Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Rubin Colwills position

Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:16 pm

The lad is an enigma, but for me it is time for the club to nail a position.

He is a CM for me. He isn't Gunnar or Ralls but more Whitts in Malkys first season, pretty much a roaming "get on the ball" with limited defensive responsibilities

Re: Rubin Colwills position

Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:50 pm

Yeah he needs to play through the middle having a player his size on the wing don't make sense to me

Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:57 pm

llan bluebird wrote:The lad is an enigma, but for me it is time for the club to nail a position.

He is a CM for me. He isn't Gunnar or Ralls but more Whitts in Malkys first season, pretty much a roaming "get on the ball" with limited defensive responsibilities

100% he's a 10 or 8 at a push. Need to use his creativity to flow the attack

Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:20 pm

Watching Ross Barclay last week made me think that manager after manager thought he was a "10" but he never really was, he is a "6", a deep lying playmaker rather than a stopper "6".

The problem is most of the modern managers all do the same thing, so he must be a "10" because he has a bit of skill. Think Rubes is in the same boat. Another win and i reckon we are safe, time to play with a few things

Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:35 pm

No midfielder in modern football can afford to have 'limited defensive responsibility', and the number 10 as a concept died a decade ago.

Anyone playing deeper needs to have stamina, defensive workrate and positional awareness. Rubin, despite his good technique, is still lacking in these things. He's looked better in the last month however. Bulut clearly trusts him now, here's hoping his progress can continue.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:17 pm

CM is his position but if he really wants to go to the top he’s got to add stamina, fitness and strength to his game

Until he does that he is always going to be a luxury player and in and out of the side

Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:24 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:CM is his position but if he really wants to go to the top he’s got to add stamina, fitness and strength to his game

Until he does that he is always going to be a luxury player and in and out of the side

I said last week I hope he stays fit to the end of the season as the club needs to put him on a special program over the summer as he can't be gassing at 70 mins at 22 year of age

Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:24 pm

I think today showed Bulut values him and had him wide in Grants spot rather then risk Odowda or put COllins in and Esbrand on the wing, agree best at CM thou

Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:49 am

Good on the eye byt doesn't really create chances. Loves a hollywood shot. Needs more goals and assists.

I think he's suffered by not having a spell on loan

Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:28 pm

Needs to play in the middle shows glimpses what he’s all about needs demand ball more and looks a bit leggy at times as if he’s not fit enough

Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:49 pm

Agree needs to be a number 10 only. He isnt as effective out wife as in fairness to him he isnt a winger. Turnball played well Saturday in fairness though

Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:27 pm

I really don’t get it. I must be missing something he really isn’t that good in my opinion. He has improved I’ll give him that but he still seems a liability.

Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:40 pm

Iceblue wrote:I really don’t get it. I must be missing something he really isn’t that good in my opinion. He has improved I’ll give him that but he still seems a liability.

There are flashes of quality in a very functional team then he goes missing. I just don't think he is fit enough and if he is at his max fitness then he ain't making it at this level.

He has been in and out of injuries for the last few off-seasons, so i hope that with a full summer on his back and a beast of a summer program they get him to where a 22-year-old professional footballer should be. Tanner also looks fcuked after 2-0 mins

Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:35 pm

There are certainly flashes of a good player in there somewhere but very often he goes too far on his own thinking he's George Best & loses the ball or gets in a great position to make a killer pass and then passes it backwards. But there's certainly a good player in there trying to get out which may come with experience, being an understudy to Ramsey he could learn a lot if he's prepared to listen.

Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:04 pm

He comes so deep sometimes to collect the ball. I want to see him more advanced almost a floating free role in and around our striker. People say he should have kicked on by now. I say this - he’s been playing in low scoring, sideways passing, limited chances defensive teams. HRs a fluid creative player with a lovely touch and balance. He’s not a fit in this style of football and these tactics and team mates. That’s why he hasn’t kicked on. He would have in a Leeds/Leicester/Ipswich type side.

I’m a fan. Fitness to improve, heading, upper body strength, and he could be excellent.