Our potential and the South Wales Public.

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby RV Casual » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:01 am

When I was a child supporting Cardiff we were always labelled a sleeping giant and even though there is sometimes doubt over whether we are or not I honestly believe we could be as big as a Newcastle one day.

That's why this shot at the EPL and the next few weeks are massive for me. I really think if we stay up this Club can go from strength to strength, go down and I'm worried. Not for the long term future of the Club as I think we are in sensible hands, but in terms of support and etc we could be set back years.

Even as I sit here typing this now I look around my office and theres about 200 people on my floor, at least 70 are blokes and I'm the only Cardiff fan here amongst Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs etc. The talk this week is all Champions League. Imagine a time where we are an established top flight Club and these offices aew filled with Cardiff fans. Our Club would be huge.

That's the aim.
RV Casual

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Our potential and the South Wales Public.

Postby RV Casual » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:10 am

Ps.. I don't realy have a point or anything, it was just a random thought whilst sat at my desk lol
RV Casual

Postby epping blue » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:11 pm

RV Casual wrote:When I was a child supporting Cardiff we were always labelled a sleeping giant and even though there is sometimes doubt over whether we are or not I honestly believe we could be as big as a Newcastle one day.

That's why this shot at the EPL and the next few weeks are massive for me. I really think if we stay up this Club can go from strength to strength, go down and I'm worried. Not for the long term future of the Club as I think we are in sensible hands, but in terms of support and etc we could be set back years.

Even as I sit here typing this now I look around my office and theres about 200 people on my floor, at least 70 are blokes and I'm the only Cardiff fan here amongst Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs etc. The talk this week is all Champions League. Imagine a time where we are an established top flight Club and these offices aew filled with Cardiff fans. Our Club would be huge.

That's the aim.

Its got to be encouraging that getting on for 30,000 people are buying seats to watch the city on a regular basis. When we considered ourselves sleeping giants most would have probably though those as pretty giant like attendances.

It would be nice if the occupancy rates were higher. If you couldn't get to the game you had plenty of mates only too willing to keep your seat warm. But if Man City, on they're way to winning the league and the likes of Arsenal, fighting for a champions league spot are suffering from the same problem then I'm not sure what the answer is. Certainly the club are doing everything they can by keeping the cost of watching Cardiff astonishingly low.

Depressing that out of your cohort of 70 there's only 1 following the local club, given our relative success levels in the last 10 years.

We still seem to struggle with the corporate support of South Wales, who seem much more willing to spend their dwindling entertainment budgets at the Principality stadium. It would need continued participation at this level to alter that mindset significantly.

On the upside has to be the continued development of Cardiff. 40K homes under construction or in planning will result in population growth of maybe 100k. Surely thats going to going to put a good few bums on seats.

All in all the future's promising for the Cardiff City supporting public of South Wales.
epping blue

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:54 pm

RV Casual wrote:When I was a child supporting Cardiff we were always labelled a sleeping giant and even though there is sometimes doubt over whether we are or not I honestly believe we could be as big as a Newcastle one day.

That's the aim.

Your thoughts and beliefs were exactly like mine :bluebird: :bluebird:

I grew up in the 70's the only Cardiff fans in a Cardiff School, who supported Cardiff City, they all supported Liverpool, Leeds and Man United in School, but I always believed and dreamed we could one day be in top flight football, have big crowds and be as big as them.

Part of my dream/beliefs came true when Malky took us to wembley and we drew 2-2 with Liverpool in the League Cup Final :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

We had finally made it on the big stage in my opinion and held the Mighty Liverpool, My oldest daughter walked out of the ground with me and said Daddy, we drew with Liverpool they could not beat us, I had a tear in my eye as I had hated Liverpool all through my school days :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:55 pm

:bluebird: :bluebird: " CARDIFF CITY PREMIER LEAGUE 2018-19 " :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Aug 11 - AFC Bournemouth 2 Cardiff City 0 :cry: Crowd 10,353 Away Support(1,211).

Sat Aug 18 - Cardiff City 0 Newcastle United 0 :thumbright: Crowd 30,720 Away Support (2,157 )

Sat Aug 25 - Huddersfield Town 0 Cardiff City 0 :? Crowd 21,193 Away Support ( 2,261 )

Tuesday Aug 28th Cardiff City 1 Norwich City 3 :cry: :o Crowd 6,953 Away Support ( 382 )

Sunday Sep 2 - Cardiff City 2 Arsenal 3 :cry: Crowd 32,316 Away ( 3,119 )

Sat Sep 15 - Chelsea 4 Cardiff City 1 :cry: :cry: Crowd 40,499 Away( 2,924)

Sat Sep 22 - Cardiff City 0 Manchester City 5 :cry: :cry: Crowd 32,321 Away( 2,968 )

Sunday Sep 30th - Cardiff City 1 Burnley 2 :cry: :cry: Crowd 30,411 Away (718)

Sat Oct 6 - Tottenham Hotspur 1 Cardiff City 0. Crowd 43,268 Away Support (3,144)

Sat Oct 20 - Cardiff City 4 Fulham 2 Crowd 29,681 :bluebird: :bluebird: Away Support(1,840 )

Sat Oct 27 - Liverpool 4 Cardiff City 1 :cry: Crowd 53,373 Away Support( 2,936 )

Sat Nov 3 - Cardiff City 0 Leicester City 1 :cry: :cry: Crowd 30,877 Away Support ( 3,128 )

Sat Nov 10 - Cardiff City 2 Brighton & Hove Albion 1 :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: Crowd 29,402 Away Support(2,511 )

Sat Nov 24 - Everton 1 Cardiff City 0 Crowd 39,139 Away( 2,792 )

Friday Nov 30 Cardiff City 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 :thumbright: :bluebird: Crowd 30,230 Away Support(2.997)

Tue Dec 4 - West Ham United 3 Cardiff City 1 :cry: Crowd 56,840 Away Support(2,042 )

Sat Dec 8 - Cardiff City 1 Southampton 0 :thumbright: Crowd 30,067. Away ( 2,619)

Sat Dec 15 - Watford 3 Cardiff City 2 :cry: Crowd 20,032 Away Support (2,076)

Sat Dec 22 - Cardiff City 1 Manchester United 5 :cry: :cry: Crowd 33,028 Away Support (3,100 )

Wed Dec 26 - Crystal Palace 0 Cardiff City 0 :bluebird: Crowd 25,206 Away Support (1,700)

Sat Dec 29 - Leicester City 0 Cardiff City 1 :thumbright: :bluebird: Crowd 32,047 Away Support ( 2,246 )

Tue Jan 1 - Cardiff City 0 Tottenham Hotspur 3 :cry: :bluebird: Crowd 32,485 Away Support (3,016 )

Saturday Jan 5 Fac Cup 3rd Rd Gillingham 1 Cardiff City 0 :shock: :cry: :cry: Crowd 7,090 Away Support(642 )

Sat Jan 12 - Cardiff City 0 Huddersfield Town 0 :cry: Crowd 30,725 Away Support ( 1,129 )

Sat Jan 19 - Newcastle United 3 Cardiff City 0 :cry: Crowd 49,560 Away Support (1,628 )

Tue Jan 29 - Arsenal 2 Cardiff City 1 Crowd 59,933 Away Support (2,053)

Sat Feb 2 - Cardiff City 2 AFC Bournemouth 0 :bluebird: :bluebird: Crowd 32,936. Away Support (1,819)

Sat Feb 9 - Southampton 1 v Cardiff City 2 Crowd 31,438 Away Support (3.258 )

Friday Feb 22 - Cardiff City 1 Watford 5 :cry: :cry: 7:45pm Crowd 30,387 Away Support (1,891)

Tue Feb 26 - Cardiff City 0 Everton 3 :cry: :cry: Crowd 31,849 Away Support ( 2,960 )

Sat Mar 2 - Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 Cardiff City 0 :cry: Crowd 32,309 Away Support (2,961)

Sat Mar 9 - Cardiff 2 West Ham United 0 :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: Crowd 32,548 Away Support( 3,055 )

March 31 - Cardiff City 1 Chelsea 2 live on Sky Crowd 32,657 Away Support( 3,100)

Manchester City 2 Cardiff City 0 Crowd Away Support (710)

April 13 — Burnley v Cardiff City Crowd Away Support ( )

Tuesday April 16 - Brighton Away

April 21 — v Liverpool, Home

April 27 — v Fulham, Away

Sat May 4 — v Crystal Palace, Home now live tv at 5:30pm

Sunday May 12 — v Manchester United, Away

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Have consistent success and they wil come! But times have changed and wont be a quick thing but over time. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Danny Says » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Cardiff City have never really been a well supported club. Even when crowds were massive everywhere, City only managed 20,000 odd when they nearly made it in the old div 1 in 1971. Bar the odd European game and a random game v Hereford in 1976. All that talk of City being a sleeping giant has been made for years now and it will not happen.

Look at the crowds when the team went through the divisions in the 80's and 90's - 2-3,4,000.

Too many generations were lost and its inescapable that there are loads of plastic LFC, LUFC, MUFC etc fans as they follow their dad's team, who followed them as City were not worth watching when they started.

If City drop down this season there will be 17-20,000 home attendance next season and more if the team do well and then if we get back to the PL, they will be 30,000+ like this season.
Danny Says

Postby TERRYB » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

That's the aim.

I grew up in the 70's the only Cardiff fans in a Cardiff School, who supported Cardiff City, they all supported Liverpool, Leeds and Man United in School, but I always believed and dreamed we could one day be in top flight football, have big crowds and be as big as them.

Part of my dream/beliefs came true when Malky took us to wembley and we drew 2-2 with Liverpool in the League Cup Final :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

We had finally made it on the big stage in my opinion and held the Mighty Liverpool, My oldest daughter walked out of the ground with me and said Daddy, we drew with Liverpool they could not beat us, I had a tear in my eye as I had hated Liverpool all through my school days :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I remember that day at Wembley so well Annis, and I have never felt more proud to be a Cardiff fan than on that day, walked out of the stadium with head held high and all the City fans singing, so proud. :bluescarf:
TERRYB

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

That's the aim.

Even in the 90s I was pretty much the only Cardiff fan at school.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Steve Zodiak » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:51 pm

I heard and read all about us being a sleeping giant throughout the fifty odd years I have been a supporter. We may be a decent size club but I think the sleeping giant but is pushing things a bit far. Ninian Park could hold around 50k or so in my earlier days as a fan, but I can only really remember one time that we got anywhere close to that, and that was for the Real Madrid game. I have said for a long time that if we are in the second tier we will average anywhere between 12k and 20k or so depending on whether or not we are challenging for promotion, and we will usually get around 30k or so in the top flight. Those of us who have been around long enough know what we will get if we are struggling in the bottom two divisions, and the less said about those sort of gates the better.
Steve Zodiak

Postby RV Casual » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:10 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

That's the aim.

Same, we were the odd ones out but it's come so far since, loads of the lads I was in school with became Cardiff fans during the Valley Ram days and are regulars now.

I think we are averaging 30,000 now and that is with all the offices, pubs etc still being full of fans of other Clubs.

If we could become established over 10 years I think we could realistically get 50,000 a week, it's just staying there for a bit. If we go down be back to 18-20,000 it will be an opportunity lost (again).

Fingers crossed the boys can pull it out of the bag.
RV Casual

Postby RV Casual » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I heard and read all about us being a sleeping giant throughout the fifty odd years I have been a supporter. We may be a decent size club but I think the sleeping giant but is pushing things a bit far. Ninian Park could hold around 50k or so in my earlier days as a fan, but I can only really remember one time that we got anywhere close to that, and that was for the Real Madrid game. I have said for a long time that if we are in the second tier we will average anywhere between 12k and 20k or so depending on whether or not we are challenging for promotion, and we will usually get around 30k or so in the top flight. Those of us who have been around long enough know what we will get if we are struggling in the bottom two divisions, and the less said about those sort of gates the better.

Do you not think Steve, that if we could establish ourselves in the Premier League we could not grow to a regular gate of say 40-50,000? It's only another 10-15000 on top of what we are getting now and the market is definitely out there.

As for the crowds from old, yes most of us can remember and God forbid we ever return to that, it was bad enough at Ninian Park would be even worse in our current home.
RV Casual

Postby Steve Zodiak » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:24 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:I heard and read all about us being a sleeping giant throughout the fifty odd years I have been a supporter. We may be a decent size club but I think the sleeping giant but is pushing things a bit far. Ninian Park could hold around 50k or so in my earlier days as a fan, but I can only really remember one time that we got anywhere close to that, and that was for the Real Madrid game. I have said for a long time that if we are in the second tier we will average anywhere between 12k and 20k or so depending on whether or not we are challenging for promotion, and we will usually get around 30k or so in the top flight. Those of us who have been around long enough know what we will get if we are struggling in the bottom two divisions, and the less said about those sort of gates the better.

Do you not think Steve, that if we could establish ourselves in the Premier League we could not grow to a regular gate of say 40-50,000? It's only another 10-15000 on top of what we are getting now and the market is definitely out there.

As for the crowds from old, yes most of us can remember and God forbid we ever return to that, it was bad enough at Ninian Park would be even worse in our current home.

I guess it's possible RV, and would be good to see us as an established top flight side with big crowds. I have my doubts as to us getting much more than we do at the present time, and I have even bigger doubts about us being an established PL side in my lifetime. At least I have witnessed two seasons at the top, although I did not actually attend any games the first time we were there due to the red shirt fiasco. To be honest, I had almost given up hope of ever seeing Cardiff play top level football, I was wrong there so I may be wrong about our crowds as well. Be good to see us staying at the top to see if we can drag some local fans away from following Liverpool & Man U.
Steve Zodiak

Postby smakerzthebluebird » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:23 pm

I think there’s more to it than just becoming established in the premier league granted the lure of big teams gets bums on seats but it’s a generation thing too

Most lads through my time growing up were Man Utd and Liverpool fans down here, never felt right for me and I fell in love with the city when I walked on that pitch as a young lad of 7 playing like the kids do at half time my club also watched a few games a season via coach trips in the old division 3 and that’s where the passion has to come from I never forgot that day on the pitch or those trips with the other lads in my local club

My family were all Liverpool fans really and I broke the mound by falling in love with the club from those memories as a young boy that’s how you change mindsets imo, imagine giving free tickets to local clubs every game so that other 7:8 year olds can experience matchdays for free (almost) that’s how you shape a future along with success of course but me and 6/7 other lads from that local football club all still go to games now regardless of who our families support

I think of it a bit like voting most of the Welsh valleys are staunch labour because their parents were and their parents before that football support is very similar it’s all about getting he younger generations to experience football live early and fall in love with cardiff city for me opinions and beliefs tough to change in the valleys but it can be done

Love to see young lads having days or with their dads can’t wait until my nephew is a little older to bring with me
Founder of the forum whopper thread! Don't talk bollocks or you'll be added to the thread!!
smakerzthebluebird

Postby LovetheSwans » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:37 am

That's the aim.

As big as Newcastle ? Never. Newcastle can attract 50,000, regardless of how the team is doing.
Cardiff is in the same bracket as clubs like Bristol City, Swansea, etc, do well and the crowds will turn up, do badly and they disappear.
If you do manage to stay up, you could gain momentum and build for the future, but be as big as Newcastle, no chance.
LovetheSwans

Postby thomasblue » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:48 am

To grow the fanbase into the style of a Newcastle or a Leeds we need continued success and to be in the premier league for 10 years minimum.
That type of support is bread through the streets , schools and youth clubs. Cardiff would need to really up there game in regarding getting kids hooked om the footy at a young age.

We rely on premier league football and people wanting to watch BIG teams because this club is not ingrained in the community like a Liverpool or Newcastle.

If we became a top 6 team then I could certainly see 40k+

If we started getting the kids more and more involved through schools that will only get higher.

We have a old school fan base with a huge number of locals lost to rugby because over the last 30 years we have not worked hard enough to convert them and rugby did.
That's why we have so many local Man utd Liverpool Chelsea fans in South Wales. Cardiff just didn't attract the imagination of the kids through the 90s onwards.

How many peoples kids on here have ever come home from school with a voucher or invite to go and watch a Cardiff match ?
Last edited by thomasblue on Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
thomasblue

Postby fred keenor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:50 am

Newcastle are a big club, but when they were in doldrums in the 80s there were quite a few crowds of 13k at st james park.
For crowds to increase we need sustainability in the PL.

Unfortunately hearing of many who will go next season but picking and choosing their games so therefore not renewing their tickets.

Extremely disappointing as the club could not do more for prices.
Am I suprised .... No ... but you watch if we managed to pull it off they would soon return to purchase season tickets.
fred keenor

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:52 am

LovetheSwans wrote:

That's the aim.

As big as Newcastle ? Never. Newcastle can attract 50,000, regardless of how the team is doing.
Cardiff is in the same bracket as clubs like Bristol City, Swansea, etc, do well and the crowds will turn up, do badly and they disappear.
If you do manage to stay up, you could gain momentum and build for the future, but be as big as Newcastle, no chance.

Unfortunately I tend to agree with this version.
Most of the people I know are the typical Man U, Liverpool armchair ‘fans’ and I can’t imagine Newcastle having many of these dicks in their City.
Obviously we would grow if we had an extended period in the Prem, but Newcastle? No way. It’s a bloody religion up there.
Here it seems I’m surrounded by plastic armchair Premier ‘fans’ and pretend rugby ‘fans’.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby RV Casual » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:45 am

LovetheSwans wrote:

That's the aim.

Well we arnt doing to bad as we are attracting 31,500 and have been in the relegation zone for most of the season, been uncompetitive in lots of games and it's only our second season in the top flight in 55 years

We are the 13th best supported Club in the country and there are still lost generations and pubs and offices full of fans of their thee Clubs. So for me the potential is absolutely there.

Newcastle have spent the majority of their life in the top division and never been out of the top 2 divisions.

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever that if Cardiff sustained themselves in the Premier League for a 5-10 year period why we couldnt/wouldn't add another 10-15,000 on the gate. We could have already sold 40,000 for the big games this season easily.
RV Casual

Postby billy ronson » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:02 am

Growing up , there was MOTD and The Big Match highlights, only live games tended to be internationals,FA Cup and European /ECWC/UEFA CUP finals. Weekend games were Saturday 3pm :old:

Life is different now , games are played all over weekend from Friday night to Monday night and available from the comfort of your home or pub ! Not only that , there are streams available meaning you can watch your own team live every game , no worries about making travel plans, parking , buying tickets ...... :(

Anyway I have renewed and am looking forward to the remaining games , would love it if we stayed up ?, :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
I'm free to be
Whatever I, whatever I choose
And I'll sing the blues if I want
billy ronson

Postby LovetheSwans » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:07 am

RV Casual wrote:
LovetheSwans wrote:

That's the aim.

Well we arnt doing to bad as we are attracting 31,500 and have been in the relegation zone for most of the season, been uncompetitive in lots of games and it's only our second season in the top flight in 55 years

We are the 13th best supported Club in the country and there are still lost generations and pubs and offices full of fans of their thee Clubs. So for me the potential is absolutely there.

Newcastle have spent the majority of their life in the top division and never been out of the top 2 divisions.

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever that if Cardiff sustained themselves in the Premier League for a 5-10 year period why we couldnt/wouldn't add another 10-15,000 on the gate. We could have already sold 40,000 for the big games this season easily.

The same could be said of Nottingham forest, Derby, Portsmouth, West Brom, Bristol city, Coventry, Stoke, Sunderland, Plymouth, both Sheffield clubs, Preston, Hull etc, even Swansea can attract big support when the conditions are right. And that’s the problem there are many, many clubs that could potentially attract big crowds if the conditions are right. As for Newcastle, they are already a big club and that’s without them archiving virtually nothing for decades.
LovetheSwans

Postby moonboots » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:56 am

That's the aim.

Disappointing numbers in your office. I live 20 miles away from Cardiff and there are at least 5 City fans in 3 neighbouring streets and plenty more nearby. I agree though our potential could be huge. But we need to stay up and establish ourselves for a generation. Then we'd have kids in schools who only talk about Cardiff City rather than the top 6 etc. I still know several Leeds fans ffs! To achieve this it will take a load of sensible investment...more than Vinny has I fear.
moonboots

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:01 am

TERRYB wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

That's the aim.

I remember that day at Wembley so well Annis, and I have never felt more proud to be a Cardiff fan than on that day, walked out of the stadium with head held high and all the City fans singing, so proud. :bluescarf:

Terry, absolutely, a very proud day :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:08 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

That's the aim.

Sad really, I believe it will have improved beyond nowadays :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sven » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
LovetheSwans wrote:

That's the aim.

Unfortunately I tend to agree with this version.
Most of the people I know are the typical Man U, Liverpool armchair ‘fans’ and I can’t imagine Newcastle having many of these dicks in their City.
Obviously we would grow if we had an extended period in the Prem, but Newcastle? No way. It’s a bloody religion up there.
Here it seems I’m surrounded by plastic armchair Premier ‘fans’ and pretend rugby ‘fans’.

Paul, first of all I have noted the irony of 'LovetheSwans' coming on here talking about crowd potential and mocking his capital city club's potential to increase its support should they ever gain a sustained period in the Premier League. It's possible but unlike Swansea who have actually proven it cannot be done at their stadium, it remains to be seen

But, I have to say I agree with your comments above (so by default 'LovetheSwans') that whilst our crowds might increase, a Newcastle United we will never be. I go to the North East (mainly Durham but also Newcastle and Sunderland) quite a lot and football is a religion to those people

They literally love and breathe the game and their recent sojourns into League One prove that with both Newcastle (last time there) and Sunderland (this very season) averaging well over 30k attendances in what is the third division (someone referred to our averages in that division 'back in the day' somewhere above)

You and I both know they really were that low at Ninian Park, as we were there and those who stayed until the end of the games used to take it in turns to lock up on the way out in exchange for a free 'Betta' Pie! :laughing6:

My late grandad (a Bristolian who played for Rovers) when asked if he'd like to come down the City used to retort "Why should I? The never come to see me when I'm bad!" and in those days (unlike now) he had a point! :lol:

People pertaining to 'support' other clubs they have likely have never seen in action (other than at NP, the CCS or modernly on Satellite TV) is pretty much a joke in my eyes and ironically, Newcastle United (under Kevin Keegan) were amongst those 'shirts worn in every town/city' at one stage

Personally, I'm over the moon with the support Cardiff City have had over the last few seasons and (banter and trouble makers apart) every supporter should be welcome to the stadium and on the whole I feel that are. But as big as I believe we can become under the right steerage (and Neil Warnock and an onside Vincent Tan could be the catalyst of that) we cannot become a 'Newcastle United' (they have won four League Championship titles, six FA Cups and a Charity Shield, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup) on passion and commitment grounds alone

The South Wales public (referred to in the OP) on the whole are simply not committed enough 'at all times' for that to happen
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby RV Casual » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:40 pm

LovetheSwans wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
LovetheSwans wrote:

That's the aim.

The same could be said of Nottingham forest, Derby, Portsmouth, West Brom, Bristol city, Coventry, Stoke, Sunderland, Plymouth, both Sheffield clubs, Preston, Hull etc, even Swansea can attract big support when the conditions are right. And that’s the problem there are many, many clubs that could potentially attract big crowds if the conditions are right. As for Newcastle, they are already a big club and that’s without them archiving virtually nothing for decades.

I'm not sure what the relevance is? I'm not talking about any other Clubs potential, I'm talking about Cardiff Citys's, on a Cardiff City Forum.

I'm not disputing that any of tjose other clubs also have potential but I'm talking about 'us', otherwise the thread would have been titled, 'Clubs with potential'.
RV Casual

Postby Isawgarystevensscoreagoal » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:57 am

My journey similar. We've always competed for fans with the likes of ManUtd and Liverpool. The overwhelming majority of those don't attend matches and are convertible. I hard core fan proper fan who spends his money and his time will never change allegiance.

We also compete with rugby.

These factors are though the same everywhere to varying degrees. There are man Utd fans and rugby fans in Newcastle and Leeds.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were established top six side we would need a staadium bigger than St James Park, but that's years away if ever.

PsG have next to no football tradition but have been transformed by the ambition.

Our sensible aim should be to becoming an established premier league club. That's not unrealistic

No one outside of the top six can currently compete with the top six.

But we should be more than able to compete with Watford, Bournemouth, Wolves, Palace, Leicester etc.

This season is a wonderful chance to stay in this division but everything is contriving against us.

Newcastle in turmoil, as West Ham have been before steadying the ship. Burnley, Huddersfield aren't Premier league outfits and Fulham have tried to build on sand. The likes of Leeds, Villa and Sunderland, even Derby and Forrest are much bigger far forces than many of our premier league oppos and we are not having to compete with them this season.

Let's hope we get some rub of the green starting on Tuesday night as we deserve our place.
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal

Postby dogfound » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:51 pm

LovetheSwans wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
LovetheSwans wrote:

That's the aim.

well not really..forest had a smaller average the year they won the european cup than we have this season...coventry managed 19 consecutive top flight years with avverages of less than 20k , Stoke for all theirt top tier seasons have only EVER managed an average higher than ours this season once { the first season after the war } plymouth,hull and preston waw..you lot waw times about a million..
dogfound

Return to General Chat