Former Cardiff player whose cocaine, alcohol & gambling

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:34 pm

The former Cardiff City player whose cocaine, alcohol and gambling addiction got him sacked and banned for four years

Josh Yorwerth has joined Ipswich

Tuesday 12th March 2019

Former Wales youth team captain Josh Yorwerth has spoken candidly about his battle with drug, alcohol and gabling addiction after being sacked by his club Peterborough United.

The 24-year-old, once described as the Cardiff City academy's "best talent" was hit with a record four-year ban last month for not attending a drug test.

He admitted to attending his hearing smelling of alcohol, with cocaine in his system from the night before.

After coming through the system as a highly-rated young defender at Cardiff, his life descended into a story of addiction and substance abuse with spells at Ipswich Town, Crawley and Merthyr before his Peterborough contract was terminated on February 26.

In an interview with The Sun , Yorwerth revealed he'd go on three-day benders, trashing a friend's apartment and ending up in rehab.

It's a story that has virtually put an end to his promising career.

Josh Yorwerth in action for Ipswich Town, chasing down Manchester United's Wayne Rooney in a 2015 League Cup tie (Image: 2015 Getty Images)
“I had a pre-hearing at Wembley to give my version of events about the night the testers came to my house," he said.

"I’d slept for one hour, was stinking of booze and I’d used cocaine the night before.

"I’m sitting there in a waistcoat and a Dickie Bow thinking to myself: I need help here.”

Yorwerth was turfed out by Peterborough boss Steve Evans after being banned for missing an FA drugs test on September 25.

The Bridgend-born former starlet revealed he'd had a wild weekend taking cocaine two days before and refused to open the door to testers.

“Me and some mates ended up going out, got too drunk and caused a scene. We went back to my friend’s apartment being idiots, smashing plates on the floor, smashed the TV up and threw pint glasses across the room.

“I woke up on Sunday with the realisation that we’d trashed an apartment and I’d put it on social media. I got in the car and had talkSPORT on and they were talking about it. I lost my way from there: went straight to the pub and did drugs.

“There was a knock at the door at about 9.30pm.

"I was in so much shock and panic. I thought, ‘That’s two years suspended now with cocaine use’."

Yorwerth was initially suspended by Posh for two weeks before he was handed a four-year ban — the longest anyone has received for which he is now appealing on mental health grounds.

He's seeing a therapist, has been to rehab and still hopes to salvage his career — having been such a bright start as a Welsh youngster, playing for the Under-17s 19s and 21s and even named as captain at U16 level.

He revealed his problems started with gambling addiction as a teenager, when he'd spent much of his £500 weekly wage as a Cardiff apprentice on betting.

“There was a stage where I had £12,000 in my account and I’d get up in the morning and bet on virtual dogs," he added.

"I remember when I was 18, I was in Oceana in Cardiff with my mate, downed a drink and put £500 on a virtual dog. I won £2,200."
Attachments
0_josh-yorwerth-640-37-2504063_478x359.jpg
0_josh-yorwerth-640-37-2504063_478x359.jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Former Cardiff player whose cocaine, alcohol & gambling

Postby Milkybarkid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:00 pm

My son was with him at Cardiff When I told him he was banned the first things that came out of his mouth was I bet it was cocaine By all accounts he had major issues while at Cardiff and that’s why he was let go
Milkybarkid

Postby Wolfpac » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:08 pm

I've never been a druggy, done the odd pill back in the day when I was into the rave scene but I can relate to gambling and through the help off a councillor and some great folk on this message board I'm getting there slowly, so I hope Josh can conquer his demons and re-establish his career once his ban is over.
Wolfpac

Postby castle view blu » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Sounds like another Leon Jeanne in wasted talent. Due to the marching powder
castle view blu

Postby Bluebina » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:38 pm

hhhhmmmm I'm no expert but doesn't sound to me like the best preparation for a professional footballer?
Bluebina

Return to General Chat