Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Jack Wilshere

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:43 am

All the reports of the West Ham - Arsenal game suggest that Wilshere is now well and truly ready for a few hard lessons in life. These may be better delivered by loan in the Championship rather than the Premiership.

Re: Jack Wilshere

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:18 am

Ramsey was far better than him. Wilshere's just too small and nowhere near physically imposing enough to be a professional midfielder. However, I could say that about a lot of our current squad *coughLedleycough* so I wouldn't say no to having him in on loan.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:48 am

DaveSheffield wrote:Ramsey was far better than him. Wilshere's just too small and nowhere near physically imposing enough to be a professional midfielder. However, I could say that about a lot of our current squad *coughLedleycough* so I wouldn't say no to having him in on loan.

His height will not be an issue if he develops a powerful frame. A lower centre of gravity can be a major advantage for the right type of attacking player - Gattuso, Maradona, Zola, and Wise are examples. In this respect, maybe too early to judge as he has just turned 18. His major weakness right now seems to be an inflated ego and hence why I think that a robust Championship experience is what he needs now.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:27 am

I was going to say Lionel Messi has never been a physical threat but still copes. I'm not saying Jack Wilshere is anywhere near that level but players can evolve their game to cope with certain weaknesses they have.

I'm not Wilshere's biggest fan and think Ramsey is much better. I still wouldn't say no to him coming on loan to us though. We need that creative engine in midfield along with a destroyer!

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:45 am

A number of reports and messageboard discussions seems to be suggesting the same - i.e. that he may benefit more from Championship than Premiership experience. Yesterday's game reinforced the case.

The same is being said about Merida - although for slightly different reasons - and he may offer more as he is more mature. If he wants to stay with Arsenal/in the UK, he definitely needs English league experience rather than a loan back to Spain.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3189 ... e-the-nest

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/arseblog/po ... real-world

Arsene - you owe us!

Aaron - put a word in!

Ridders - make the call!

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Just said on Sky Sports News that Wenger said he can go on loan at the end of January as Arsena have a few injuries.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:52 pm

With possible management changes at Burnley, their efforts must look weaker by the hour. Come on Ridders!

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Personally I don't think he will turn into the player the media thinks/wants him to. He is good but I do feel size will be an issue for him.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:50 pm

CreanyCCFC wrote:Personally I don't think he will turn into the player the media thinks/wants him to. He is good but I do feel size will be an issue for him.

How would you compare him with Merida who is also being mentioned as a possible loanee?

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:10 pm

As a player jw is by far better but I really so feel that his future depends hugely on his physical development and his ability to handle the media. I do rate him but I feel that he isn't as good as the media want him to be. IMHO I think Ramsey has developed at a huge rate of knots and is wengers best buy since Anelka (£500k) plus can you play Walcott and JW in the same team??

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:20 pm

CreanyCCFC wrote:As a player jw is by far better but I really so feel that his future depends hugely on his physical development and his ability to handle the media. I do rate him but I feel that he isn't as good as the media want him to be. IMHO I think Ramsey has developed at a huge rate of knots and is wengers best buy since Anelka (£500k) plus can you play Walcott and JW in the same team??

Sadly Ramsey is now part of our history and appears to have been sold somewhat on the cheap given what we now see. Looking at our current situation, would you take Wilshere if he was offered or look elsewhere? Could he do a job for us until the end of the season? Burnley seem to think that he could add value to their system, but the threat of management changes must now undermine their case enormously. Mind you, the past 48 hours may have done some damage to our reputation at this critical time as well - let's hope not.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:24 pm

sadly due to the lack of passing ability of our central defence I don't think he would be any good at going up for high balls and he would struggle in our side at present. I think we should look else where for someone through the middle as Burke is having a decent season down the right. I'd like Wellback (black kid from Man Utd, power and pace) and Delph

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Merida would be a good signing

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Merida is one of the worst Arsenal youngsters and would not like the physical side of the ccc

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:19 pm

No Fabian Delph and Coyle now committed to Bolton.

Surplus Arsenal players might now present realistic options.

You'd like to think that Arsene would have some goodwill towards us.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Merida has a wand of a left foot, but I'd say he is quite similar to McPhail, but a bit more forward thinking!
I'd rather us sign a more commanding player, but I wouldn't be disappointed with getting him on loan.
He's not signing a new contract at Arsenal mind, so maybe they'll try and sell him in Jan, to someone obviously better than us! But, he won't be on massive wages if he does go on loan