Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If we are relegated then what happens next season

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:34 am

I know Warnock's on board which is great news as there is no one better to try to take us back up but realistically what players will stay and go, we know how tough Championship life can be, but I think we would stand in good stead next season, especially as we will have money to spend, we have quality Championship players that will do well next season

Etheridge
Bamba
Morrison
Manga
Pelts
Ralls
Hoilett
Murphy
Reid
Zahore

Amongst others who are fringe players like Kadeem, Danny Ward .. I'd imagine a few players will leave for pastures new.

We've had a topsy turvy season but the players never give up and that's why I think we will be okay next season, main thing is Warnock is on board, can't fault his efforts and hunger for the game.

Re: If we are relegated then what happens next season

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:53 am

I think the title of your post should be 'when we get relegated'. My guess will be next weekend as Brighton will get a result against Newcastle and push it beyond us regardless of our result.
As for next season, we don't have a midfield. That will need completely rebuilding. Defensively we look solid enough but up front we are short too. We need to cut our losses and sell Zohore, pointless continuing to think he'll come good, he won't. We need to sort out the futures of Bogle and Madine who are still on our books too. There is a lot to do. However, if there is a positive and quick response to relegation in the transfer market we have every chance of challenging next season with Warnock in charge. The other two teams going down do not concern me and I don't see any of the clubs currently in the Championship as a major threat. i'd like to see Villa go up though.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:58 am

'IF' we go down we will lose Arter and Camarasa but other than I don't envisage anyone else of note leaving.

Iv always been against the 'bounce straight back up' philosophy as it seldom works like that, however, if Warnock stays and thar team stays together then we would have a bloody good chance of it.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:59 am

After, Camarasra and Niasee will go back to their clubs. Manga is out of contract and I'm sure if we go down he'll go elsewhere. O'Keefe will be released , as will Harris (He's only started about 5 games in two seasons), also Richards (same as Harris). I also worry some team will come in for Etheridge too. As said, Tomlin, Madine and Bogle have to come back from loans and they should all be moved on, if we can. Connolly has barely featured either for two seasons. Healey barely makes the bench and neither does Danny Ward.

So we'll need a massive influx of new players to cover that lot.....our midfield will be Ralls! We need a right back two centre back to cover for Managa and Connolly....and possibly Bamba may go too. Three of four midfielders and a striker or two to replace Madine, Bogle, healey and Ward.

The hard core of Etheridge, Peltier< Bennett, Cunningham, Morrison, Ralls, Bacuna, Hoilett, Mendez-Laing, Murphy, Reid, Zohore is not and base for a team but we'll need about 12 players to come in, less if we can't unload the deadwood.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:02 pm

We have a fantastic squad who were way underrated last time in the championship.
Get rid of deadwood in Tomlin,Madine and Bogle and 3 new midfielders and a top c/f
Ward is fine but like jazz is always injured.
We have damour to come back in as well , with NW at the helm we have a better chance of bouncing back than last time under Ollie who is now being found out.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:03 pm

And Patts will be good for a another 12 goals.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Unlike the OP, I think we need a big rebuild in the summer to compete next season and that applies if we stay up or get relegated.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:50 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Unlike the OP, I think we need a big rebuild in the summer to compete next season and that applies if we stay up or get relegated.

i think continuity is massive and was a huge part of our success last year and the cornerstone of us being able to give it as good a go as we have this season personally ..all transfers are gambles and as often as one works one will not , i think it likely we will lose gunner, victor, arter and niasse and maybe manga thats enough..

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:07 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:I think the title of your post should be 'when we get relegated'. My guess will be next weekend as Brighton will get a result against Newcastle and push it beyond us regardless of our result.
As for next season, we don't have a midfield. That will need completely rebuilding. Defensively we look solid enough but up front we are short too. We need to cut our losses and sell Zohore, pointless continuing to think he'll come good, he won't. We need to sort out the futures of Bogle and Madine who are still on our books too. There is a lot to do. However, if there is a positive and quick response to relegation in the transfer market we have every chance of challenging next season with Warnock in charge. The other two teams going down do not concern me and I don't see any of the clubs currently in the Championship as a major threat. i'd like to see Villa go up though.

If we win at Fulham we cannot be relegated next weekend - sorry to be a pedant! :)

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:16 pm

Despite what Arter has said about only signing for us if we stay up, I actually don't believe him, I think he'll sign if we go down, personally.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Even if the bulk of the squad stay and we are relegated we still need a 20 plus goals a season striker. If we stay up we still need a proven goal scorer. Midfield is also going to be a huge headache with potentially only Ralls from Saturday starting eleven still here. Neil has a lot of scouting to do.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Well 4 have gone before ball is kicked next season if we are relegated of course... if we are not will have to wait and see!

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:23 pm

We can build a really good Championship side if Tan gives Warnock the funds we didn't use this year to get in a couple of loan players from the Premier League and a couple of permanent signings. We must have made at least 20 million profit this year maybe 30 million. Quality not quantity is what's needed. We need two midfielders, a striker, possibly a CH if Manga goes and a right back. No cover signings as we have plenty of that. The players we sign should be the ones Warnock expects to be in for the opening game of the season.

Etheridge, Manga, Morrison, Bennett,Mendez Laing, Hoillet, Reid plus 4 new quality signings could be a really exiting side. Admittedly Warncok will have a to find the players but if he succeeds and you add in Patterson, Murphy, Zahore, Ward, Cunningham, Bamba, Peltier, Ralls and Smithies it would be a hell of a strong squad at Championship level.

And that would still leave most of the parachute payment to ensure we at least break even if we don't get back up because unlike some of the clubs that come down we wont have a squad full of players on silly wages.

Some of our likely rivals wont have the money to spend. Villa are going to have to go up this year or they will have to sell to meet FFP rules, Fulham will have to sell, Derby may have FFP issues.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:26 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:I think the title of your post should be 'when we get relegated'. My guess will be next weekend as Brighton will get a result against Newcastle and push it beyond us regardless of our result.

Did you watch wolves vs Brighton??? Only reason Brighton got a point was the fact wolves just couldn't hit the target no matter how many times they tried.

Newcastle have no such problem.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Next season I think we will need 6-8 new signings.

RB - Still need someone in that position if we're not gonna give Cameron Coxe a chance
CB - I believe we have a contract extension option on Manga from what Warnock has said but Bamba will be out for 6 months and I expect Connolly to leave for first team football.
CM - Need a replacement for Gunnarsson
CM - Need a replacement for Arter
CM - Need a replacement for Camarasa
Winger - Possibly a loan or free to replace Kadeem Harris
ST - Need a replacement for Oumar Niasse.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:06 pm

GK - Can't see anyone bigger than us coming in for Etheridge, his distribution will put loads off it todays game. Smithies may want to move away though.

RB- Peltier coxe and potentially Bacuna
LB- Bennett and Cunningham
CB- Morrison, Sol (can see Manga & Connolly leaving) Need 2 CB's
CM- Ralls, Bacuna (Damour must be pissed off) Need 2 CM's + 1 of the U23's to step up
AM- Reid and M Harris
WF- Murphy,NML,Holliet need 1 speedster
CF - Zohore, Patterson, Ward

With Madine and Tomlin on big bucks we may need to find a space. Bogle will be easier to shift

So for me its 2 CB's, 2 CM's and a winger. With the parachute payment and the money we should have made we shouldn't loan premier league kids we should find our own

Wanted us to go full on to buy ReeceJames from Wigan before i realised he is a loanee from Chelsea.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:07 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:Next season I think we will need 6-8 new signings.

RB - Still need someone in that position if we're not gonna give Cameron Coxe a chance
CB - I believe we have a contract extension option on Manga from what Warnock has said but Bamba will be out for 6 months and I expect Connolly to leave for first team football.

Before we even spend a penny....
Baccuna for Gunner
Ralls for Arter
Reid for camarasa

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:25 pm

theclaw wrote:

Baccuna for Gunner
Ralls for Arter
Reid for camarasa

And if Bacuna who im not convinced is as good as Gunner gets injured then what? we' need someone who can win the ball back. I'll use the same for Ralls if he gets injured we have no one to replace him with. We cant go into a 46 game championship season with 2 CM's with 1 being bang average at Championship level at best. Players of Gunnarsson, Arter and Camarasa's quality need to be replaced whatever division we're in and i guarantee they probably will be.

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:08 am

It makes zero difference if we stay up or go down we will still need to be prioritising getting 3 players in as soon as possible in these positions.

RB
CM(a player with legs and who actually makes runs into the opponents box when we are attacking would be nice)
ST

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:38 am

valleymodeller, they can say anything they want, but your tools - is great choice, by the way. When I was writing article about them, I was using essay writing service. It is pretty awesome service for sure, but sometimes you need a little bit of extra information, and books do possess like great resources of which.

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:17 am

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
theclaw wrote:

Baccuna for Gunner
Ralls for Arter
Reid for camarasa

L

And if Bacuna who im not convinced is as good as Gunner gets injured then what? we' need someone who can win the ball back. I'll use the same for Ralls if he gets injured we have no one to replace him with. We cant go into a 46 game championship season with 2 CM's with 1 being bang average at Championship level at best. Players of Gunnarsson, Arter and Camarasa's quality need to be replaced whatever division we're in and i guarantee they probably will be.

Like I said that’s before we spend a penny,obviously we need to buy players