Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Off Topic - Wayne Hennessy quesiton

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:09 pm

In regards to Hennessy's Hitler / Nazi complaint.
I get the part about it was an impression of Hitler where he put his hand above his mustache and made a salute stance.

But why was there such a big deal about it, and why are people taking the high ground in regards to it, calling him all sorts.
I'm probably open here for abuse, but I'm confused about what the outrage about it was.

I didn't know doing a hitler impression was illegal, or even frowned upon really especially if it's just a comedy thing? Understand that Jewish people might be offended by it, but I still don't see how offending 'some' people who are sensitive about it (which I doubt anyone genuinely is, other than those who attention seek) is enough to warrent any sort of punishment?

Sorry if I'm out of touch with the world and if anyone's shocked by my opinion, but It baffles me how he can get in trouble for doing that?

Re: Off Topic - Wayne Hennessy quesiton

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:43 pm

[quote="Deep Blue FC"]In regards to Hennessy's Hitler / Nazi complaint.
I get the part about it was an impression of Hitler where he put his hand above his mustache and made a salute stance.

But why was there such a big deal about it, and why are people taking the high ground in regards to it, calling him all sorts.
I'm probably open here for abuse, but I'm confused about what the outrage about it was.

I didn't know doing a hitler impression was illegal, or even frowned upon really especially if it's just a comedy thing? Understand that Jewish people might be offended by it, but I still don't see how offending 'some' people who are sensitive about it (which I doubt anyone genuinely is, other than those who attention seek) is enough to warrent any sort of punishment?

Sorry if I'm out of touch with the world and if anyone's shocked by my opinion, but It baffles me how he can get in trouble for doing that?[/quote

Its called football and political correctnes! :thumbup:

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:55 pm

Yes I agree with the OT. A bit silly by WH but a lot of fuss about not a great deal.
By the way I also agreed with much of your comment about Kenneth Zahore in a separate thread :thumbup:

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:00 pm

I thought all the outrage was purely down to the ridiculous excuses he's made about it claiming he was pointing at Meyer to hurry up whilst putting his hand above his mouth to make the noise travel, I thought that was ridiculous enough but the fact he's claiming he didn't know about the Nazi's the salute and Germany is a joke tbh. He should have just said it was a joke between him and his German team mate and he probably wouldn't have got half the stick he's received and is going to get now.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:47 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:I thought all the outrage was purely down to the ridiculous excuses he's made about it claiming he was pointing at Meyer to hurry up whilst putting his hand above his mouth to make the noise travel, I thought that was ridiculous enough but the fact he's claiming he didn't know about the Nazi's the salute and Germany is a joke tbh. He should have just said it was a joke between him and his German team mate and he probably wouldn't have got half the stick he's received and is going to get now.

the excuse i agree was rediculous
but he was charged by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute which personally I thought was far more ridiculous.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:46 am

It's brought some quality news headlines mind... "Wayne Hennessey 'desperate' to learn about nazis" was on BBC sport today.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:08 am

Deep Blue FC wrote:In regards to Hennessy's Hitler / Nazi complaint.

Sorry if I'm out of touch with the world and if anyone's shocked by my opinion, but It baffles me how he can get in trouble for doing that?

Go into your place of work on Monday and do a nazi salute in front of everyone in your office and see what reaction you get!!

It would be a ridiculous thing to do and many people will be offended by it and I doubt whether your bosses would be impressed!!

Even more ridiculous is Hennessey claiming he didn’t know what a Nazi salute was ?? That I suggest is just a lie!!

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:17 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

Go into your place of work on Monday and do a nazi salute in front of everyone in your office and see what reaction you get!!

It would be a ridiculous thing to do and many people will be offended by it and I doubt whether your bosses would be impressed!!

Even more ridiculous is Hennessey claiming he didn’t know what a Nazi salute was ?? That I suggest is just a lie!!

Explain why a mocking gesture effectively taking the piss out of Hitler and Nazis would offend so many as you state.

Don't just say many will be offended explain why. It's a mocking of it, the hand over the mouth is mocking Hitler's crap moustache.

If Wayne was doing a serious Nazi salute like a white supremacist may then yes be outraged be offended but he's not a Nazi, he's not a white supremacist. He was a guy simply making a joke.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:34 am

WelshPatriot wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

Explain why a mocking gesture effectively taking the piss out of Hitler and Nazis would offend so many as you state.

Don't just say many will be offended explain why. It's a mocking of it, the hand over the mouth is mocking Hitler's crap moustache.

If Wayne was doing a serious Nazi salute like a white supremacist may then yes be outraged be offended but he's not a Nazi, he's not a white supremacist. He was a guy simply making a joke.

What,like the jokes some people were making of Sala you mean?

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:40 am

Visit Austwich concentration camp I'm Poland like I have and you might get some idea of why some people are offended and what Hitler's and his murdering henchmen done can never be used for joke material just my humble opinion

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:41 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

One is mocking the death of a young man in a tragic accident, one is mocking a sick twisted evil man....see the difference?

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:55 am

WelshPatriot wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

One is mocking the death of a young man in a tragic accident, one is mocking a sick twisted evil man....see the difference?

My point is to some people what Hennessy did was upsetting,maybe not so much to you but in the same way as the reaction you get mocking Sala in this part of the world compared to other parts.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:17 am

Anybody getting offended by what he did really needs to take a long hard look at themselves. There are far worse things going on In the world to dedicate your time to than moaning about a bloke having a joke with his mate (appropriate or not)

Its pathetic how much this has been blown out of proportion. The FA shouldn't even be involved, it did not happen on a football pitch so it is none of there buisness.
It's a matter for his club to have a quiet word about the impact some gestures can have on certain people and how they can be offensive.

That is it, no fine or punishment just a quiet word and education whilst he represents the club.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:25 am

Perhaps I'm being bit naieve but I personally believed his story, and that the photo was taking at an unfortunate moment.

If you have watched Wayne play, he does it a lot. I guess only he knows the truth but I'd prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:14 am

WelshPatriot wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

Doing a Nazi salute is not “taking the piss out of Hitler and the Nazis” though is it?? Most far right, racist groups will do it as a tribute to the Nazis and all they stood for!!

Whilst I do agree that probably the photograph is unfortunate and has almost certainly been taken out of context, the fact that a 30 year old man claims he didn’t know what a Nazi salute was and he had no idea it might offend some people defies belief!! Didn’t he go to school or read books or listen to the news??

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:42 am

Unbelievable how he got away with it.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:17 am

John Cleese does it on Fawlty Towers and its regarded as one of the all time classic comedy sketches. What is the difference? We really have lost our sense of proportion these days.

Hennessey's mistake was not to vigorously defend himself but to cow tow to the politically correct bigots who now seek to cut down anything they disagree with. The ironic thing is that it was this type of fear to stand up and defend free speech that enabled Hitler to flourish!

Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:29 am

He was found not guilty.

A panel who know and saw all the evidence and facts believed his story, as did his manager who knows his character and sees him daily.

Who needs a enemy's huh.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:37 am

RV Casual wrote:Perhaps I'm being bit naieve but I personally believed his story, and that the photo was taking at an unfortunate moment.

If you have watched Wayne play, he does it a lot. I guess only he knows the truth but I'd prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's a standard thing for goalies to do, not even that uncommon for a person to put their hand over their mouth then wave to get attention, hardly as much of a stretch that he was doing that as people are making out.

https://twitter.com/RobWelch2000/status ... 7476580352

Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:51 am

CityBlue93 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:Perhaps I'm being bit naieve but I personally believed his story, and that the photo was taking at an unfortunate moment.

It's a standard thing for goalies to do, not even that uncommon for a person to put their hand over their mouth then wave to get attention, hardly as much of a stretch that he was doing that as people are making out.

https://twitter.com/RobWelch2000/status ... 7476580352

My point and sentiments exactly mate, glad I'm not on my own.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:07 am

Found this on Twitter earlier

Paul Merson was asked yesterday on Sky why Watford appealed Deeneys red card.

Merson replied “why not? If someone got away with one by saying he didn’t know who Hitler was then they’ve got every chance”

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:47 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

no bigger a lie than all the faux offence in your office. try asking what they are offended about exactly...its not the generation that lived through the war or even the generation following that got mega offended by this sort of thing , its the new if im not offended a lot by anything and everything people will think im a bad person on twitter generation..
Wayne is not on a far right or more likely far left Nazi march. he is a GK out for a meal with team mates.