Newport County fading

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Newport County fading

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Cobblers! Newport Rocked By Joe’s Magnificent Strike

Northampton 1 Newport County 0

Attendance: 4,064 ( including 98 Newport fans )

Michael Flynn admits Newport County’s League Two play-off dream is fading, saying: “You won’t get in the play-offs with away form as bad as ours.”

The Exiles suffered a 12th away defeat of the season, losing 1-0 at Northampton Town after a magnificent 88th minute goal by substitute Joe Powell.

County are 13th with 10 fixtures remaining – eight points below seventh-placed Colchester with a game in hand.

“I’m not even thinking about the play-offs,” said Flynn. “It’s disappointing. We lost the game at Colchester even though we played well.

“I told the players that in away matches we haven’t been good enough in both boxes.

“It was a good away performance, but we’ve gone and lost the game.

“We had enough chances to win it, but it’s the business end of the season and I don’t really care how we play if we win. It’s about getting the points on the board.

“I don’t want taps on the back saying ‘you did well’. We lost, so somewhere along the line we did something wrong.”

Northampton’s winner followed a long throw into the penalty area. The ball was only half cleared twice before Powell struck with a half volley from 30 yards with the winner.

“We should have got someone on the edge of the box to mark him,” said Flynn. “Somebody didn’t do their job.”

Flynn made one change to the starting side which struggled to create anything during their 3-0 defeat at Colchester United. Tyreeq Bakinson stepped up for Ade Azeez, who was among the substitutes.

Flynn had described the fixture as a ‘cup final’ in terms of Newport’s play-off hopes, but his team fell to a special winner by Powell, who had only been sent on 90 seconds earlier.

Flynn responded by sending on Harry McKirdy, Azeez and Josh Sheehan for O’Brien, Labadie and Bennett.

But Northampton held on to take all three points.

The next test for Newport is against Cheltenham Town at Rodney Parade this Friday evening (7.45pm).

Newport County AFC (3-4-1-2): Day, Butler, Demetriou, O’Brien, capt (Azeez 90), Poole, Labadie (Sheehan 90), Willmott, Bakinson, Bennett (McKirdy 90), Matt, Amond. Subs not used: Townsend, Pipe, Marsh-Brown, Forbes.

Northampton Town (4-4-2): Cornell, Goode, Taylor, Pierre (capt), Buchanan, Hoskins, Turnbull, O’Toole (Powell 86), Foley, Powell, Williams (Bridge 66). Subs not used: Coddington, Bowditch, Elsnik, Roberts, Williams

Referee: Antony Coggins

Attendance: 4,064 (98 away)
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Newport County fading

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Newport County fading

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:51 pm

That Cup run is starting to catch up with them .
TopCat CCFC

Return to General Chat