Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE IRONY OF THE STUATION

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 am

When Sam signed the club over, it was done under similar circumstances to the position we find ourselves in again. Because of all the delays and the political situation where Russell Goodway was ousted, there is no doubt Sam had blown his stash and needed help and investment to firstly keep us afloat and secondly to try and finish the project.

PMG who were set to make a big gain from the project came into to supposedly bail us out,they invested a sum of money to pay wages and keep us going, then as D day approached they threatened the club or Sam rather that unless they were paid back immediately, they would pull the plug and put the club into administration, Sam was forced to sign the club over, to firstly protect his investment and secondly to stop the club going into administration. This is how some business's progress, spot a weakness and exploit it, if people are desperate they accept a lot less than the true value, rather than lose the lot.

Now it appears the shoe is on someone else's foot, and the Malaysians would appear to be in a position where they can say, this is what we are prepared to pay, accept it or go into administration. The club mean time are selling everything that ain't nailed down, and everything that is possibly going to provide future income is drained now to keep us afloat.

It's a bit like black Friday, Sam sold of Kav etc' to try and prove he would do whatever to keep control of the club that was in reality slipping from his grasp.

The similarities with the present situation appear to me to be so similar that it's uncanny.We are yet again in the middle of a game of poker, the trouble is how far are we prepared to go before we throw our hand in. Allegedly :)

Re: THE IRONY OF THE STUATION

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:50 am

thing is gwyn were sitting at the poker table with deuces and the malaysians will have got a full house
its time for riddler to fold before the club does

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 am

I don't think this is anywhere near as bad as Black Friday but that's my opinion. I think the whole situation has been sensationalised by the media and various sources. Yes, we're not Chelsea or Man City but we're considerably better off than we were back then. When we sold Kavanagh, Earnshaw, Gabbidon and Collins we were selling at a cut price to stay alive. Now we're selling handsomely to break level.

I know not everyone agrees with my views here and I respect that but personally I think Hammam is the reason we're here now. He's the reason we're doing so well on the pitch and he's the reason we're doing so badly off it. Yeah, Ridsdale hasn't been a saint by any means but he's not had the best conditions to work under at all. I don't blame him for not telling us the truth all the time. The truth can be misinterpreted and cause panic or chaos. If Ridsdale holds back the truth because he believes the situation will be sorted in the near future, then I don't blame him. However, if he's holding back the truth as a stay of execution... what's the point?

There's no right or wrong opinion around at the moment because none of us know the reality of the situation. We will have a much better idea come February 1st.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:05 am

Zabier wrote:I don't think this is anywhere near as bad as Black Friday but that's my opinion. I think the whole situation has been sensationalised by the media and various sources. Yes, we're not Chelsea or Man City but we're considerably better off than we were back then. When we sold Kavanagh, Earnshaw, Gabbidon and Collins we were selling at a cut price to stay alive. Now we're selling handsomely to break level.

I know not everyone agrees with my views here and I respect that but personally I think Hammam is the reason we're here now. He's the reason we're doing so well on the pitch and he's the reason we're doing so badly off it. Yeah, Ridsdale hasn't been a saint by any means but he's not had the best conditions to work under at all. I don't blame him for not telling us the truth all the time. The truth can be misinterpreted and cause panic or chaos. If Ridsdale holds back the truth because he believes the situation will be sorted in the near future, then I don't blame him. However, if he's holding back the truth as a stay of execution... what's the point?

There's no right or wrong opinion around at the moment because none of us know the reality of the situation. We will have a much better idea come February 1st.

we wont pay the tax bill by the deadline this week in my opinion.
that will be followed by another winding up order from the hmrc.
i think we are in a far more precarious position here than black friday

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:07 am

Notts County have been given their second winding up order in as many months! They love it! The HMRC are all chat. Think positively! Don't worry, we will pay it! :D

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:09 am

I don't see where your coming from with the Sam situation, we ain't paid the man a penny back yet, and if it weren't for the talent he brought to the club and the academy he set up, we'd have been in the shit sooner than now.But we are all welcome to our views,that's what makes it healthy, these are just views, none of us have the real truth or any real answers. :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:15 am

BigGwynram wrote:I don't see where your coming from with the Sam situation, we ain't paid the man a penny back yet, and if it weren't for the talent he brought to the club and the academy he set up, we'd have been in the shit sooner than now.But we are all welcome to our views,that's what makes it healthy, these are just views, none of us have the real truth or any real answers. :ayatollah:

I think that's a very good point. The Academy has brought in £5m for Ramsey, £1m for Gunter, £3m for Collins, £3.5m for both Earnshaw and Jerome with around £2m pending for Matthews.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:20 am

How much influence has Sam's changes to the Academy brought though? I mean the likes of Collins, Earnshaw and Ledley were all breaking into the first team before the Academy and since then we've seen just as many players make it in the form of Gunter, Ramsey and Jerome... but even Jerome we got from somewhere else (was it Middlesbrough?).

I'm not denouncing the Academy at all, just questioning whether we would have still had the talent that has come through without it and it's more a quality of youth coaching down there rather than the Academy itself?

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:26 am

Ramsey and Mathew, that's ten millions alone, were both picked up and developed by the academy, it' only the last 3 years that the lack of funding and priority of the academy and its struggling,this is why the fans have been asked to support it financially, yet again it's all short term crisis management with no long term development plans,these are steps taken by businessmen out fora quick profit, rather than a long term plan.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:54 am

Sorry, what I meant to say was do you think we would have captured Ramsey and Matthews without the Academy? Basically, is it the Academy itself or the staff that have brought these players through?

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:06 pm

steve davies wrote:
Zabier wrote:I don't think this is anywhere near as bad as Black Friday but that's my opinion. I think the whole situation has been sensationalised by the media and various sources. Yes, we're not Chelsea or Man City but we're considerably better off than we were back then. When we sold Kavanagh, Earnshaw, Gabbidon and Collins we were selling at a cut price to stay alive. Now we're selling handsomely to break level.

Then Steve we will Def have a Transfer Embargo on us.

we wont pay the tax bill by the deadline this week in my opinion.
that will be followed by another winding up order from the hmrc.
i think we are in a far more precarious position here than black friday

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:30 pm

I may be wrong, but having an academy allows us to keep our own local talent rather than lose it to the clubs who already have an academy set up. This is what would happen in the past, now the kids have to go their local academy and can't be poached.

SAYING THAT MIND, SOME OF THE BIG CLUBS HAVE ACTUALLY MOVED THE WHOLE FAMILY INTO THEIR AREA, GIVEN THEM A HOUSE AND SET THEM UP WITH JOBS, JUST TO GET ACCESS TO THEIR KIDS POTENTIAL.SCUSE THE CAPITALS,ONLY JUST NOTICED

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:39 pm

Zabier wrote:Sorry, what I meant to say was do you think we would have captured Ramsey and Matthews without the Academy? Basically, is it the Academy itself or the staff that have brought these players through?

I know what you mean, would Ramsey and Matthews not have been playing for us in the old youth set up. Answer is yes and no, they maybe could have but then they could also have been attarcted to another club with an Acadamy

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:18 pm

An Academy can be the difference between a player becoming something. Wasn't Adam M released by Swansea?
An Academy can see a spark and fan it in to something. COE's just don't have the facilities to do that. Cam's was not going to make it until the Academy got hold of him.
Rambo had his pick of club academy's and if Cardiff didn't have such an highly rated academy then he'd never have been anywhere near the club.
No offence to Earnie but he's the absolute best you could hope to get in a COE and you'll only get one now and again, medioca journey men.