Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HORRID 'JACK' GETS CAMBRIDGE JOB

Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:11 pm

Former 'Horrid Jack' Garry Monk hired by League One club after more than three years out
By Connor Andrews

Garry Monk has returned to football for the first time in more than three years, being named Cambridge United’s next coach.

The League One club lost former Bluebird boss Neil Harris to his old side Millwall on February 21, and have acted swiftly to bring in a well-regarded replacement.

Monk has managed Swansea, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday, leaving the latter side in 2020.

Before Monk spoke to the media, majority owner Paul Barry commented: “We are very pleased to welcome Garry as our next Head Coach. This follows a thorough process and three separate interviews with owners, board and senior staff from across the Club last week where Garry emerged as our unanimous choice.

“He is a coach of high pedigree, has managed at the top level and impressed us all with his leadership skills, clarity of thinking and his analysis of Cambridge United - both the squad and the Club. Although he has had opportunities to get back into the game over recent times, he has been waiting for the right one. Like us, he sees this as a project and we are pleased he has decided to join us on the journey ahead.

“We do, of course, all recognise that there is the immediate challenge of securing our League One future after what has been a difficult period for everyone at the Club, following Neil Harris’ unexpected and sudden departure
."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: HORRID JACK 'BEAKER' GETS CAMBRIDGE JOB

Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:24 pm

I thought Alan Tate was Beaker rather than Monk?

Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:52 pm

I heard Cambridge were lowering the bar on entry but that’s taking the biscuit.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:54 pm

davids wrote:I thought Alan Tate was Beaker rather than Monk?

Correct

Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:36 pm

Yeah as much as I dislike Monk, he’s nothing on Beaker. Horrible man

Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:31 pm

davids wrote:I thought Alan Tate was Beaker rather than Monk?

My error; all 'Jacks' the same to me but agree Tate is on his own level of despicable...! :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:38 pm

I miss him being a championship manager. That line he used to give about it not being his fault his team lost to us, it’s “because of the way Cardiff play” was absolutely Comedy gold!