Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result be of Liverpool v Cardiff City?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:55 pm

Cardiff City win
41%
Liverpool win
35%
Draw
24%

Total votes : 37

MATCH THREAD: “ CARDIFF CITY v LIVERPOOL “ MATCH THREAD

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:55 pm

CARDIFF CITY v LIVERPOOL
Sunday 21st April 2019, 4pm
Premier League
Cardiff City Stadium

CARDIFF CITY:
Neil Etheridge, Lee Peltier ,Bruno Manga ,Sean Morrison ,Joe Bennett
Aron Gunnarsson , Joe Ralls ,Victor Camarasa ,Junior Hoilett ,Nathaniel Mendez-Laing Oumar Niasse

Subs:
Brian Murphy ,Greg Cunningham ,Leandro Bacuna ,Kadeem Harris
Josh Murphy,Bobby Decordova-Reid Kenneth Zohore

SOLD OUT 33,000 :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Incl 3,100 Liverpool fans.

Aron Gunnarsson has suffered with a back spasm this week.

Callum Paterson (ankle), who scored Cardiff’s goal in their 4-1 defeat at Anfield in October, and Sol Bamba (knee) are long-term absentees.

19/04/19 TEAM NEWS:

CARDIFF CITY:

​Cardiff midfielder ​Harry Arter missed the victory to Brighton and Neil Warnock revealed post-match that the 29-year-old picked up a calf injury while running off to be substituted last weekend, so won't be fit for the Liverpool game, Warnock says it will be Fulham when After returns.

Aron Gunnarsson was substituted shortly after half-time on Tuesday but the Bluebirds boss has allayed concerns that it is anything serious, with the Iceland international expected to be fit on Sunday.

LIVERPOOL:

Liverpool hope to be at full strength for Sunday afternoon's Premier League meeting with Cardiff City, with Dejan Lovren back in contention.

The Reds came through the midweek Champions League win at FC Porto, which Lovren missed due to illness, without sustaining any fresh injuries.

Joe Gomez and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are both in good condition with Klopp admitting it’s good to have them back in training.

Dejan Lovren is available for this weekend’s trip to Cardiff.

Neil Warnock:

Harry Arter just nicked his calf, believe it or not, running off when he was substituted. There are some silly injuries out there.
So he had a scan and he might struggle for Sunday but he should be alright for Fulham.

160F122C-FDD2-4A7D-89AA-9CC7C056EA36.jpeg

I can’t get to Cardiff City Stadium, is the match on TV?

Yes, the match is live on Sky Sports.

About Liverpool

Liverpool Football Club is a professional football club in Liverpool, England, that competes in the Premier League, the top tier of English football. The club has won 5 European Cups, more than any other English club, 3 UEFA Cups, 3 UEFA Super Cups, 18 League titles, 7 FA Cups, a record 8 League Cups, and 15 FA Community Shields.

Founded in 1892, the club joined the Football League the following year and has played at Anfield since its formation. Liverpool established itself as a major force in English and European football in the 1970s and 1980s when Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley led the club to 11 League titles and seven European trophies. Under the management of Rafael Benítez and captained by Steven Gerrard, Liverpool became European champions for the fifth time in 2005.

Liverpool was the ninth highest-earning football club in the world in 2016–17, with an annual revenue of €424.2 million, and the world's eighth most valuable football club in 2018, valued at $1.944 billion. The club is one of the best supported teams in the world. Liverpool has long-standing rivalries with Manchester United and Everton.

The club's supporters have been involved in two major tragedies: the Heysel Stadium disaster, where escaping fans were pressed against a collapsing wall at the 1985 European Cup Final in Brussels, with 39 people – mostly Italians and Juventus fans – dying, after which English clubs were given a five-year ban from European competition, and the Hillsborough disaster in 1989, where 96 Liverpool supporters died in a crush against perimeter fencing.

The team changed from red shirts and white shorts to an all-red home strip in 1964 which has been used ever since. The club's anthem is "You'll Never Walk Alone".

Previous Meeting

We lost 4-1 at Anfield in October. Sadio Mane scored two goals as Mohamed Salah and Xherdan Shaqiri also scored. Callum Paterson got our consolation goal.

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Peltier, Manga, Morrison, Bennett, Gunnarsson, Ralls, Camarasa, Hoilett, Mendez-Laing, Niasse

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, Matip, Robertson, Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Mane, Salah, Firmino

Form - Last Three Games

Brighton & Hove Albion 0-2 Cardiff City
Burnley 2-0 Cardiff City
Manchester City 2-0 Cardiff City

FC Porto 1-4 Liverpool
Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea
Liverpool 2-0 FC Porto

Match Odds

Cardiff City - 14/1
Liverpool - 2/11
Draw - 11/2

Predictions

Post your predictions below :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LATEST NEWS “ CARDIFF CITY v LIVERPOOL “ MATCH THREAD

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:16 am

:bluebird:

Updated :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 am

Neil Warnock: “It’ll be brilliant. We’ll be playing against one of the best teams in the world who are going for the Premier League title - it’ll be a great occasion."

"We’re certainly not in it to make up the numbers.”

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:40 am

Can't see Liverpool slipping up here and I think the bookies odds are about right. I think we will do well to keep it down to 3 or less goals. Afraid they are way ahead of us and should outclasss us in every area of the pitch. A point would be great, but unfortunately I doubt if we will get a sniff.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:55 am

SOLD OUT 33,000 :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Incl 3,100 Liverpool fans.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 am

Currently one of the best teams in the World, probably in the last four of the Champions League, it will be good if we can get a corner or two, I'm easily pleased.

I voted Cardiff win for a laugh and then realised four others thought we would win :o

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Great result against Brighton but I don't see us getting anything against Liverpool and reckon we'll struggle with the pace of Mane and Salah. Cardiff 1-3 Liverpool.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:47 pm

id be overjoyed if we took a point off em id prob pass out if we beat em head says liverpool win but u never know

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:51 pm

Martin Atkinson has the Cardiff City v Liverpool game this Sunday. Fourth Official David Coote.

Craig Pawson has Wolves v Brighton on Saturday. Fourth Official Simon Hooper.

Pawson refereed the Cardiff-Chelsea match.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:01 pm

Liverpool won 4-1 at FC Porto tonight in the Champions League.

They are due to fly back to the UK tomorrow.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:30 pm

This will probably be closer than most think.

Most teams struggle after champions league games

We are due a result against a big team

We are full of confidence

I can see us getting a point here, the problem Is I can also see us losing 4-0.

It all depends what liverpool turn up.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:30 am

thomasblue wrote:This will probably be closer than most think.

There hasn't been a poor Liverpool turn up all season ??

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:32 am

Just worried about Salah diving --

If we get done fair and square less than 4 goals diff then i can take it -- cant abide that guy diving

He is rather good though

1-3 i say

And as longs as Wolves decide to show some effort this time against Brighton- Not roll over like they have against Burnley and Southampton.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:31 am

Some deluded fans on here as pole stands atm a Cardiff win. Not a cat in hell's chance, me think heart is overpowering the head in this pole.
0:4

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:38 am

NIBluebird wrote:

There hasn't been a poor Liverpool turn up all season ??

well there is the Liverpool who have won 26 games in the league..
and the Liverpool who have lost 1 game in the league , at the Ethiad Versus Man City..
and they have not been poor.
we need everyone at their very best and lots of rub of the green.

Re: TEAM NEWS “ CARDIFF CITY v LIVERPOOL “ MATCH THREAD

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:48 am

Neil Warnock:

Harry Arter just nicked his calf, believe it or not, running off when he was substituted. There are some silly injuries out there.
So he had a scan and he might struggle for Sunday but he should be alright for Fulham.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Mafor wrote:Just worried about Salah diving --

If we get done fair and square less than 4 goals diff then i can take it -- cant abide that guy diving

He is rather good though

1-3 i say

And as longs as Wolves decide to show some effort this time against Brighton- Not roll over like they have against Burnley and Southampton.

Agree we need VAR asap to stop the big boys cheating :thumbup:

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Wow really ???

A point would be amazing, but I doubt we will get more than a couple of corners.......

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Neil Warnock:

Good rest him, big games coming up that are ten times more winnable.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Being incredibly optimistic but 2-2 :thumbup: Morrison to get a last min equaliser after out-jumping Van Dijk :thumbup:

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:11 pm

:bluebird:

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:59 am

Which Liverpool turns up is a bit of a nonsense!

More to the point is which Cardiff City turns up. I’m afraid a loss whatever though but would love to see Niasse score a 90th minute screamer. :laughing6:

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:03 am

I've had a feeling (and I accept I'm probably alone in this thought) that Liverpool will slip up in their chase for the title and we could be that slip.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Joe Gomez and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are both in good condition with Klopp admitting it’s good to have them back in training.

Dejan Lovren is available for this weekend’s trip to Cardiff.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:45 pm

TEAM NEWS
Cardiff City midfielder Harry Arter has been ruled out with the calf strain he sustained last weekend while running off the pitch to be substituted.

Aron Gunnarsson faces a late check on a back spasm, with Leandro Bacuna on standby to replace him.

Liverpool came through their midweek win at Porto without any new injuries.

Dejan Lovren should be fit after illness while Joe Gomez could start after making his return from a broken leg as a substitute in midweek.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:41 am

Cardiff City v Liverpool: Team news

Liverpool hope to be at full strength for Sunday afternoon's Premier League meeting with Cardiff City, with Dejan Lovren back in contention.

The Reds came through the midweek Champions League win at FC Porto, which Lovren missed due to illness, without sustaining any fresh injuries.

“Always after games a few players have slight, little problems but nothing really serious – so it should be OK, [they] should all be in,” said Jürgen Klopp at his pre-match press conference.

“Dejan was ill so he should be available again, we will see that.”

In addition to the 4-1 victory that wrapped up a 6-1 aggregate result against Porto, the Reds were buoyed by the return to action of Joe Gomez.

The No.12 played 24 minutes at Estadio do Dragao in his first senior appearance since suffering a lower leg fracture at Burnley in early December.

Asked if Gomez is in line for a start this weekend, Klopp replied: “We will see; we have a lot of players with a lot of rhythm, which is good, but it’s good to have him. It’s very important.

“It’s the same for Ox, it’s not about being ready and you come in immediately, because as long as the other players show no drop in form in training, we came [to this point] like this.

“But it’s very good to have them back and have them in contention.”

Cardiff manager Neil Warnock, meanwhile, doesn’t expect midfielder Harry Arter to recover from a calf injury in time to play against the Reds.

“I wouldn’t have thought so. He’s touch and go for Fulham, that’s what the physio told me,” said the Bluebirds boss, who also told the media that Aron Gunnarsson has suffered with a back spasm this week.

Callum Paterson (ankle), who scored Cardiff’s goal in their 4-1 defeat at Anfield in October, and Sol Bamba (knee) are long-term absentees.

On the test awaiting his side on Sunday, Warnock stated: “We realise the challenge but it’s an amazing game. Everyone’s talking about it so the atmosphere will be fabulous.

“We’ll just have to play the best we can and put in a good performance against one of the best sides in the world at the moment.”

Cardiff defender Lee Peltier played four games for Liverpool during the 2006-07 season, all in cup competitions.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:54 pm

1-1 :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:16 pm

The problem being Liverpool need the points every bit as much as Cardiff

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:42 pm

Etheridge

Peltier - Morrison - Ecuele Manga

Junior Bennett

Gunnarsson - Ralls

Camarasa Mendez-Laing
Niasse

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Working today, gutted to miss this game, but this isn't one that is going to make or break our season. Next week at Craven Cottage is massive. Still hopeful of us maybe nicking a point if we can keep it tight and frustrate them.

Etheridge
Peltier Moz Manga Bennett
NML Gunnar Camerasa Ralls Hoilett
Niasse