Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is peter guilty

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:07 am

of living the dream ?

We all know that Peter Ridsdale's excuse for mortgaging Leeds' future in pursuit of success they weren't ready for was based on his being a fan 'living the dream' - even though the 'dream' turned into a nightmare very, very quickly (and my how we laughed!).

It seems to me that the same may be happening again. If they are indeed about to account for the £3m of next season's money during this next transfer window, then it represents a massive risk. If we do go up, then the money can easily be recouped from the huge hike in income. But, if we don't go up after splashing the cash, then we're left with a heftier squad - and with around half of the income for that season already long gone, a lot less money to pay for it.

How to mitigate the risk? Buy players at decent-fees, on performance-related wages, with potential for high resale value. "Of course that's their aim", you may say, but our last supposed 'push' included forking out an insane amount for Fowler , Hasselbaink and Sinclair, players with zero worth in resale terms.

Am I not encouraged by an apparent willingness to strengthen in January? Of course I am. But I just hope it's not at the expense of the long-term success, prosperity and health of the club.