Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Still issues but a massive improvement “

Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:08 pm

Just walking out the stadium and buzzing for the first time in a long time.

That first half was probably our best half since October at home.

Colwill and Grant both very good.

There still issues such as us sitting back on the lead and some strange substitutions.

But it’s been a while since we won at home so I’m just going to enjoy it tonight :bluebird: :bluebird:

Re: “ Still issues but a massive improvement “

Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:09 pm

Totally agree with you Ned.

Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:23 pm

We gotta be happy with that after the last few weeks
Grant was very good
Fair play to him,he's a grafter

Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:28 pm

Well I was celebrating a nil nil a few days ago so definitely celebrating this.
Substitutions still bizarre and defensive tactics still bloody annoying,curry time soon.

Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:49 pm

Bulut seems to do everything he can to make life harder for us with his substitutions. We’re the home side, playing a team there for the taking, yet his subs are negative, swapping attacking players for more defensive options. Then we end up getting pushed back deeper and deeper as we have few options to get up the pitch. Stoke swerved at least a draw today.
Bulut is not a good manager and we need better.

Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:31 pm

We won despite the manager. Bizzare subs.

Wintle as a 10,FFS
Collins in any capacity FFS
Deihidou (Sp) FFS

Hopefully, Rubin ends the season fit, as they need to beast him over the summer as he can't gas this badly

Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:51 pm

llan bluebird wrote:We won despite the manager. Bizzare subs.

Wintle as a 10,FFS
Collins in any capacity FFS
Deihidou (Sp) FFS

Hopefully, Rubin ends the season fit, as they need to beast him over the summer as he can't gas this badly

The substitutions baffled me.

When he had to take Grant off, the obvious replacement was Meite or Turnbull but he went with Wintle instead.

Then he took off Colwill which was fair enough because he was getting tired. But he didn’t go like for like and bring Turnbull on, choosing to go with Collins instead.

Like I say, baffling.

Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:35 pm

Loved the win but hated the negativity of trying to hold on to what we had from about the 55th minute and making no real attempt to win the game more convincingly.

Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:26 am

Erol Bulut says pressure is finally lifted off Cardiff City stars and names what he doesn't want to see again
The Bluebirds boss hopes the win over the Potters proves a turning point for his attacking stars

Cardiff City boss Erol Bulut hopes his attacking stars can turn a corner following Saturday's win over Stoke City.

Kion Etete's early header put Cardiff in front, their first goal in five attempts at home, and his first since September, before Karlan Grant doubled the lead with a smart finish just after half an hour.

Jun-ho Bae pulled one back for Stoke just before the interval, but the Bluebirds held on to halt a winless run of six games at Cardiff City Stadium.

And having seen his side struggle for goals in front of their own fans in the last few weeks, Bulut hopes the win over the Potters could prove a turning point.

"For offensive players it's always if you make a good assist or score, you get confidence," Bulut said. "If you miss many chances, it's difficult to get the confidence. You will not try the next time you should. That's why I'm satisfied with this and I hope our guys continue like that.

"But football is pressure. Our job is pressure. This how we have to live. Whether it's the manager or the player. OK, sometimes it's not good to have so much pressure, especially when you are young as a player. So, how to handle it. At home there's been a bit of pressure because it's been a long time since we have won.
"The fans want to win at home and to see the three points. They want to see good football. Of course, it's not easy. Tuesday was a draw. A game we could win but we didn't.

"To get the confidence back was important. Our offensive part scored the goals and now the confidence, I think the players are on a better level than they've been 10 days before."

Both Etete and Grant were withdrawn in the second half, after seemingly picking up knocks, and their absence coincided with a the contest tilting in favour of the visitors, who were denied a point courtesy of some fine defensive work from Bulut's charges.

Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:25 am

Yes that was more like it. Did the 400 mile round trip to watch the Stoke game.
I stick by what I have said regarding
1/Wilson Esbrand- looks a very good player and a vast improvement on Collins. Also option of playing him further forward.He brings somw much needed pace ( would love to sign him permanently).
2/ Etete give the lad a break. He is putting in more effort (like Colwell) and improving. Obviously he has limitations and is by no means the finished product. He did pretty well yesterday.Thethread trying to blame him for Citys peoblem was just daft.
3/ Still don’t understand why they don’t do a proper high press(?!?). They dropped back towards the end of the firSt half and conceded. I would rather put pressure on opponents and maybe concede, rather than losing a goal by being too defensive, and then hanfing on.

:bluebird:
:bluebird:

Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:31 am

In the cold light of day;

A well overdue 3 points at home. This was the priority.
However:

We must remember that Stoke are very much a team in trouble. Despite a good start to the match for Cardiff, I thought Stoke eventually looked the stronger team. They probably deserved something out of the game.
Very good performances for us by Grant and especially Phillips. Also, Wilson-Esbrand looked good. However, these are players who will leave our club in the summer.

As a result, my enthusiasm is somewhat subdued.

I'm not too confident about the rest of the season, but at least relegation is extreamely unlikely.

Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:09 pm

MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:In the cold light of day;

However:

We must remember that Stoke are very much a team in trouble. Despite a good start to the match for Cardiff, I thought Stoke eventually looked the stronger team. They probably deserved something out of the game.
Very good performances for us by Grant and especially Phillips. Also, Wilson-Esbrand looked good. However, these are players who will leave our club in the summer.

I'm not too confident about the rest of the season, but at least relegation is extreamely unlikely.

I don’t think there’s any reason why we can’t sign Wilson-Esbrand and Phillips.

Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:40 pm

cardiffboy1995 wrote:
MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:In the cold light of day;

However:

I don’t think there’s any reason why we can’t sign Wilson-Esbrand and Phillips.

I think they would both like to sign a higher club than ours on a permanent deal