Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE INEPTITUDE LEAGUE TABLE.....City doing well !!

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:28 am

A good read. Staggering how many times we concede possession from our own throw in’s!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... ex-2018-19

Re: THE INEPTITUDE LEAGUE TABLE.....City doing well !!

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:27 am

A pretty poor article and hard to follow whilst pertaining to be amusing and failing massively :|

However, there are a couple of points in there that will resonate with some Bluebirds fans, i.e. that City cannot pass the ball to each other consistently (we give far too much 'free' ball to the opposition) and our throw-ins this season are ineffective against better quality and organised opposition

For me, the rest can be discarded, as the teams at the bottom will usually have the worst stats overall

The one I cannot agree with (stats or not) is about Neil Etheridge's distribution; albeit they recognise his superb shot-stopping

Neil Etheridge is hugely improved with his kicking this season and whilst he is subject to the odd 'mis-cue', we have to look at the circumstances that he finds himself under, i.e. the lack of a 'big' striker to aim for when Kenneth Zohore is out of the team and far too often the opposition centre backs have the freedom to head it back into our half (hence the stat) which is possibly more a tactical issue than a keeper issue?

As the article says, we can occasionally build up from the back :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:07 am

The reason we lose possession from throw ins is that they are aimed at Morrison's head which he rarely wins! Missed Passes goes without saying been like it for a couple if seasons. :o

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:44 am

They could paint says to show anyone being inept. They just chose ones that suited the 'humour' of the article and having us at the bottom. Probably the whole aim being another us v Brighton angle.

For example... Shots missed... Aguero would be worse than Paterson. He's missed more because he's attempted more. Does that make him inept?

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:53 am

I stopped paying attention when I realised they were deducting points for people taking their shirt off when celebrating. Which if anything is the least inept you can be as you’ve either just scored a late equaliser or winner for your club. Which is heroic rather than inept.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:58 am

We're inept at appealing. We've conceded two blatantly offside goals in recent weeks without so much as raising a hand.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:00 am

epping blue wrote:We're inept at appealing. We've conceded two blatantly offside goals in recent weeks without so much as raising a hand.

Even though we’ve got the most yellow cards for dissent, I think that’s your theory is more of a myth.
With regards to the offside goals I don’t think anyone realises at the time of Barnes apart from Etheridge.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:25 am

It does show how poor Etheridge's distribution is, hitting an opposition player far more often than one of ours.

Every other keeper hits their own players more often than opposition.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Aramore wrote:It does show how poor Etheridge's distribution is, hitting an opposition player far more often than one of ours.

Every other keeper hits their own players more often than opposition.

Knocking 60yrd ball or knocking 15yrd balls tp players wonder who's more accurate? :o

Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:31 pm

Sven wrote:A pretty poor article and hard to follow whilst pertaining to be amusing and failing massively :|

However, there are a couple of points in there that will resonate with some Bluebirds fans, i.e. that City cannot pass the ball to each other consistently (we give far too much 'free' ball to the opposition) and our throw-ins this season are ineffective against better quality and organised opposition

For me, the rest can be discarded, as the teams at the bottom will usually have the worst stats overall

The one I cannot agree with (stats or not) is about Neil Etheridge's distribution; albeit they recognise his superb shot-stopping

Neil Etheridge is hugely improved with his kicking this season and whilst he is subject to the odd 'mis-cue', we have to look at the circumstances that he finds himself under, i.e. the lack of a 'big' striker to aim for when Kenneth Zohore is out of the team and far too often the opposition centre backs have the freedom to head it back into our half (hence the stat) which is possibly more a tactical issue than a keeper issue?

As the article says, we can occasionally build up from the back :thumbright: :ayatollah:

lighten up

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:22 pm

the majority of throw ins are long throws and all our goal kicks are long. guess what , the longer the distance the less accurate...sort of forgivable for a kid not knowing how we play knocking an article out based purely on the stats infront of him...but someone that supports us not figuring it out in 3 years ? wow....inept indeed

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:49 pm

epping blue wrote:We're inept at appealing. We've conceded two blatantly offside goals in recent weeks without so much as raising a hand.

Spot on. The referee against Chelsea seemed to react as if he thought it was offside. He had a good long look at the linesman as if he was waiting for his flag. If we had been in the face of the referee he might have had a word with him and realised the linesman couldn't see it as William was in the way. He might have then realised it was his decision to make and gone with his instinct which I am sure was he thought it was offside. Can you imagine Chelsea would have accepted the goal as meekly as we did?