Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Comic relief

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 pm

It gets worse every year, did anyone find anything funny?

I laughed once only when Partridge squirted the other bloke with pepper spray and he called him a prick, otherwise I thought it was completely unfunny.

Is it just me?

Re: Comic relief

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:32 pm

I don't know if it's just me and the figures may tell a different story but Children in Need and CR seem to be on the decline, it used to be massive in schools and work places but seems to have faded over the past 10 years, my brothers kids school did nothing for Comic Relief this year, where I'm currently working there was nothing for Children In need last year and it's a big old organisation

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:43 pm

Definitely not what it used to be.

The celebrities involved, apart from maybe Hugh Grant and Richard Madden, aren’t really that well known.

Nowhere near as funny as in the past. I think RV is right, and the money is going down now.

Another reason is people don’t watch TV the same way, everyone uses catch up and streaming. Part of the reason shows like X Factor, the soaps, Big Brother etc don’t pull in anywhere near the same figures.

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:47 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Definitely not what it used to be.

The celebrities involved, apart from maybe Hugh Grant and Richard Madden, aren’t really that well known.

Nowhere near as funny as in the past. I think RV is right, and the money is going down now.

Another reason is people don’t watch TV the same way, everyone uses catch up and streaming. Part of the reason shows like X Factor, the soaps, Big Brother etc don’t pull in anywhere near the same figures.

You used to get the firestations open for car washes, kids coming round the doors with sponsor forms for all sorts of things etc etc, don't see any of that these days mate

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:44 pm

RV Casual wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Definitely not what it used to be.

You used to get the firestations open for car washes, kids coming round the doors with sponsor forms for all sorts of things etc etc, don't see any of that these days mate

Agree with that as well.

Doesn’t gather the same interest anymore.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 am

I recorded it and I fast forward to the bits I think will be funny, but there was very little I enjoyed. I did enjoy the bit with Freddie Flintoff and Robbie Savage. It’s the first year aswell, that I haven’t donated as I just think it’s been going on too long.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 am

If I remember correctly Children in Need - 100% goes to the good causes, no admin fees etc.
Comic Relief - take the money - invest it in stocks and shares and then spend the money on good causes. So the red nose at £1.25 only 60p ish goes to the charity.

I would rather just give directly than buy a stupid PLASTIC gimmick - that will eventually pollute the ocean.

As for David Lammy and his 'white saviour' criticism - no more needs to be said about that.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 am

I don't fine today's comedians particularly funny. Other than Peter Kay and the "Would I Lie To You" tv programe, most of the stuff I hear today is about as funny as toothache or jokes I have heard a dozen times before. I am sure half the comedians are repeating jokes that they hear from kids who are still in infant schools. :old:

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:58 pm

It’s just a platform for us to donate money to make a lot of people extremely rich. And money given to dodgy causes. I will keep my money in my pocket. And will give only when I know the money I donate will go to the cause not in some Elitists Chief execs pocket

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:07 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:If I remember correctly Children in Need - 100% goes to the good causes, no admin fees etc.
Comic Relief - take the money - invest it in stocks and shares and then spend the money on good causes. So the red nose at £1.25 only 60p ish goes to the charity.

I would rather just give directly than buy a stupid PLASTIC gimmick - that will eventually pollute the ocean.

As for David Lammy and his 'white saviour' criticism - no more needs to be said about that.

If I remember rightly Terry Wogan got paid £8k for presenting Children in Need.

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:33 am

Gaynor Straight wrote:
ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:If I remember correctly Children in Need - 100% goes to the good causes, no admin fees etc.

If I remember rightly Terry Wogan got paid £8k for presenting Children in Need.

would imagine the BBC paid him along with the rest of the production crew , don't think that would have come out of donations.

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Brexit

:roll:

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:27 pm

In the Alan Partridge skit, there is a clear mention at least twice, of Richer Sounds, a clear case of advertising a business.