Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Page in or Page out?

You may select 1 option

View results

Page in or Page out?

Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:49 pm

So we’ve failed to qualify for Euro 2024.

Do you think Rob Page should stay for the next campaign or should we look elsewhere?

I’ve thought for a while we haven’t been good enough, when we do have the players to play better.

But he would get away with it as long as we qualified for tournaments.

But that hasn’t happened so Page out for me.

Re: Page in or Page out?

Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:53 pm

It's time for Page to go, Wales should have won that in normal time. A new manager and style of play is needed. Commiserations to the boys tonight, a good effort but not good enough.

Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:54 pm

Knew this was coming as soon as we failed to qualify ...if they'd got through same people would want him knighted

Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:02 pm

The writing has been on the wall for a while, and essentially a good performance here and there has kept this guy in the job.

He should do the decent thing and resign, if not he needs to get booted.

He sounded very bullish in his post match interview, but quite frankly, if you finish 3rd in a group of 5 (which includes the football powerhouses of Armenia & Latvia!!!) and then get a backdoor opportunity to scrape in and don't take it.......why are you still here?

If he prolongs his tenure, on the very rocky ground he is standing on right now, it will just be divisive. I suspect the majority want him gone, but who knows. :bluebird:

Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:14 pm

He has to the next world cup he is going nowhere.

Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:15 pm

Get him out he’s shite
Keep saying we ain’t going to no tournament with him.
But he’s here for another 4 years so great times ahead , NOT

Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:23 pm

Never wanted him in or giggs. Steve Cooper man for job

Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:44 pm

llan bluebird wrote:He has to the next world cup he is going nowhere.

Spot On ...

Rob Page has signed a new four-year deal with Wales after leading his country to their first World Cup since 1958.

Page has done an outstanding job since replacing Ryan Giggs and has been rewarded with a contract that takes him to the end of 2026 World Cup qualifying.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:08 am

shake it all about

Out for me. Has rode his luck and we can do better.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:18 am

Not for 1st time got it wrong? Pretended to be positive about Poland game but changes side starts moore who was more static than a Trecco bay caravan and then 2nd half plays 5 man defence! Poland had Silch shots on target we had 5 they were there for the taking but page didn't have balls to go for it... final nail was injury to right back brings on James and promptly puts him there great use of someone in goal scoring form... time for him to go... cannot waste the undoubted talent we have in future taunements.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:41 am

Out and I’ve said it since the debacle of the World Cup. Clueless tactically and too scared to go for the win in the big games.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:40 am

We start games with 6 defenders, 1 CM, 1 wide forward, 1 attacking midfielder and a centre forward. Wilson is an attacking midfeilder with a bit of dog but he isn't a CM.

We got away with it against an inferior Finland but why was Colwill in the stands and Rambo on the bench if Page had no intention to bring him on just for the pens??????

So out of his depth he needs armbands

Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:42 am

TheHangedMan wrote:The writing has been on the wall for a while, and essentially a good performance here and there has kept this guy in the job.

He should do the decent thing and resign, if not he needs to get booted.

He sounded very bullish in his post match interview, but quite frankly, if you finish 3rd in a group of 5 (which includes the football powerhouses of Armenia & Latvia!!!) and then get a backdoor opportunity to scrape in and don't take it.......why are you still here?

If he prolongs his tenure, on the very rocky ground he is standing on right now, it will just be divisive. I suspect the majority want him gone, but who knows. :bluebird:

24 out of 25 want him gone 96%, that says a lot :thumbup:

Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:17 am

Take last night game out of the equation and think back to the Armenian and Latvia games which cost us second place.
Page out for me.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:19 am

OUT. Made us a laughing stock in world cup in some players biggest ever last chance.
OUT. If he couldn't get us out of this group he has no chance.
OUT. WTF was he thinking last night.?
PS. Don't recall mentioning it but
OUT.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:15 am

I was a Page out person but after the games against Finland and Poland, I'm now on the fence.

We were always going to have a "Bale" hangover but after watching our last 2 games I thinking maybe he deserves a bit more time. Yes Page made mistakes yesterday, why have Ramsey on the bench if he's not fit and why put our fastest attacker at RB when Roberts went off. I do however think James had a very good game at RB but this was at a stage of the game where Poland were the better team and doing most of the attacking. James's pace on the break was needed at this point in the game.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:18 am

JulesK wrote:OUT. Made us a laughing stock in world cup in some players biggest ever last chance.
OUT. If he couldn't get us out of this group he has no chance.
OUT. WTF was he thinking last night.?
PS. Don't recall mentioning it but
OUT.

So did you vote OUT :laughing5:

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:23 am

MikeO76 wrote:I was a Page out person but after the games against Finland and Poland, I'm now on the fence.

We were always going to have a "Bale" hangover but after watching our last 2 games I thinking maybe he deserves a bit more time. Yes Page made mistakes yesterday, why have Ramsey on the bench if he's not fit and why put our fastest attacker at RB when Roberts went off. I do however think James had a very good game at RB but this was at a stage of the game where Poland were the better team and doing most of the attacking. James's pace on the break was needed at this point in the game.

He said learned lessons but he made same mistake 4 times in this qualification alone with his dodgy ream selection? Unfortunately he's saying he is staying let's hope its just bravado ..

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:33 am

It was a no from me. Woeful in the World Cup and doesn’t have the tactical nous for top level international management.

You can’t afford to drop 5 points to Armenia but I thought Poland were bang average and there for the taking last night . We didn’t seem to setup to exploit our pace. They’ll lose all 3 in the group stage in my opinion as aside from their penalty execution, I thought it was a poor polish side .

Time for a change .

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:49 am

4 competitive wins out of the last 18 says it all...

Out of his depth I feel OUT

Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:00 am

Jestrix wrote:4 competitive wins out of the last 18 says it all...

Other than the defeat to Armenia, who out of the losses within those 18 games should we have confidently expected to beat ?

Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:15 am

epping blue wrote:

Other than the defeat to Armenia, who out of the losses within those 18 games should we have confidently expected to beat ?

Last night for start we were actually expected to win... but its about the playing record that matters not who they played otherwise can say didn't expect to win any games so win record to be expected? 4 out 18 is poor by any standard except maybe Armenias....and out of those 4 wins can safely say if not for bale would lost another two ... we've moved on from making up the numbers we should be looking to beat most opposition no reason why can't other than the manager.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:32 am

pembroke allan wrote:
epping blue wrote:

Last night for start we were actually expected to win... but its about the playing record that matters not who they played otherwise can say didn't expect to win any games so win record to be expected? 4 out 18 is poor by any standard except maybe Armenias....and out of those 4 wins can safely say if not for bale would lost another two ... we've moved on from making up the numbers we should be looking to beat most opposition no reason why can't other than the manager.

The 4 wins are post Bale. The period starts following the Ukraine play off for maximum effect. That's fair enough but you clearly jumped to the conclusion that it included those games. There's nobody more gutted than me - cant bring myself to cancel my hotel rooms and the flights, trains are probably gone. Bale was clearly gona be a hard act to follow. Last night was very much like the world cup play offs , we no longer have a bit of Bale magic to tip those tight games in our favour.

Maybe be I just have lower expectations. There's a reason why we went nearly 60 years without qualifying with at times much better players than we currently have.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:31 am

We should have won that game in normal time, Poland was pretty poor tbh. World Class save from Moore's header, but Moore 1 on 1 with keeper, might as well have had Shrek running with ball.
Poor substitutions by Page, shite tactics against Armenia twice, lucky not to lose 8-0 in Armenia.

I still believe we can win that Nations League Group though. 50/50 with Page though, not sure Cooper is the answer either, definitely not Bellamy.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:35 am

I think perhaps it's the manner of defeat as well as the result. We turned Belgium over in a tournament and lost to them at a whimper, Turkey haven't exactly got world beaters (much the same as Wales I suppose). I take your point about only the Armenia match on paper should of been a victory, I feel that perhaps I jumped the gun on my statement with the 4 in 18 but equally some of those draws another more tactically confident manager could of turned to victory.

As been stated James coming on against a tiring Poland line and put him at RWB when he should of been changing up top. Keeifer should of come off around the 70th minute mark when he was falling behind play. They say don't change a winning team and the way Wales were set up yesterday albeit with only one change (KM for DB) completely changed the way Wales had to play. I would of been interested to see the way the game played out had he set us up in the same way against Finland

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:47 am

I voted in, and here's the reasoning...

- He's taken this squad as close as you possibly can without making it.
- Months ago, I was 110% "Page out", but he's made subtle tweaks and stopped us leaking goals. The defence were outstanding last night.
- Harry Wilson being a lead, not a bit-part changed the back end of the qualifiers.
- He'll be more than affordable
- He's earned the right (in my opinion, 1 spot kick away from mission success isn't a reason to get sacked for me)
- The effort, desire, team bonding etc is there to see
- The atmosphere is there

A strong/harsh "you need to be in contention mid way through the world cup qualifiers" goal should be put in place.

Those who are saying out, who do you suggest to replace??

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:51 am

We ended up with dan james playing right back to join the other 4 at the back.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:55 am

SB 1927 wrote:I voted in, and here's the reasoning...

- He's taken this squad as close as you possibly can without making it.
- Months ago, I was 110% "Page out", but he's made subtle tweaks and stopped us leaking goals. The defence were outstanding last night.
- Harry Wilson being a lead, not a bit-part changed the back end of the qualifiers.
- He'll be more than affordable
- He's earned the right (in my opinion, 1 spot kick away from mission success isn't a reason to get sacked for me)
- The effort, desire, team bonding etc is there to see
- The atmosphere is there

A strong/harsh "you need to be in contention mid way through the world cup qualifiers" goal should be put in place.

Those who are saying out, who do you suggest to replace??

That last part I would say is the million pound question isn't it. I suppose the obvious would be looking to your Coopers and Bellamys. At least they're seen as more progressive managers. Even Edwards would be a shout. I suppose if you think keeping it in house as a home grown 'they get it' kinda manager against a foreign manager which is just there for the money but has a pleatheror of tactical awareness.

Your right about the defence they were more solid but there's no gameplay seemingly or ideas of how to change a game. Poland were very poor last night but there was no shifting his mindset from whatever he hoped KM was going to bring last night and took off and moved the more technically sound and gifted players who could of created opportunities

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:55 am

Out. NQAT.

Gutted we went out on pens but he really shouldn't have been here after the WC performance and no way should be in charge for the next one, as we should have done better in this EQ campaign. So this is not a kneejerk view about simply going out last night. And if we had won, I still don't think he's the right man to take us forward and build.

I know Page has his fans but taking all sentiment out, you have to ask the question, would a better manager be getting more out of this squad? I think the answer to that is yes and that a better manager should be brought in.

He was always a band aid after Giggs (who I don't like) in a similar fashion to when Morison was brought in to manage us. I didn't particularly like Coleman either and felt that he was riding the amazing wave that Speedo had started.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:33 pm

Jestrix wrote:I think perhaps it's the manner of defeat as well as the result. We turned Belgium over in a tournament and lost to them at a whimper, Turkey haven't exactly got world beaters (much the same as Wales I suppose). I take your point about only the Armenia match on paper should of been a victory, I feel that perhaps I jumped the gun on my statement with the 4 in 18 but equally some of those draws another more tactically confident manager could of turned to victory.

As been stated James coming on against a tiring Poland line and put him at RWB when he should of been changing up top. Keeifer should of come off around the 70th minute mark when he was falling behind play. They say don't change a winning team and the way Wales were set up yesterday albeit with only one change (KM for DB) completely changed the way Wales had to play. I would of been interested to see the way the game played out had he set us up in the same way against Finland

Putting moore in t start contributed absolutely nothing to the game except win two headers ... rest game he was a passenger and did alter game plan if there was one to start with which was doubtful except to defend .