A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: "We won't get better than Bulut"!!!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:54 am

Roath_Blue wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
JB1 wrote:
kyle08 wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:Mike, I have to disagree.

There is enough managers coming and going in the championship each season, which means competition for the decent managers at this level.

We already know that Tan doesn't like putting his hand in his pocket, and with limited funds being offered in the transfer window, I don't feel we are as attractive a proposition as some other clubs who probably will be/have already had a new manager this season.

I understand your thinking but we are a big club in the Championship and there will be many out of work managers who would jump at a managerial vacancy at Cardiff. If not just to get back managing again.

Look at some of the new appointed managers this season:
Tony Mowbray at Birmingham
Danny Rohl at Sheff Wed
Marti Cifuentes at QPR
Liam Manning at Bristol City
Luke Williams at Swansea
Michael Beale at Sunderland
Steven Schumacher at Stoke
Ian Foster at Plymouth
John Eustace at Blackburn

Do you really think that none of those managers would come to Cardiff?

they would jump at a chance with cardiff because they are all terrible managers, most of them flopped and got sacked.

bulut has done a great job and with backing he will do better.

and that added factor of having the best win % as a manager at this club, with the huge transfer restrictions we have had !

And there's another line that gets put out over and over.. Bulut hasn't been backed. Admittedly he hasn't got all of the players on his wishlist, but that's the same for any manager. He has been allowed to bring in players though and he has been backed.

Exactly. Goutas and Siopis he wanted. Grant and Bowler were his loan players. In January we had Phillips, Horvath and Turnbull, all very good players, two with champions league experience.

Goutas, Siopis, Horvath and Grant have had good seasons in my opinion.

Turnbull I feel will come good.

Bowler hasn't been great but that being said, has chipped in with a couple of important goals.

He didn't get backed with the money for KM and ultimately had to bring in someone who he didn't want.

I agree with this.

Bulut didn't get all the money he wanted but he was backed. As JB1 said, that's the same with most managers.

If Bulut stays, can you see him getting all the money he wants for his first choice targets? I definitely can't!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 am

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:I’ve been consistent over the last few months that Bulut should stay.

My opinion is unchanged.

Me, too.. ! :thumbup:

My biggest worry for the 'we can get better' group is that whilst I believe that to be true in theory, we need to remember who the 'puppeteer' is and his record on appointments... :ayatollah:

It's not a case of who won't come here but who tan picks to come here and thats the worry...

That's exactly my point, Allan... :thumbup:

Yes that would be a big concern, but I'm hoping he's learnt from previous cheap appointments.

He's not a football man but he's a business man and he'll know crowds are down and will know season tickets sales to date.

If he wants to sell the club, he needs to make it an attractive acquisition.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 am

MikeO76 wrote:

There is enough managers coming and going in the championship each season, which means competition for the decent managers at this level.

We already know that Tan doesn't like putting his hand in his pocket, and with limited funds being offered in the transfer window, I don't feel we are as attractive a proposition as some other clubs who probably will be/have already had a new manager this season.

I understand your thinking but we are a big club in the Championship and there will be many out of work managers who would jump at a managerial vacancy at Cardiff. If not just to get back managing again.

Danny Rohl at Sheff Wed
Marti Cifuentes at QPR
Luke Williams at Swansea
Ian Foster at Plymouth

Thinking about being a "big club", what do you think defines that for us nowadays? Long history with some old cups, or recent Premier League experience?

It feels like our fan base is somewhat diminished (15-20k at home per game?), our transfer records have been patchy over the past 10 years and the issues with Sala and the court have given us relatively poor publicity.

Don't get me wrong, I feel we are more established as a capital club than even some PL clubs like Bournemouth, but I wonder if we overvalue ourselves sometimes.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:05 am

If Bulut does go, then I would want someone like Tim Walters to be brought in.

Hes a young(ish) manager who prefers an attacking 433 set up. Was at Hamburger until earlier this year, and I wouldn't imagine his wage is that much.

Just to reiterate, I want Bulut to stay but if he did go then I'd want someone like the above.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:07 am

MikeO76 wrote:I have read lots of posts saying that Bulut should be given a new contract because we won’t get better. Not a good enough reason for me. I understand why people think like that but it’s a bit negative.

Yes Tan has recruited within and cheaply in the past but we’ve also had Warnock and big Mick. OK Mick didn’t work out but he was a very experienced manager with 2 promotions to the prem.

Then there’s Erol Bulut, who these people want to keep cos they think we won’t get better. And be honest, who had heard of him this time last year.

My point is, Tan has also recruited good managers in the past so maybe, just maybe Tan hasn’t given Bulut a new contract because he has someone more experienced already sorted waiting to take over in the summer and is just letting Bulut see out his contract. :thumbup:

It's got nothing to do with whether we've heard of him or not, he's ten times better than Mick McCarthy, we've seen that

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:14 am

MikeO76 wrote:

Danny Rohl at Sheff Wed
Marti Cifuentes at QPR
Luke Williams at Swansea
Ian Foster at Plymouth

Do you think any are better than Bulut?

Which ones and why?

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:20 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:I’ve been consistent over the last few months that Bulut should stay.

My opinion is unchanged.

My biggest worry for the 'we can get better' group is that whilst I believe that to be true in theory, we need to remember who the 'puppeteer' is and his record on appointments... :ayatollah:

It's not a case of who won't come here but who tan picks to come here and thats the worry...

Exactly one good one from Tan, Warnock and that must have been luck and was ages ago, he also got lucky with Bulut and shouldn't go back to appointing Trollopes.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:01 am

Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:

My opinion is unchanged.

Exactly one good one from Tan, Warnock and that must have been luck and was ages ago, he also got lucky with Bulut and shouldn't go back to appointing Trollopes.

Bulut was dalmans choice.... good managers will come here but will tan want them Or like say is he blinded by cheap options like trollope? Not sure he will go back down that route but so unpredictable won't be surprised. Then needs to make mind up what he wants challenging for top 6 or challenging for relegation? Cheap option like purse will ultimately end in div 1 no question about that.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:06 am

Liles93 wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

Danny Rohl at Sheff Wed
Marti Cifuentes at QPR
Luke Williams at Swansea
Ian Foster at Plymouth

Thinking about being a "big club", what do you think defines that for us nowadays? Long history with some old cups, or recent Premier League experience?

It feels like our fan base is somewhat diminished (15-20k at home per game?), our transfer records have been patchy over the past 10 years and the issues with Sala and the court have given us relatively poor publicity.

Don't get me wrong, I feel we are more established as a capital club than even some PL clubs like Bournemouth, but I wonder if we overvalue ourselves sometimes.

We have spent the most amount of seasons in the championship in it's 20 year history, the only 2 occasions we weren't were in the prem. So from those stats alone, I think we are a big championship club.

Attendance wise, we can't compete with the likes of Leeds, Sunderland, Southampton, Sheff Wed but we have proved in the past the fans will attend in the big games and will continue to do so.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:13 am

Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:I have read lots of posts saying that Bulut should be given a new contract because we won’t get better. Not a good enough reason for me. I understand why people think like that but it’s a bit negative.

Yes Tan has recruited within and cheaply in the past but we’ve also had Warnock and big Mick. OK Mick didn’t work out but he was a very experienced manager with 2 promotions to the prem.

Then there’s Erol Bulut, who these people want to keep cos they think we won’t get better. And be honest, who had heard of him this time last year.

My point is, Tan has also recruited good managers in the past so maybe, just maybe Tan hasn’t given Bulut a new contract because he has someone more experienced already sorted waiting to take over in the summer and is just letting Bulut see out his contract. :thumbup:

It's got nothing to do with whether we've heard of him or not, he's ten times better than Mick McCarthy, we've seen that

It's got everything to do with my OP.

Point being, there are managers out there, many better than Bulut, that most of us are not aware of and may well jump at a chance to manage Cardiff. Bulut did and wants to stay. Which is response to posts saying we won't get better than Bulut.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

Bluebina wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:

Danny Rohl at Sheff Wed
Marti Cifuentes at QPR
Luke Williams at Swansea
Ian Foster at Plymouth

Do you think any are better than Bulut?

Which ones and why?

I think Mowbray, Manning, Schumacher and Eustace would all get better out of our squad than Bulut has to date.

I don't know much about Rohl or Cifuentes to comment on them.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 am

Roath_Blue wrote:If Bulut does go, then I would want someone like Tim Walters to be brought in.

Hes a young(ish) manager who prefers an attacking 433 set up. Was at Hamburger until earlier this year, and I wouldn't imagine his wage is that much.

Just to reiterate, I want Bulut to stay but if he did go then I'd want someone like the above.

Walters is a good shout. Young, enthusiastic and attack minded, that's what we need.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:03 pm

Perhaps we should look at it another way, are we saying if the manager had better players and a decent forward, attacking playmaker, ball carrying defenders he would still be negative . Is he perhaps stunted with the tools he has at his disposal and safety is parameter which brings alleged negativity?

Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:22 am

New Day Rising wrote:Perhaps we should look at it another way, are we saying if the manager had better players and a decent forward, attacking playmaker, ball carrying defenders he would still be negative . Is he perhaps stunted with the tools he has at his disposal and safety is parameter which brings alleged negativity?

He wasn't stunted with the tools he had at his disposal earlier in the season. The football has got worse as the season has progressed.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:12 am

JB1 wrote:
New Day Rising wrote:Perhaps we should look at it another way, are we saying if the manager had better players and a decent forward, attacking playmaker, ball carrying defenders he would still be negative . Is he perhaps stunted with the tools he has at his disposal and safety is parameter which brings alleged negativity?

He wasn't stunted with the tools he had at his disposal earlier in the season. The football has got worse as the season has progressed.

We had a fit Ramsey at the start of the season, along with Ugbo who (regardless of if people like his overall play) knew where the net was.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:09 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
JB1 wrote:

We had a fit Ramsey at the start of the season, along with Ugbo who (regardless of if people like his overall play) knew where the net was.

Is that the Ike Ugbo that scored one goal in about 17 games, then couldn't get in Bulut's squad, who Bulut shipped out?

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:39 pm

JB1 wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:
JB1 wrote:

Is that the Ike Ugbo that scored one goal in about 17 games, then couldn't get in Bulut's squad, who Bulut shipped out?

Its the ugbo that scored 4 in 20. So if you're going to make a point then say the overall situation instead of just the part that fits your agenda.

Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:02 pm

No agenda for me, just talking facts. You can add in the goals from the start of the season if you like, but it just supports my argument that the football got worse as the season went on. Ugbo stopped scoring because the football got worse. He left because the football got worse and Bulut didn't play to his strengths. Saying the football got worse after Ugbo left is making things up to suit your agenda.

Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:07 pm

JB1 wrote:No agenda for me, just talking facts. You can add in the goals from the start of the season if you like, but it just supports my argument that the football got worse as the season went on. Ugbo stopped scoring because the football got worse. He left because the football got worse and Bulut didn't play to his strengths. Saying the football got worse after Ugbo left is making things up to suit your agenda.

Just saying that Ugbo hasn’t scored in his last nine for Sheffield Wednesday, he’s started all those games.