Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Colchester pitch is allowed to shrink

Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:01 pm

IMG_2494.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Colchester pitch is allowed to shrink

Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:49 pm

I remember us narrowing our Ninian Park pitch, I think it was all the way back when Kenny Hibbert was manager.

The idea was to try and stop the away teams from hitting us on the break with the space we left them to exploit out wide, so they felt narrowing the pitch would help restrict that.

What was the result? The opposition just hit us on the break down the middle instead! :banghead:

Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:08 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I remember us narrowing our Ninian Park pitch, I think it was all the way back when Kenny Hibbert was manager.

The idea was to try and stop the away teams from hitting us on the break with the space we left them to exploit out wide, so they felt narrowing the pitch would help restrict that.

What was the result? The opposition just hit us on the break down the middle instead! :banghead:

I remember them doing that to the pitch. What a negative attitude it was.

Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:33 pm

Not sure why needed permission as pitch still within official size?

Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:01 pm

I live in Colchester. Yes we’ve had some rain granted but nothing to stop 2 games. I live right next to Stanway Rovers FC(great view from my big) and it’s 2 miles from Col Utd. They’ve played every week. I’d say they have a serious ground problem if their pitch floods after a bit of rain.

Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:45 pm

Isn't Anfield a short pitch?! Hence it can't host any major tournament games. Think they have to get permission to play in Europe every year.

Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:40 am

jimmy_rat wrote:Isn't Anfield a short pitch?! Hence it can't host any major tournament games. Think they have to get permission to play in Europe every year.

It is 101 metres by 64 metres big enough to host international matches. Wales played there a few times when no stadium in Wales was deemed to have decent enough facilities to host internationals.

We played Scotland there in a World Cup qualifier.