Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Was Lewandowski's penalty illegal?

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:06 am

I've watched Lewandowski's penalty 6 times and I'm convinced he stops in his run up and I thought that was illegal.

"Feinting" in a run up is legal as long as the penalty taker doesn't feint as he's kicking the ball but I thought that if a player stops in his run up then that is illegal.

Did anyone else notice this and does anyone know if "stopping" in the run up is definetly illegal?

Re: Was Lewandowski's penalty illegal?

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:14 am

I was always under the impression it was illegal I even shouted at the bloody tv that the ref should have disallowed That did me no good and my partner who is Polish thought i was mad

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:21 am

Abergavenny wrote:I was always under the impression it was illegal I even shouted at the bloody tv that the ref should have disallowed That did me no good and my partner who is Polish thought i was mad

I hope your partner didn't rub it in too much :thumbright:

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:29 am

MikeO76 wrote:I've watched Lewandowski's penalty 6 times and I'm convinced he stops in his run up and I thought that was illegal.

"Feinting" in a run up is legal as long as the penalty taker doesn't feint as he's kicking the ball but I thought that if a player stops in his run up then that is illegal.

Did anyone else notice this and does anyone know if "stopping" in the run up is definetly illegal?

Funny enough I said last night to people around me that he stopped in mid run! Can stutter but stopping is illegal but if you look at all of these types penalties ref or var never pick it up when players do stop completely.. mind you I thought ward should done home work if any player does stuttering run up they always slowly side foot into corner why didn't he stand still until kicked it I'm sure would have saved it ..

Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:01 am

pembroke allan wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:I've watched Lewandowski's penalty 6 times and I'm convinced he stops in his run up and I thought that was illegal.

Funny enough I said last night to people around me that he stopped in mid run! Can stutter but stopping is illegal but if you look at all of these types penalties ref or var never pick it up when players do stop completely.. mind you I thought ward should done home work if any player does stuttering run up they always slowly side foot into corner why didn't he stand still until kicked it I'm sure would have saved it ..

Yeah a lot of penalty takers feint or stutter when taking a penalty but that was the worst I've seen, he definitely stops and the ref was stood a few yards away with the same angle view as the TV camera.

I was thinking the same about Ward standing his ground. These type of pen takers always wait for the keeper to move first, like Rambo did against the jacks.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:23 am

MikeO76 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yeah a lot of penalty takers feint or stutter when taking a penalty but that was the worst I've seen, he definitely stops and the ref was stood a few yards away with the same angle view as the TV camera.

I was thinking the same about Ward standing his ground. These type of pen takers always wait for the keeper to move first, like Rambo did against the jacks.

Saw one earlier on Sky exactly the same MO by player and keeper so why don't keepers get trained by their coaches to counteract it? Higher chance save if do wait than just letting kicker score easily.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:30 am

Purely hypothetical of course, but you could argue if Lewandowski (who is without a doubt their talisman) had his penalty saved, the story would have been completely different.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:50 am

The first goal keeper to have the kahoonas to stand up to this and not commit, will end the way they do it. Its all about keepers movement and reacting to it.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:52 pm

SB 1927 wrote:The first goal keeper to have the kahoonas to stand up to this and not commit, will end the way they do it. Its all about keepers movement and reacting to it.

Yes your right .... but why don't their experience expensive coach see this? :o

Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:16 pm

I thought that, he completely stopped which I didn’t think you were allowed to do.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:38 pm

Underhill1927 wrote:I thought that, he completely stopped which I didn’t think you were allowed to do.

Yes he did and no its not allowed... but no ref or var as ever pulled player up for it as no opposition seems to take notice .

Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:31 pm

After Pogba’s antics with pens a few years ago FIFA banned stuttering/pausing stating that it had to be one fluid movement. lewandowski paused in his run up and therefore should have been made to retake it.

Nothing can be done about it though, Page/FAW should have said something last night