Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SWANSEA CITY START COST CUTTING AS STAFF FACE REDUNDANCY

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:06 am

Swansea City tell all non-first team staff jobs could go as cost of Premier League relegation continues to hit

"If you wish to apply for voluntary redundancy please let me know."

By Tom Coleman

Friday 22nd March 2019

Swansea City have told employees that they're facing redundancy as the financial cost of Premier League relegation continues to bite.

A letter sent to every member of staff, excluding the playing staff, manager Graham Potter and his coaching staff, informed that the club 'is continuing to see its income reducing' after last year's relegation.

Distributed by the club's hierarchy, the letter encourages those willing to take voluntary redundancy to step forward and asks for suggestions on ways to avoid having to lay-off members of staff.

Part of the letter reads: "Dear Employee,

"I am writing to inform you of the following situation now facing Swansea City Association Football Club and the Swansea Stadium Management Company (the Companies).

"Following Swansea City Association Football Club's relegation from the Premier League in May 2018 the company is continuing to see its income reducing and this will have a significant impact for both Swansea City Association Football Club and Swansea Stadium Management Company.

"After considering all possible options, the Companies have concluded that there is a risk that they will be unable to continue to provide work for all of its employees and that they may therefore have to make redundancies.

"The Companies will continue to explore ways of avoiding compulsory redundancies and minimising the number of employees affected. Both companies will be consulting with representatives of all affected employees in due course.

"Measure which may assist in avoiding compulsory redundancies include offering alternative employment elsewhere within the Group and voluntary redundancy. If you have any suggestions on ways to avoid redundancies, please let me know.

"If you wish to apply for voluntary redundancy please let me know.

"If the Companies are not able to avoid the need for redundancies, they may have to make redundancies across both companies.

"If redundancies are necessary each Company will have to decide which individuals will be selected for redundancy. This would be done on the basis of objective and quantifiable selection criteria that are yet to be established.

"The Companies will carry out a consultation exercise with appropriate representatives of those employees who may be affected.

"The consultation will cover the Companies proposed selection criteria and ways of avoiding or reducing the number of redundancy dismissals and mitigating the consequences of such demands."

In a statement, a spokesman for Swansea City said: “The club can confirm that a comprehensive review of its operations and organisational structure is ongoing. As part of this process all staff have received notice informing them that the review is being undertaken and as a result there is likely to be a reduction in headcount.

“We are hopeful that the offer of an improved voluntary package will limit the impact on staff.

“It has been a difficult decision for the club to take, but these actions are necessary as part of the ongoing attempt to reduce the cost base in line with the significant reduction in revenue as a result of relegation from the Premier League.”

Trevor Birch, a figure known for his financial expertise, has been appointed as the club's new chairman
The financial struggles at the club have been heavily stressed by the club's hierarchy for some time, with chief operating officer Chris Pearlman stating last month: "We have spoken publicly on a few occasions since relegation about the club’s current financial position. Simply stated, our current contractual commitments are higher than our expected income.

"Relegation has seen our annual income this season drop by approximately £60million. That is inclusive of the parachute payments we received from the Premier League."

The club has already made little secret of its cost-cutting approach in terms of playing staff, with Swansea emerging from the last two transfer windows with a profit of nearly £40 million.

The news comes just days after the club appointed Trevor Birch as their new chairman, a figure known for his financial expertise.

However, it's understood the decision was taken before his appointment.

Swansea currently sit 15th in the Championship, and are 10 points adrift of the play-off positions with 10 games to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: SWANSEA CITY START COST CUTTING AS STAFF FACE REDUNDANCY

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:34 am

Light years ahead of us
Never play us again
The best-run club, envied by every other club
Owned by their Trust and local owners who have the good of the club at heart

:laughing6: Where are you now Roathy :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:02 am

Don’t think it’s a time for point scoring to be honest ordinary people living ordinary lives with families and mortgages are facing redundancy this morning while fat cat owners directors and players past and present live the high life

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:18 am

Gone from generating £20m transfer sales, dreaming of mimicking Barcelona's style and playing in europe to being 'comfortable' in the Prem to looking like a very very average Champ team and in dismay in the space of 18 months!

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:24 am

Not forgetting the amount of season ticket sales they will lose out on this year ,as many wouldve held them this year as they wouldve bought from there last year in the prem with the early bird hoping they wouldve stayed up ,probably be back to there 9,000 crowds soon,sell off of players ..ah well never mind :wave:

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:51 am

If the Bolton Wanderers take over fails and they get liquidated, Swansea will find themselves just 6 points clear of relegation with a run of tricky fixtures coming up. Wouldn't want the demise of any football club ( even Swansea ) but if they did find themselves in the middle of a relegation fight it doesn't bare thinking what that would do for morale down there.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:53 am

Let’s hope we are not having the same conversation about the City at the end of the season :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:57 am

d20 wrote:Not forgetting the amount of season ticket sales they will lose out on this year ,as many wouldve held them this year as they wouldve bought from there last year in the prem with the early bird hoping they wouldve stayed up ,probably be back to there 9,000 crowds soon,sell off of players ..ah well never mind :wave:

Don’t you have any sympathy for staff facing job losses ?

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:46 am

since64 wrote:Don’t think it’s a time for point scoring to be honest ordinary people living ordinary lives with families and mortgages are facing redundancy this morning while fat cat owners directors and players past and present live the high life

It can be sad on an individual level of course, but they thought it was funny and gloated when we've been through tough times, so I don't think they will get any sympathy ever again from the majority of Cardiff fans when they are in the shit, what goes around comes around !!!!

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:00 am

They were the next Barcelona, a well run club, openly mocked us and were everyone 2nd club :laughing5:

I have not a jot of sympathy with them as it's not like it's happened before has it :bluebird:

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:22 am

Charlie Harper wrote:They were the next Barcelona, a well run club, openly mocked us and were everyone 2nd club :laughing5:

I have not a jot of sympathy with them as it's not like it's happened before has it :bluebird:

Raise a glass Charlie.
f**k the Jacks - people lose jobs every day.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:They were the next Barcelona, a well run club, openly mocked us and were everyone 2nd club :laughing5:

Raise a glass Charlie.

The groundsman is being put out to grass. Not my joke, I pinched it off their site.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:27 am

Raise a glass Charlie.

The groundsman is being put out to grass. Not my joke, I pinched it off their site.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:31 am

Raise a glass Charlie.

Exactly Philly, that's life and it's happened to myself and lots of others.
I just hope they sink to where they deserve to be :thumbup:

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:44 am

Bluebina wrote:
since64 wrote:Don’t think it’s a time for point scoring to be honest ordinary people living ordinary lives with families and mortgages are facing redundancy this morning while fat cat owners directors and players past and present live the high life

It can be sad on an individual level of course, but they thought it was funny and gloated when we've been through tough times, so I don't think they will get any sympathy ever again from the majority of Cardiff fans when they are in the shit, what goes around comes around !!!!

The people being made redundant are not fans they are employees :roll:

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:45 am

Charlie Harper wrote:

Raise a glass Charlie.

Who the club or the employees

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:12 pm

The fans and club I have no sympathy for, the arrogance of them because they had a small time above us was unbelievable.

I do feel sorry for the ordinary employee though, not a nice situation.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:14 pm

since64 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

The people being made redundant are not fans they are employees :roll:

Most of them are, same as staff here support Cardiff :roll:

The Directors, Managers. players, tannoy announcer, all sorts at Swansalona have tried to take the piss over the years, now it's their time :thumbup:

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:17 pm

since64 wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:

Raise a glass Charlie.

Why are you making this about individuals? Redundancy sadly is part of life for many many people including myself in the past, last week via Dawnus 700 people found themselves out of work.

This is football, there are rivalries, for years they mocked us for our debts, the changing to red, our own relegation etc....I remember them hoping we would be wound up by HMRC.....excuse me if I enjoy the current demise.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:18 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
since64 wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:

Raise a glass Charlie.

Why are you making this about individuals? Redundancy sadly is part of life for many many people including myself in the past, last week via Dawnus 700 people found themselves out of work.

This is football, there are rivalries, for years they mocked us for our debts, the changing to red, our own relegation etc....I remember them hoping we would be wound up by HMRC.....excuse me if I enjoy the current demise.

Well said totally agree :thumbup:

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:36 pm

No one wants to see anyone lose their job - ever . But these things do happen in life and football clubs are no different.

The owners have got their money back in terms of what they sold players for etc. So they have no incentive whatsoever to spend more money in order to not get promotion. And WE know exactly what happens when the owners have that mentality - YOU CALL FOR RUSSELL SLADE.

As a club they are going nowhere - and destined to be a mid table championship team - which given the attendances - I think that is probably about right. Same goes for Burnley and Bournemouth. Sky money is keeping them where they are. Rubbish stadium, small local area and poor support - it's not sustainable in the long term. One poor manager and that's it - gone back to the championship.

If I was the owner of the jacks - I wouldnt spend a penny. Id keep what I had got back and look to off load as much as possible before selling

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:44 pm

When we had tough financial times, many of them where hoping we got liquidated.

I don't know why, if we did fold they'd soon be wanting us back so their precious derby with us could resume which means more to them then anything.

I wouldn't want them or any other club to die but I hope fall back down to league 2 and a long shot I know, I hope they strike a rivalry up with Newport, that becomes the new the new SW derby and we go about our business alone.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Years ago I would have said I couldn’t give a shit about the great unwashed down west ....
Still not a lover of them ,but I must have matured in my old age ,can see the bigger picture and what it could mean to football in wales.
Regardless of what we think , if more kids play football the likelihood that a few of them will make it to the big time and play for the country.
They may not play for Swansea or Cardiff but everyone has got to start somewhere .

I think that they are major free fall and could get a lot worse.

As long as we are the best team in wales is all I care about .

:bluebird: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:30 pm

A slight reduction in a few players wages and the normal part time staff could keep there jobs.
Sell one player and it would pay for the rest of the staff for years

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:01 pm

thomasblue wrote:A slight reduction in a few players wages and the normal part time staff could keep there jobs.

Reducing players wages beyond whats allowed in their contract is pretty much impossible and as for selling players they need to do that anyway. This is a club that got used to spending a hundred million a year. The longer your up there the more entrenched the spending becomes.

This time next year they'll be looking forward to income of less than 20 million running to almost nothing beyond that. They're in crisis with owners clearly unprepared to finance the club in order to weather the storm. How long we wait until he first big tax bill goes unpaid maybe less than we think.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:36 pm

epping blue wrote:If the Bolton Wanderers take over fails and they get liquidated, Swansea will find themselves just 6 points clear of relegation with a run of tricky fixtures coming up. Wouldn't want the demise of any football club ( even Swansea ) but if they did find themselves in the middle of a relegation fight it doesn't bare thinking what that would do for morale down there.

how can Bolton being liquidated negatively effect Swansea.?

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:48 pm

dogfound wrote:
epping blue wrote:If the Bolton Wanderers take over fails and they get liquidated, Swansea will find themselves just 6 points clear of relegation with a run of tricky fixtures coming up. Wouldn't want the demise of any football club ( even Swansea ) but if they did find themselves in the middle of a relegation fight it doesn't bare thinking what that would do for morale down there.

If the Bolton takeover fails to go through in the next couple of weeks then its very possible that they could cease trading very quickly. If they don't complete their fixtures then their record is expunged. Swansea have taken 6 points from their games with Bolton and the teams below them much less. Teams at this level very rarely go bust but Bolton are in a really awful position. Whoever takes them over will need really deep pockets and with relegation a certainty very little likelihood of any return if ever.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 pm

epping blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

If the Bolton takeover fails to go through in the next couple of weeks then its very possible that they could cease trading very quickly. If they don't complete their fixtures then their record is expunged. Swansea have taken 6 points from their games with Bolton and the teams below them much less. Teams at this level very rarely go bust but Bolton are in a really awful position. Whoever takes them over will need really deep pockets and with relegation a certainty very little likelihood of any return if ever.

bloody hell. yes most of those down the bottom have picked up very few points off BWFC..would make it very interesting should that happen. doubt it will though.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 pm

I wonder how many Swansea fans who have spent years laughing at our club and taking the piss out of Vincent Tan would now wish he was their owner rather than the American asset strippers?

I feel sorry for the people who could lose their jobs and even their long standing fans (all three of them) but as for the club itself.....

Nah. What goes around comes around. They'll be back in the dungeon where they belong soon. It's a pity Leon Britton has retired - he could have played for them in League 2, League 1, Championship and PL and then all the way back down again.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:30 pm

thomasblue wrote:A slight reduction in a few players wages and the normal part time staff could keep there jobs.

truth be told they have already jettisoned lots of high earners with 9/10 being sold or allowed to leave in the summer and another half a dozen { who cost them between 60 and 70 mill ,so assume they have wages to match } sent out on loan to lighten the wages..and its nowhere near enough..

they have enormous problems..

the premier league is a money pit..