Oliver Cromwells Speech

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Oliver Cromwells Speech

Postby Ninianman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Oliver Cromwell's Speech to the English Parliament
20th April 1653

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.
Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?
Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your consience for bribes?Is there a man that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?
Ye sordid prostitutes, have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and picked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone!
So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!
Ninianman

Oliver Cromwells Speech

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Oliver Cromwells Speech

Postby SirJimmySchoular » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:30 pm

That's an excellent and very apposite posting. I have nothing to add, but to congratulate you upon it since I notice that many have viewed it and no one has disagreed with the sentiment, which confirms the excellent use of your commendable knowledge of Hansard.
SirJimmySchoular

Postby Caerphillyblue1927 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Exactly the same today. Oh for a modern day Ollie Cromwell :clap:
Caerphillyblue1927

Postby worcester_ccfc » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:18 am

So we’re now glorifying a dictator :lol:
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Sven » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:43 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:So we’re now glorifying a dictator :lol:

It's somewhat ironic there's statue of him outside of Westminster Palace! :laughing6:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby skiprat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:24 am

He's not very popular in Ireland.
skiprat

Postby JimmyJazz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 am

skiprat wrote:He's not very popular in Ireland.

Don't mention Ireland, someone will try and tell you he was fighting terrorists... :(
My father missed the cup final in 1927 as my grandad only had 2 tickets, and my Dad had an older brother!
JimmyJazz

Postby Bakedalasker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:59 am

Caerphillyblue1927 wrote:Exactly the same today. Oh for a modern day Ollie Cromwell :clap:

There isn't one.
Bakedalasker

Postby Bakedalasker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:00 am

Sven wrote:

It's somewhat ironic there's statue of him outside of Westminster Palace! :laughing6:

Sometimes an Action requires a Reaction.
Bakedalasker

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:23 am

Just proves human nature has not changed much in 500 + years.
Power corrupts and absolute powers corrupts absolutely.

The choices left are 'The Deal' , 'No Deal' aka clean Brexit or No Brexit at all.

If we go for an Article 50 delay - then the EU will want a long one - which means we take part in the EU elections.

If she went for another referendum with a proportional representation system - ie you vote for you first and second option - at least that we would would have a clear decision. If it was 50% her deal and 50% No Brexit - then you cant up peoples second preferred option. Which would hopefully give us a majority decision.

Unless of course that was split as well - then we may as well flip a coin.
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby rumpo kid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Needed every now and then to root out to purge the 5th Column..
rumpo kid

Postby tcblue » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:30 am

“The English Parliament” - says it all about you cucked Brit nats
tcblue

Postby rumpo kid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:27 pm

[quote="tcblue"]“The English Parliament” - says it all about you cucked Brit nats[/quote

Very interesting..brain stuck with the same repetitive thought.

Very boring..posting said thought ad infinitum..

rumpo kid

Postby Jock » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:01 am

Ninianman wrote:Oliver Cromwell's Speech to the English Parliament
20th April 1653

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.
Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?
Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your consience for bribes?Is there a man that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?
Ye sordid prostitutes, have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and picked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone!
So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!

The more things change.......
Jock

Return to General Chat