Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

To the day 1971.

Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:43 am

Cardiff city beat Real Madrid 1-0 in front of a crowd of 47500 :bluescarf:

Re: To the day 1971.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:07 pm

I was there!!

Young lad of 14 not really appreciating at the time how it would go down in City folk lore. My memory of it was that we thought we had a good chance of winning as we were top of Division Two at the time and Real weren't having the best of seasons. Think we might have won it over the two legs if Alan Warboys had been eligible. He was on fire at the time and I think it came either just after or just before he scored 4 goals before half time against Carlisle, including a hat trick in the first 10 minutes!

Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm

I was there with my Dad on the Bob Bank great night and my favourite player Brian Clark scored the winner what a atmosphere there was at ninian Park

Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:42 pm

ORCHARD BLUEBIRD wrote:I was there with my Dad on the Bob Bank great night and my favourite player Brian Clark scored the winner what a atmosphere there was at ninian Park

Family Enclosure for me, my old man and three other family members. Was 'hooked' before that but that night showed the passion and fervour of Cardiff City FC...! :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:48 pm

Was there corner bob and canton under floodlight in kids area I was only 15 at time!....but question 47k crowd probably lot more .. :clap:

Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:56 pm

A long way before my time (I’m only 31) but definitely a huge moment in our history :bluebird:

Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:24 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:A long way before my time (I’m only 31) but definitely a huge moment in our history :bluebird:

Funny how such a game holds legend status in our history considering if was 52yrs ago? Not sure fa cup win holds same status despite being unique..... Is it because Madrid was a bigger feat considering we were a 2nd division club?

Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:32 am

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:A long way before my time (I’m only 31) but definitely a huge moment in our history :bluebird:

Funny how such a game holds legend status in our history considering if was 52yrs ago? Not sure fa cup win holds same status despite being unique..... Is it because Madrid was a bigger feat considering we were a 2nd division club?

I think its because of the status of the club we beat. My recollection was that it was a big feat but that it was not the achievement that its grown into since. For those of us who there, the majority of us had witnessed us playing in the semi final a few years earlier and being agonisingly close to getting to the final where we would have played AC Milan. We had more than held our own against Hamburg who included Uwe Seller and a possibly a few others from the West Germany side who lost to England in the World Cup final. During that era, Hamburg were probably a better side than Real, and the Cardiff team who played Real were a far better side than the 68 side and were top of the Second Division. So I don't think it was a huge shock at the time. Its a bit sad that the achievement of 68 team has been slightly overshadowed by the 71 team.