he or she believes would be ‘conducive to the public good
4) Including the good ones
5) We can be more strict now if we wanted.
6) And also destroyed due to smaller fishing areas, delays, etc
7) The EU also won't subsidise our failing things either.
8) Only done a bit of looking at that but it sounds good.
9) We could do, fair enough
10) People will still blame the EU, or anything.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:16 pm

What are people afraid of with a second vote? I see leavers a lot posting on social media etc, about how their vote should be respected etc etc. So why do we have a general election every few years if a vote is definitive?

I could understand if the vote wasn’t as tight as it was, but with many of the lies about leaving coming to light, are some die hard leavers scared a re vote wouldn’t agree with their vote so as a result not agreeing with the “democracy” they claim is being taken from them?

I voted stay, if a re vote was done I’d vote leave, not because I know how everything works, not because I think leaving is best, I’d do it now just to ensure the country comes out in its worst possible condition in my opinion. Why would any international business bring anything to the UK if we aren’t able to freely trade with Europe?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 pm

I understand the view that for trade many believe we are better off in.

As a declaration of position I'm a leaver if you couldn't tell. But I do understand some feel we are better off in. But no one. Not one single person can explain to me why we need to have a political union. Please. Please will someone explain this to me? I won't get in to arguments about the make up of that political organisation. I have strong views about it. But so many people are so vehemently pro eu .... Who were remarkably quiet before the referendum we had with a massive turnout. None of them can explain what union has that bilateral deals and agreements can't have.

Freedom of movement? Doesbt take a union. We could have that unilaterally tomorrow and bilaterally with countries that sign up to agreements.
Tarrif free trade? Again. Sign an agreement.
Peace in Europe? Simple..don't bomb or invade anyone.
Ease of travel? Agree visa free travel. Currency? In the electronic age how many rely solely on cash? I've been to Norway a few times and found it nigh on impossible to get cash although everyone took contactless.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:50 pm

As a leave voter I'm not afraid of a second vote but I'd be pretty pissed off. We had a huge turnout and were told whatever we voted for would be enacted. It hasn't been. And it hasn't been because our political class are a bunch of petulant children. Frankly I'd find it an affront. Also. If leave won again it won't change anything. They can't agree on a deal or no deal. If that's what the referendum was on then it would be ok seeing as MPs can't decide.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:50 pm

Tuggi wrote:What are people afraid of with a second vote? I see leavers a lot posting on social media etc, about how their vote should be respected etc etc. So why do we have a general election every few years if a vote is definitive?

I could understand if the vote wasn’t as tight as it was, but with many of the lies about leaving coming to light, are some die hard leavers scared a re vote wouldn’t agree with their vote so as a result not agreeing with the “democracy” they claim is being taken from them?

I voted stay, if a re vote was done I’d vote leave, not because I know how everything works, not because I think leaving is best, I’d do it now just to ensure the country comes out in its worst possible condition in my opinion. Why would any international business bring anything to the UK if we aren’t able to freely trade with Europe?

Er, the rest of the World trades freely with Europe. And if that’s how you feel, hand ya passport in, and Foxtrot Oscar.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:31 pm

Rumpo the rest of the world doesn’t trade freely with the eu that’s the point, we are surrounded by Europe and can’t change that

I’m not bothered now what goes on, nobody actually knows what is good or bad either way, a small majority vote voted leave so imo just leave no deal and pick up the chaos afterwards. There was a study done apparently that says it will take 15 years to know if leaving was better or worse for the economy, so there’ll be no pot of gold after the rainbow whatever they decide.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:07 pm

What A Mess !!!

And the farce is set to continue past March 29th

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:18 pm

MP’s reject the new deal and they also reject leaving the EU with No Deal meaning Article 50 will have to be extended :banghead: :banghead:

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:20 pm

Found this website which tells you what you personally give to the EU
https://euworthit.uk
I spent more watching us draw 0-0 at Wednesday last season than I gave to the EU (although I do think Wednesday's tickets are way too expensive)

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Breaking now, MPs vote to extend Article 50... May heads back to Europe and asks to extend to 30th June or 2020 :banghead:

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Tusk wants a delay by a year Guess why? So that we might change our minds by then? And poland france and germanys leaders fear a no deal as it will wreck their economies (their words) :old:

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:26 pm

Now we can see why it’s stalling

11549348-4FA7-4C5D-9B96-B22876E7FC78.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:41 pm

snoopystorm wrote:Now we can see why it’s stalling

This is the problem mp,s not doing what the public wanted just being look at me i am an mp i can do anything i want who needs democracy? As fpr leader of the house he needs to be sacked asap, supposed to be neutral but several times he's decided what is debated and as long as its helping remain he will grant it but anything to do with leaving he rejects it, latest outrage was to reject a debate on keeping no deal but allow debate on taking no deal of table despite over 100 mp,s (more than other debate) wanting debate on leaving without no deal :o

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:19 am

the MPs going against the democratic vote in their constituencies should { but probably will not } all be voted out.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:41 am

dogfound wrote:

the MPs going against the democratic vote in their constituencies should { but probably will not } all be voted out.

Local de-selection of MP's who went against the vote of the majority of their constituents would be the answer; alongside the resignations of both PM Theresa May-Nott and the anti-Labour manifesto Jerrymander Corbyn

Can't see it happening much but it is time the people sent out a message to their Government that it is not okay to renege on a deal with (the majority of) the people

Anti-Brexit voters can go cry in their beer; just like Labour (and other Party) voters had to do after the last national elections

First past the post wins in a democracy...or at least it used to! :cry:

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:10 am

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Local de-selection of MP's who went against the vote of the majority of their constituents would be the answer; alongside the resignations of both PM Theresa May-Nott and the anti-Labour manifesto Jerrymander Corbyn

Can't see it happening much but it is time the people sent out a message to their Government that it is not okay to renege on a deal with (the majority of) the people

Anti-Brexit voters can go cry in their beer; just like Labour (and other Party) voters had to do after the last national elections

There are very many labour MP's in the north of England going very much against the wishes of their leave voting constituents but they cant be deselected by their local parties. Its up to Ken McCluskey and co.

This could get very interesting next week. If she gets the DUP onside and pragmatism takes hold in the right of the tory party then the numbers could very close indeed. It could go down as a consequence of a few remainer Tories. Possibly go down due to the disgraced Peterborough MP. She steadfastly votes remain ( although she had day off yesterday ), says shes only there to represent the interests of her constituents, 70% of whom voted to leave.

Then of course there's the nuclear option. If its looking very tight whats the chance Corbyn rings up his mates in the IRA and we see Sinn Fein roll nto Westminster to torpedo the deal.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:12 am

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:

There are very many labour MP's in the north of England going very much against the wishes of their leave voting constituents but they cant be deselected by their local parties. Its up to Ken McCluskey and co.

This could get very interesting next week. If she gets the DUP onside and pragmatism takes hold in the right of the tory party then the numbers could very close indeed. It could go down as a consequence of a few remainer Tories. Possibly go down due to the disgraced Peterborough MP. She steadfastly votes remain ( although she had day off yesterday ), says shes only there to represent the interests of her constituents, 70% of whom voted to leave.

Then of course there's the nuclear option. If its looking very tight whats the chance Corbyn rings up his mates in the IRA and we see Sinn Fein roll nto Westminster to torpedo the deal.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:45 pm

MPs overwhelmingly agreed — 412 to 202 — to seek an extension of Brexit beyond 29 March. The government will now ask the EU to approve the delay, which may push the country’s departure from the bloc to at least 30 June, if MPs finally endorse Prime Minister Theresa May’s exit deal in a third vote by 20 March. EU leaders have been split on whether they would approve a deadline change. The timing will also determine whether the UK participates in upcoming EU elections.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:34 pm

The European Union will only extend the UK's looming Brexit deadline if members of parliament pass the withdrawal agreement, says Donald Tusk, the president of the European council. That means the UK will now either have to accept Prime Minister Theresa May's deal or exit without an agreement on March 29. Earlier this week, Speaker John Bercow blocked a third vote on May’s Brexit withdrawal agreement, citing a text from 1604 that stipulates a defeated motion cannot be brought back if it remains "substantially the same."