Wales made a dream start to their Euro 2020 qualifying campa

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Wales 1-0 Slovakia: Daniel James' strike earns Ryan Giggs' side victory in opening Euro 2020 qualifier

Wales made a dream start to their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign in Cardiff

By Ian Mitchelmore

Sunday 24th March 2019

Daniel James' first international goal proved enough for Wales who started their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign with a hard-fought victory over Slovakia.

The Swansea City youngster was handed his first competitive start for his country and took just five minutes to make his mark by drilling beyond Martin Dubravka from just outside the penalty area.

The visitors created several chances though, with Wayne Hennessey having to make a last-ditch save to deny Albert Rusnak in the second half before thwarting Michal Duris late on.

But the hosts survived a late spell of pressure to start their qualifying campaign by registering a tick in the win column.

Ryan Giggs selected a completely different XI to the one that took to the field against Trinidad and Tobago in Wrexham on Wednesday night.

Such has been the changing of the guard under current boss Giggs, Hennessey, Ben Davies, Joe Allen and Gareth Bale - who captained the side in the absence of Ashley Williams who was left on the bench - were the only members of Wales' memorable Euro 2016 campaign to start in Cardiff.

And there were first competitive international starts for central defender James Lawrence and winger James.

Slovakia meanwhile were unchanged from their 2-0 qualifying win over Hungary on Thursday night.

A packed Cardiff City Stadium crowd basked in the sunshine in scenes that were reminiscent of the historic 2-1 triumph over the Slovakians in Bordeaux almost three years ago.

But the first opening of the game fell to the visitors as Rusnak cut inside before laying off to Denis Vavro, although the Copenhagen man blazed well over from 20 yards out.

However, the Red Wall soon erupted as Harry Wilson and David Brooks combined superbly on the right, and after the latter had lost the ball, James robbed Peter Pekarik of possession before drilling home his first international goal from the edge of the area to give Wales the lead.

Giggs' troops brimmed with confidence after that opener, pressing Pavel Hapal's side at every opportunity.

The visitors struggled to cope with the likes of Brooks, Bale and James, with Robert Mak earning a booking after fouling Connor Roberts after just 15 minutes.

Slick in possession at the back and tenacious in midfield, Wales remained relatively untroubled.

And a large number of those in the stands were on their feet again as Wales worked a free-kick wide to Ben Davies who picked out Brooks in the box, although the Bournemouth star's shot rippled the side netting.

After a somewhat sluggish start, Slovakia grew into the match as the first half wore on and had a decent opportunity to get back on level terms as Juraj Kucka burst into the 18-yard box, although the experienced Parma man's shot was well blocked by Lawrence.

But after a lengthy spell of possession, they failed to test Hennessey once.

And Wales' pace continued to cause problems on the counter attack, with Vavro collecting a yellow card for a cynical foul on James after slick hold up play by Bale.

To their credit, Wales' attacking quartet of James, Brooks, Wilson and Bale did a real shift defensively to ease the load on the impressive central midfield duo of Allen and Matt Smith.

And after withstanding a decent spell of pressure from the away side, Wales clicked into gear again as Connor Roberts linked up with Brooks who left two Slovakian defenders for dead before curling a left-footed effort wide of the mark.

James continued to get in behind the visitors' defence and earned his side a corner just before the break, although Bale couldn't test Martin Dubravka with a header from Smith's cross as Wales went into the break a goal to the good.

Neither side managed to get a fill grip on proceedings immediately after the restart, although Bale had another half chance in the air after Roberts picked out the Real Madrid man with a floated cross into the area.

But the Slovakians had a golden opportunity to make it 1-1 as Mak split the Wales defence to send Rusnak through on goal, although the Slovakian's shot struck Hennessey in the face before rebounding off his own body as the hosts were left off the hook.

Slovakia continued to cause problems and saw David Hancko head over the bar from a corner before Mak's tame shot was comfortably dealt with by Hennessey.

Although Wales should have doubled their advantage on the hour mark as James left Pekarik in his wake once again before squaring to Wilson who was unmarked in the box, but the Derby ace couldn't keep his strike on target.

Hapal knew something had to change, and the Slovakia coach sent on Duris and Miroslav Stoch in place of Ondrej Duda and Mak while Tyler Roberts and Williams were sent on for Brooks and James.

Connor Roberts stung the palms of Dubravka from Bale's teasing cross with 15 minutes left on the clock while the latter failed to replicate his stunning free-kick against the same opposition at Euro 2016 soon after.

The hosts dropped deeper in a bid to shutout the opposition after Rusnak blazed well over, with the Welsh contingent of the 31,617-strong crowd belting out Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau to rally their troops for the final stages.

The Red Wall had their hearts in their mouths in the 83rd minute as substitute Duris forced Hennessey into a smart save with a close range header, and Hancko fluffed his lines with the goal at his mercy from the rebound.

Pekarik headed into the side netting with five minutes to go as Will Vaulks was sent on in place of Wilson.

But the Red Dragons held on after surviving a late handball scare to get their qualifying campaign off to a dream start.

Wales: Hennessey; C Roberts, Mepham, J Lawrence, B Davies; Allen, Smith; Wilson (Vaulks 86), Brooks (T Roberts 60), James (Williams 72); Bale (C).

Subs not used: Ward, A Davies, Gunter, Dummett, John, Matondo, Hedges, Woodburn, G Thomas.

Goal: James 5

Yellow cards: Allen 53, Brooks 60

Slovakia: Dubravka; Pekarik (Safranko 90), Vavro, Skriniar, Hancko; Kucka, Lobotka; Rusnak, Hamsik (C), Mak (Stoch 69); Duda (Duris 65).

Subs not used: Kozacik, Rodak, Stetina, Satka, Gregus, Mihalik, Bero, Hrosovsky, Chrien.

Yellow cards: Mak 15, Vavro 31, Lobotka 41, Duris 69, Hamsik 86, Stoch 90+2, Kucka 90+4

Attendance: 31,617

Referee: Mr Felix Zwayer (Germany)
Attachments
0_JS178295496.jpg
0_JS178295496.jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Wales made a dream start to their Euro 2020 qualifying c

Postby nins27 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:17 pm

boring no atmosphere and very lucky to get all 3 points , but a wins a win
nins27

Postby since64 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:11 pm

nins27 wrote:boring no atmosphere and very lucky to get all 3 points , but a wins a win

Bloody hell perhaps you should start supporting England :lol:
since64

Postby since64 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:12 pm

nins27 wrote:boring no atmosphere and very lucky to get all 3 points , but a wins a win

Bloody hell perhaps you should start supporting England :lol:
since64

Postby jamie ccfc bluebirds » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 pm

Boring? Are you sure you was watching the same ass us the game end to end both teams going for it and as for the atmosphere you must be death or something. Go take your negativity somewhere else
jamie ccfc bluebirds

Postby BluebirdWhitchurch » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:17 am

Have to give credit to Giggs where it’s due, leaving Ashley Williams out was a big (and correct) call. As much as the fans slag Williams off he seemed pretty ingrained into the system deservedly or not
BluebirdWhitchurch

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:27 pm

I suppose people look at games differently but I certainly didn't find it boring at all. Really enjoyed it actually, love the way we tried to harass them and use our pace, really should have got a couple more goals and probably a tad lucky at the end not to concede but to be expected in a tough game. Bit of work to do defensively but with an average age of the outfield players of under 23 I think its an exciting time ahead.
2blue2handle

Postby HarriRhys22 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:13 pm

I found it embarrassing that as the Capital of Wales/only Premier League club and the game played at our Stadium that we had NO players in the Wales squad and the Jacks had two in the team,just shows that our Academy has been a complete waste of time and money in the last 10years?
HarriRhys22

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:05 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:I found it embarrassing that as the Capital of Wales/only Premier League club and the game played at our Stadium that we had NO players in the Wales squad and the Jacks had two in the team,just shows that our Academy has been a complete waste of time and money in the last 10years?

I dont think much talent has come through our Academy in the last 10 years and that needs to be looked at but i also havent seen any manager since Dave Jones give any young welsh academy players a chance. I thought the best time to do it was when we were cost cutting under Slade and instead of signing crap players from league 1 (Eoin Doyle, Alex Revell, etc) we should have given some youngster a go. Even under Warnock their doesnt seem to be any level of trust in our youngsters. I mean we keep looking for a RB, id like to see Cameron Coxe given a few games in cups and given an opportunity next season if we're in the championship as he's massively rated by Wales youth coaches and youve got Dan Griffiths and Issac Davies who've been on fire this season along with Sion Spence who's highly rated yet i dont ever see them getting a chance with us. I sometimes wonder if Rabbi Matondo would have been given a chance under us as well which says a lot about the path from unders 18's to 23's to the first team.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:03 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:I found it embarrassing that as the Capital of Wales/only Premier League club and the game played at our Stadium that we had NO players in the Wales squad and the Jacks had two in the team,just shows that our Academy has been a complete waste of time and money in the last 10years?

You must get embarrest easily.
2blue2handle

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Swansea had seven years at top level and everyone saying what a great academy they got and yet only 2 players from there make this wales side ? We've had second rate academy for years so hardly surprising our youngsters not talented enough. Anyway its about the team not who came from where.
English rugby fans must be doubly embarrassed half their side not even english :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby dogfound » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:51 pm

its not through choice those 2 have been given the chance by them. they had to sell or loan out the majority of last years 25man squad to try and keep the wolves from the door and bring through the kids .

if the choice is be in a financial sink hole but have 2 in the national team or be us.. I choose be us.
dogfound

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Good Start .
TopCat CCFC

Postby Bridgend_bluebird » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:05 am

I thought the lads did Brill. The youngsters in particular, were talking 18/19 year olds with a level of confidence on the ball they had, was insane. Could've put a few past them, thought the slovaks were dirty but are a decent team. As for the atmosphere, it was ok not the best, seem to sing the same few songs but it helped the players I'm sure.

The drum however, needs to go.
Win or lose I'll Be there with my ticket and a pint!
Bridgend_bluebird

Postby maccydee » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:51 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Swansea had seven years at top level and everyone saying what a great academy they got and yet only 2 players from there make this wales side ? We've had second rate academy for years so hardly surprising our youngsters not talented enough. Anyway its about the team not who came from where.
English rugby fans must be doubly embarrassed half their side not even english :thumbup:

Yet only two players?

Plus two who have played for the Jacks in Joe Allen and Ben Davies. Plus Williams on the bench.

Only two players with Cardiff first team history in squad. Declan John and Gunter. Obviously Rambo would have been there too.

Poor fare on our part and Giggs was right to say it recently.
maccydee

Postby dogfound » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:49 pm

maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yet only two players?

Plus two who have played for the Jacks in Joe Allen and Ben Davies. Plus Williams on the bench.

Only two players with Cardiff first team history in squad. Declan John and Gunter. Obviously Rambo would have been there too.

it swings like a pendulum we have more then they do..the players we have released over this period have not kicked on elsewhere so you just have to assume the talent is not about...?
dogfound

Postby maccydee » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:28 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yet only two players?

it swings like a pendulum we have more then they do..the players we have released over this period have not kicked on elsewhere so you just have to assume the talent is not about...?

It’s wales’ most successful period which was helped by the Jacks being in the premier I suppose.

I hope that we can spend a bit of time in the top league then it might happen for us too.
maccydee

Postby dogfound » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:24 pm

maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yet only two players?

It’s wales’ most successful period which was helped by the Jacks being in the premier I suppose.

I hope that we can spend a bit of time in the top league then it might happen for us too.

hmmm Joe Allens breakthrough came in the championship { think he might have played a couple in lge 1 } and their current youngsters are getting game time due to financial problems..so not sure about the prem bit...
I have always assumed the higher the level both clubs play at the more quality will be produced for our national team but 9 seasons of both teams being decent championship or higher seems to be proving me wrong...?
dogfound

Postby maccydee » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:41 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yet only two players?

hmmm Joe Allens breakthrough came in the championship { think he might have played a couple in lge 1 } and their current youngsters are getting game time due to financial problems..so not sure about the prem bit...
I have always assumed the higher the level both clubs play at the more quality will be produced for our national team but 9 seasons of both teams being decent championship or higher seems to be proving me wrong...?

Well the recent upturn in fortunes of the national side may suggest otherwise.
maccydee

Return to General Chat